• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

This is where the road of microtransaction, dlc, extrinsic game treadmills, mobile scam design, steam, and the culture cultivated by the modern gaming industry leads.

The games are devalued to the point of being worthless, and with them, and as a result, YOU are worthless. I am worthless, WE are all worthless. Worth less than half a cup of coffee. And its not just indie devs. You hear it all the time from major publishers now too. Talking about us like cattle they bleed for every drop of profit, thinly disguised as marketing speak.

This is the cancerous, leprosy ridden reality, of where videogames are now.

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

Once upon a time, back in the early 2000s or so, games would sell for about $20 or so. Some developers did really well at that price point – I mean really well. Most of us didn’t do that well, and made beer money, but we carried on making games anyway because that’s what we liked to do, even if nobody wanted them. When we got a customer we were able to treat them like royalty. Apart from there not being that many of them, twenty bucks is a pretty reasonable chunk of money and you should damned well expect it to work properly.

Then Steam came (and to a lesser extent, Big Fish Games).

Things changed fast. So fast that in other industries it would have been seen as a cataclymically disruptive event. The upshot of it is, within 5 short years, the value of an independent game plummeted from about $20 to approximately $1, with very few exceptions. Steam is great! You can sell loads of games! But only if they’re less than $10. Technically Valve don’t actually dictate the prices we charge. Actually, they do. Utterly. It’s just not talked about. In fact technically, I don’t think anyone’s allowed to talk about it.

Then came the Humble Bundle and all its little imitators.

It was another cataclysmically disruptive event, so soon on the heels of the last. Suddenly you’ve got a massive problem on your hands. You’ve sold 40,000 games! But you’ve only made enough money to survive full-time for two weeks because you’re selling them for 10 cents each. And several hundred new customers suddenly want their computers fixing for free. And when the dust from all the bundles has settled you’re left with a market expectation of games now that means you can only sell them for a dollar. That’s how much we sell our games for. One dollar. They’re meant to be $10, but nobody buys them at $10. They buy them when a 90% discount coupon lands in their Steam inventory. We survive only by the grace of 90% coupon drops, which are of course entirely under Valve’s control. It doesn’t matter how much marketing we do now, because Valve control our drip feed.

Where does this lead us to?

You are worthless to us.

Where once you were worth $20, and then you might have become a fan and bought another 4 games off of us for $20, you were worth $100. We only had to fix your computer for you once, as well, so the next four games amortised the cost of the initial support. If we were lucky you were a gamer and already had drivers and liked our stuff and bought the lot. Sometimes you’d tell your friends and maybe one of them would buy a game from us.

But now?

Now you’re worth $1 to us. If you buy every one of our games, you’re worth $5. After Valve and the tax man and the bank take their cuts, you’re not even worth half a cup of coffee. So, while we’re obsequiously polite and helpful when you do contact us for support, even if it’s just the same old “please install some actual video drivers” response, you really should be aware that you are a dead loss. Even if you buy everything we ever make again. Even if all your friends buy everything we ever make again. You just cost us money. Not just fictitious, huge-piles-of-filthy-lucre indie-game-developer who made-it-big money. All our money. We barely scratch a living, like most indie game developers. You quite literally cost us lunch because the shop sold you a computer with broken software on it.

Gamings never been better guys.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

The saddest thing about this is that very, very few people actually care, and even fewer will actually ry to do anything about it.

I already have the scorn of pretty every gamer I know for boycutting EA.

People are selfish, and will do anything to convince themselves there's nothing they can do to fix the problems they know exist if it means they get their "deals".

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

For years now I try and support games I think we need more of or I know will be niche or I want see succeed. I don't just mean by buying them. Ys I buy the CE as I know those put a strain on Xseed. I get them new and full price. Darksiders II knowing I loved the series and knew a lot banked on that game I got the 100$ CE the CD OST the Guide the Artbook and spent close to 200$ trying to support it. Xenoblade,The Last Story I bought twice. Once as imports and once in the US brand new. To show support. Platinum Games same thing.

Indie games I double dipped at full price for Mighty Switch Force. I bought Gone Home $20 full price upon release and went against my rule for price on digital games. I have bought some 1$ games on PSN a couple times most were PS1 games. Thing is even tho I make very little money and still spend within my means with careful planning I try to show as much support as I can.

