• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianTurtle

CanadianTurtle

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

I've been doing  a lot of research on the backwards compatibility for the Wii U and it's controllers.

There's the gamepad and the WiiU Pro Controller

My question is, when I'm on "Wii mode" for the Wii U, will I be able to use the gamepad or the WiiU Pro Controller for playing games I bought from the Wii Virtual Console? I'm not talking about the WiiU Virtual Console. I'm talking about the "Wii Mode" virtual console. I don't need the games to be displayed on the gamepad, I was just wondering if I can use the gamepad or WiiU Pro controller to play VC games (SNES, NES, N64). 

It's because I'm not really willing to go through the hassle of buying a Wii mote, and then spending extra money on batteries and a Wii Classic Controller. 

Also, I'm very worried that I won't be able to play Smash Bros Brawl with the new Gamecube controllers coming out (the ones where you plug them into the Wii mote). I don't want to get SSB4 when it comes out because I want to replay Brawl. It's because I feel like I didn't give it a fair chance when I owned it before, but now I'm more than excited to give it another chance. 

If I get the new "GameCube controller plugged into a Wii mote," or a "Gamecube Controller Adapter for Wii U,"  will one of these options allow me to play Brawl using the Wii U's Wii mode?

Please let me know.

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

No. To the first part.

Second part is vague but all we have

http://nintendoevery...riety-of-games/

So in short unclear at this point.

#3 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

No you can't use the Gamepad/Pro for the Wii VC. The GC Controllers that plug into the WiiMote aren't Nintendo made but from a third party, Nintendo will be releasing GC Controllers alongside the new Smash and GC adapter. It's not sure if you can use the Nintendo made ones in the Wii Mode and I can't say anything about the third party ones.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#4 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Nope unfortunately the Wii U Pro and the Gamepad aren't really backwards compatable with anything.

I think you've gotta use Wii Mote / Wii Mote + nuchchuck or Wii Classic Controller for anything on the original Wii...games or shop games. A lot of the games are available on both Wii and Wii U shops now so if you only own on the Wii they let you upgrade to the Wii U for $1. Upgrading would allow you to use the gamepad. Probably not the Wii U pro however. I'm finding that many if not most eshop games are gamepad only.

I strongly doubt the new gamecube controllers will be backwards compatable. They'll probably be in line with Wii U Pro in terms of compatability.

Edited by alex15810, 20 August 2014 - 07:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!