Photo

Let's discuss my idea (a gaming tablet)...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

For a brief overview, I wanted to start a computer shop and had the idea turned down by Kickstarter and couldn't get it near fully funded on Indiegogo. A rejection letter from Kickstarter gave me the idea of starting not a computer business, but a gaming tablet with custom made games for it.

I figure my best chances possible are on Kickstarter, to get this gaming tablet funded. However, they have rejected me a whopping 6 times over 2 projects. It started out they would give me vague explanations of how my project didn't follow the rules. I followed every suggestion and every time I ended up following one of their rules to the T, they proposed that my project was breaking one of their other vague, unwritten rules afterward and rejected the project anyway. I have been rejected for reasons such as "Cannot pay another manufacturer to create your product, have to do it from scratch" and "Your business has to create something, that creates or shares something, in one of our categories" and "You must show your work".

While some might also sympathize with Kickstarter's rules, remember if I was AAA and had a good work relationship with them, they would probably completely overlook it.

Oh and Sorcerer, I'm still going to give you something special over that $50. I won't forget you when I'm famous.

#2 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

They allow a potato salad kickstarter and won't allow something like a business.

by chance

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

They allow a potato salad kickstarter and won't allow something like a business.

The strangest thing I've seen is a macaroni and cheese shop on there. There are also troll projects there, but my guess is those were eligible to bypass community review or something.

#4 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

Kickstarter is more or less a funding site for the creation of a product, while Indiegogo is for everything else.

Yes, potato salad is a product.

Edited by Tom, 20 October 2014 - 06:18 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#5 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Kickstarter is more or less a funding site for the creation of a product, while Indiegogo is for everything else.

Yes, potato salad is a product.

I wouldn't really consider making a potato salad something you would really need to take to kickstarter.

by chance

#6 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

I wouldn't really consider making a potato salad something you would really need to take to kickstarter.

It is if you're in on the joke.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#7 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:49 AM

"You must show your work"

It's as simple as this, you can't start a kickstater without having something to back it up with. Otherwise you could simply be a guy who wants money with no real goal in mind. You may say you want to open a shop but to them all you have to show for it is your word, which because you're human, we can't trust :S

All you had was an idea, other kickstarters had proof that they were already in the middle of their project. Proof to show "This is what were doing". 

The guy who wanted to make a potato salad was making a joke to start with, hence why it got accepted.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#8 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

"Show your work" = show concepts of what is already made

It's not to prove something to people, it's to prevent them being sued for buyer's remorse.

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:31 AM

For a brief overview, I wanted to start a computer shop and had the idea turned down by Kickstarter and couldn't get it near fully funded on Indiegogo. A rejection letter from Kickstarter gave me the idea of starting not a computer business, but a gaming tablet with custom made games for it.

I figure my best chances possible are on Kickstarter, to get this gaming tablet funded. However, they have rejected me a whopping 6 times over 2 projects. It started out they would give me vague explanations of how my project didn't follow the rules. I followed every suggestion and every time I ended up following one of their rules to the T, they proposed that my project was breaking one of their other vague, unwritten rules afterward and rejected the project anyway. I have been rejected for reasons such as "Cannot pay another manufacturer to create your product, have to do it from scratch" and "Your business has to create something, that creates or shares something, in one of our categories" and "You must show your work".

While some might also sympathize with Kickstarter's rules, remember if I was AAA and had a good work relationship with them, they would probably completely overlook it.

Oh and Sorcerer, I'm still going to give you something special over that $50. I won't forget you when I'm famous.

Depending on your ideas for a gaming tablet, simply providing some sort of mock up, sketch or prototype would put alot of the rejections to rest. Of course, this all depends upon what exactly you had in mind for the tablet.

Check into some other funding sites, or even a system like Patreon could be useful. Patreon seems more for content creators but really they are open to just about anything. From music, video, websites, indie games... and they even say anything you want to share.

http://www.patreon.com/faq

Edited by Sorceror12, 21 October 2014 - 05:31 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

Kickstarter wants a working prototype, Sorceror.

And I can only deliver that with "help", when they don't want me to get "help". Help being assistance from other people who aren't on my team.

Edited by Porridge, 21 October 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#11 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

Kickstarter wants a working prototype, Sorceror.

And I can only deliver that with "help", when they don't want me to get "help". Help being assistance from other people who aren't on my team.

Ah I see. Well certainly look into patreon as a platform for your ideas. I think it's at least worth a look.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

KS is great in the right hands. Funded my friends game. Got me year 2 of Nintendo Force Magazine. Getting a new MEGA MAN game in spirit next year.

Starting a business isn't for a place like KS. Also you need a business license and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo and be over 18 years old.

In the meantime you can do it the old fashioned way. Out of the garage or basement repair your friends PC's and people in the nieghborhood and work your way to your goal of having an official business. Going to take a lot of time and hard work bud. Not begging people online for money. Can't learn that way.

It works for projects not a business and yes the salad thing was stupid. I agree on that.

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Woohoo! Kickstarter accepted my gaming tablet idea! I take back everything I said! If you want to see the page, PM me.

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

Woohoo! Kickstarter accepted my gaming tablet idea! I take back everything I said! If you want to see the page, PM me.

post here

#15 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

post here

I'll have to PM Mournblade and ask him first, though. There's a rule against advertising without the staff's permission.

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

I'll have to PM Mournblade and ask him first, though. There's a rule against advertising without the staff's permission.

have you seen my signature?  :)  pm'd you anyways

Edited by Sorceror12, 22 October 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#17 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

Check out my signature for link.

Mourn, if I'm doing something wrong, please forgive me :).

This thread can probably be locked since the issue with Kickstarter has been resolved, making most complaints irrelevant.

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

Check out my signature for link.

Mourn, if I'm doing something wrong, please forgive me :).

This thread can probably be locked since the issue with Kickstarter has been resolved, making most complaints irrelevant.

Might as well keep the thread up. It would be nice to stay updated on how things go and issues or odd things you may run into.

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

I started a Kickstarter to make a gaming tablet. I have my doubts that the Kickstarter will reach its goal. But I have to be prepared if it does.

My goal is to make games reminiscent of oldschool Sega and Nintendo, mainly, but offer some of my own innovation. And to offer a very strong first-party focus, even if it's at the expense of third-party.

The tablet has a 9.7" screen and is a touch under as powerful as a Fire TV. Unfortunately, it may have to carry a price tag of $299. Not because I'm greedy, but because it takes money to make things in small quantities and also have enough left over to fund games.

My goal is also to aim at people who want something better than a $1-$2 Google Play or iOS App Store game, but don't want to spend $60. The games will be priced under a commercial 3DS game though - I don't really expect most of them to be quite as good in all areas.

People will ask, why not make an Android console to save money? Well with all the engineering, it will only be cheaper in quantities of 1000 and up, pretty much - the way I see it.

This is not a post begging for money. If I don't reach my funding goal, oh well. It's more like a post that's saying, hypothetically if I do get funded, what do you think?

You can check out this further in my signature link. Some of the things I had to show weren't as good as I would have liked, but showing something is often much better than showing nothing.

Many of you will say, you don't know what you're getting into. But I have been making games as a hobby for the past 14 years.

P.S. I forgot to mention, I would be going with 16GB storage since the 8GB storage of Android consoles really bugs me. Even if I expect my own games to only be probably 300MB a piece.

Edited by Porridge, 22 October 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

I started a new thread for this. We need to get the focus on Kickstarter and my tablet, and off the negativity I have created surrounding the platform with this Opening Post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!