I don't do this for series I know will sell and be around forever like Sonic even tho I love Sonic. Sure I pre order some bigger names like Mario Kart 8. I didn't for MK7 tho got it used. Got Sonic Lost World discounted price. Those series be around til the end of gaming. Ass Creed screw it. Cod lol never. Madden god no. I do buy a madden every few years used for 1$ as I am a NFL fan. When I am done with that madden I throw it in the trash and keep the case as the case is nice for backups.

I don't do humble sales for one most the stuff is trash. Two the games I bought on steam I have played every single one of the 40 or so. Not a great amount but selected and don't plan to fill my HDD with games I don't play.

#4 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Is he really saying they only get pennies from our games and cents from humble bundle?!?
Lets use this weeks humble bundle do example, it's almost sold $300,000. The default customisation ratio is 16:5:4 to 16 for developers, this gives $190,000 to developers, split that with 8 companies and you get yourself $23,000 to split between a few people who made the game, if you can only live with $23,000 for 2 weeks, something is really wrong.
(P.S it's only the first day of humble bundle week (edit: first 4 hours), by last day the sales will go to millions of dollars.)
Unless I'm missing something very vital here, please tell me if I am.

Edited by Chrop, 19 August 2014 - 01:52 PM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Is he really saying they only get pennies from our games and cents from humble bundle?!?
Lets use this weeks humble bundle do example, it's almost sold $300,000. The default customisation ratio is 16:5:4 to 16 for developers, this gives $190,000 to developers, split that with 8 companies and you get yourself $23,000 to split between a few people who made the game, if you can only live with $23,000 for 2 weeks, something is really wrong.
(P.S it's only the first day of humble bundle week (edit: first 4 hours), by last day the sales will go to millions of dollars.)
Unless I'm missing something very vital here, please tell me if I am.

Youre missing quite a bit.

First, they arent talking about themselves, but the Indie scene as a whole, they are actually doing quite well.

Second, you mentioned a humble bundle. Said what, 16 dev studios? Ok, now go see how many studios and games there are on steam that DIDNT get the promotion of being in a humble bundle. Over 3000. By tomorrow there will be hundreds more.
The biggest problem is having anyone knowing your game exists at all in an environment like that.

Back the the lottery winners who made it in the bundle.

You are also missing valves cut, then the companys income tax, then the banks cut, (not too mention personal income tax on whatever cut an individual gets), and then, whats left of that isnt for rainbows and giggles, its not for buying pizza, we arent even getting to surviving as a person yet, hes talking about surviving as a studio. As in that money needs to finance the development of the next game over the next year AND be enough left over to pay apartment rent and pizza. And you know, maybe a christmas present for the kid.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Youre missing quite a bit.

First, they arent talking about themselves, but the Indie scene as a whole, they are actually doing quite well.

Second, you mentioned a humble bundle. Said what, 16 dev studios? Ok, now go see how many studios and games there are on steam that DIDNT get the promotion of being in a humble bundle. Over 3000. By tomorrow there will be hundreds more.
The biggest problem is having anyone knowing your game exists at all in an environment like that.

Back the the lottery winners who made it in the bundle.

You are also missing valves cut, then the companys income tax, then the banks cut, (not too mention personal income tax on whatever cut an individual gets), and then, whats left of that isnt for rainbows and giggles, its not for buying pizza, we arent even getting to surviving as a person yet, hes talking about surviving as a studio. As in that money needs to finance the development of the next game over the next year AND be enough left over to pay apartment rent and pizza. And you know, maybe a christmas present for the kid.

Thank you! I thought I was missing something, seemed too easy at first glance :s

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thank you! I thought I was missing something, seemed too easy at first glance :s

You should have expressed that better in your post. Seems like you thought the claim was straight up ridiculous.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

You should have expressed that better in your post. Seems like you thought the claim was straight up ridiculous.

I did think my claim was ridiculous, because the guy himself has a TON of experience whereas I have None. So he would easily know more than me. So I was actually confused as to why they're making pennies from humble bundle even when $100,000+ go to the developers. 

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

I did think my claim was ridiculous, because the guy himself has a TON of experience whereas I have None. So he would easily know more than me. So I was actually confused as to why they're making pennies from humble bundle even when $100,000+ go to the developers.

And I really think that was the point of his entry. To give a window of insight to a world that otherwise would be completely invisible to the consumer end.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!