#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

Miyamoto on Zelda U being open world:

"We used the term to make it easier for consumers to understand."

"I prefer not to use the generally used term “open world” when developing software, but we used this term [at E3] in order to make it easier for consumers to understand. This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily."

He does however go on to say the game is vast and a possible non-linear experience (like Aonuma discussed) awaits:

"In the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series, the player would play one dungeon at a time. For example, if there are eight dungeons, at the fourth dungeon, some players may think, “I’m already halfway through the game,” while other players may think, “I still have half of the game to play.

” We are trying to gradually break down such mechanism and develop a game style in which you can enjoy

“The Legend of Zelda” freely in a vast world, whenever you find the time to do so."

http://uk.ign.com/ar...ii-u-open-world

#2 FlamingFury

FlamingFury

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Futurama

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

From what I gathered from reading the full article, it sounds to me that Miyamoto does not like using the term open world to describe any game at all whether it be Zelda or Skyrim.

But it seems that he admits that this game world is so big it can only be considered open world.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Zelda is traditionally a level 3, or for the better ones, 4 on the six point sliding scale of linearity-open world. Recent entries since going 3d have been dangerously close to 2's.

Unfortunately, consumers have become so conditioned, brainwashed, and stupid, that such a slightly sophisticated concept would scare and confuse them, creating a negative halo effect where they falsely begin creating reasons to crucify the game.

So to avoid that, Miyamoto, with clear regret, goes with a more general, easier to understand, but not really true term.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

Zelda is traditionally a level 3, or for the better ones, 4 on the six point sliding scale of linearity-open world. Recent entries since going 3d have been 2's.

Unfortunately, consumers have become so conditioned, brainwashed, and stupid, that such a slightly sophisticated concept would scare and confuse them, creating a negative halo effect where they falsely begin creating reasons to crucify the game.

So to avoid that, Miyamoto, with clear regret, goes with a more general, easier to understand, but not really true term.

What exactly do you mean by 3's or 4's? Where did you get this rating from?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

What exactly do you mean by 3's or 4's? Where did you get this rating from?

http://tvtropes.org/...arityVsOpenness

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!