Photo

Let's discuss my idea (a gaming tablet)...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

For a brief overview, I wanted to start a computer shop and had the idea turned down by Kickstarter and couldn't get it near fully funded on Indiegogo. A rejection letter from Kickstarter gave me the idea of starting not a computer business, but a gaming tablet with custom made games for it.

I figure my best chances possible are on Kickstarter, to get this gaming tablet funded. However, they have rejected me a whopping 6 times over 2 projects. It started out they would give me vague explanations of how my project didn't follow the rules. I followed every suggestion and every time I ended up following one of their rules to the T, they proposed that my project was breaking one of their other vague, unwritten rules afterward and rejected the project anyway. I have been rejected for reasons such as "Cannot pay another manufacturer to create your product, have to do it from scratch" and "Your business has to create something, that creates or shares something, in one of our categories" and "You must show your work".

While some might also sympathize with Kickstarter's rules, remember if I was AAA and had a good work relationship with them, they would probably completely overlook it.

Oh and Sorcerer, I'm still going to give you something special over that $50. I won't forget you when I'm famous.

I'm going to be honest. I looked up your kickstarted and wanted to help. But it didn't seem like there was enough of a plan to get going and /or to actually SUSTAIN a business once it was running.

I think you had a wonderful dream and that's what the funding page sounded like. A dream.

Dreams are great. Without them, we wouldn't have the motive to pursue and achieve them.

By all means dream and dream big.

But remember to lay some serious practical groundwork down as you do. It's hard work. But it worth every hour.

Write a business plan and really work through every thing. Including an exit plan if necessary.

There are a number of wonderful helps on the subject freely available and there is a great resource specifically to help small business entrepreneurs.

I got my start at Devry University where I first heard of this wonderful resource (which most know about by now). If you haven't already please check it out.

I hope to read in the not too distant future that you have a dream that you have achieved.

Don't get caught up in the generic "computer/computer parts store" thing. There are many that beat you to it and it's difficult to make it unless you have a lot of industry connections already.

If you're going to do something, do it to where you have a genuine reason to exist and offer something that stands out. Then when you can, find people with talent who fit your vision And can move you to new heights and bring them onboard. Just be sure to have your business foundation in order to protect yourself from those you bring along who may want to take over now and then. Lol

Also... Regarding a gaming tablet... That's a tough sell to start but more power to you. Why don't you design and have a prototype made? Hire a friend with programming skills to get a prototype running. Even on another tablet. Just as a proof of concept. But be prepared to communicate your vision both to those you sell to and those you want to help build your dream.

Because "computer store" or "gaming tablet..." No.

I think you may have a truly great idea brewing. But you need to communicate it in a way that grabs people. Don't give any secrets away. But sell the dream.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 October 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#22 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

I like your passion and it seems you have a lot of ideas and things you'd like to accomplish. Have you considered holding off on the hardware route and focusing on your own game dev studio?

I think if you can sharpen your focus in the development of the games you would be better off in the long run. Do you have a website for your game development? That could be a good starting point as you could showcase your work, upcoming projects, post updates, build a community and even take donations via paypal.

I still think you would be good for the Patreon platform. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#23 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

What I have found to be true so far regarding the project:

Most advertising people and advertising agencies for your projects, are scam artists. True, honest advertising might actually help your campaign, I don't know, but advertising companies who you pay to advertise for you, will just use their advertising skills to make it sound like they'll help your project, then do things the wrong way to save loads of time for themselves, and will make you little to no money while cashing in on you.

Now I'm not saying that all advertising people are bad. Just that you have to be careful, because most I have encountered are.

Edited by Porridge, 23 October 2014 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!