• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

So I had an old thread where I listed my top 20 favorite games of all-time. I tried to edit it to revive it, but my post got botched up. So I'm posting a new, updated one - some two years later. My choices:

20. Star Fox 64 (N64) - This is one game you can never play enough, despite how much you play it. It has villains which you love to hate, and great missions. It has it all.

19. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - Short, but a great game. A decent level of depth is achieved in the 3 hours it takes to beat this. Also features the original Metroid (NES) when you're done. Add to that multiple ending screens, and you have 19.

18. Super Mario RPG (SNES) - The best Mario RPG in my opinion. This game oozes quality, and has great graphics and interesting scenarios.

17. Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - Two great Sonic games that can only be linked together. Say what you want about them, but these two are some of the best in 3D Sonics. Chao are also fun, when you get tired of the game.

16. Megaman X (SNES) - A must-play game. Easy to learn but hard to master.

15. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - A great Zelda game. Not the best. This game isn't overrated, it deserves its praise, but barely so. Still a fine game featuring many dungeons and an engrossing adventure.

14. Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - A memorable game with great pixel art and memorable characters. The opera scene goes down as one of the greatest game scenes of all-time.

13. The Last Story (Wii) - Once you finished the campaign, you had a whole other game to play - the online.

12. Toejam & Earl (Sega Genesis) - A great game that is wacky fun with a friend. You play as one of two aliens and must advance through a dangerous world while using powerups.

11. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) - It's hard to pick a choice between Sonic and Mario. I prefer Sonic as a whole. It's a shame some of his later titles were botched.

10. Halo: Combat Evolved (XBox) - A great game for its time with mechanics that are still good. The campaign and multiplayer were fun for their time, especially fighting Hunters and Capture the Flag, respectively. Unfortunately, unlike most Nintendo and old Square games, it hasn't aged well.

9. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PS Vita) - I'm not sure what's funnier... this game's humor, or its attempts at it. With about 60 hours or more of gameplay total, abundant humor, and a good battle system, this game is incredible.

8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GameCube) - The music was epic, and so was the game. The transfer between Light and Dark world made the game. The game did a great job of making you feel alone.

7. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus (PS1) - An unexpected entry, Abe's Exoddus is a fun and weird game that, unlike the one before it, allowed you to save anywhere.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) - An innovative game. Playing it gives me thrills and chills. The town is well-done. And if you like difficulty, some of the moments in this game make it the game for you.

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - A Link to the Past features a funny and robust Dark World, cool music, and cool dungeons.

4. Super Mario World (SNES) - A simple game, but a good one with nice features - like the Halloween edition.

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - This game featured splendid graphics and fine gameplay. You couldn't help but laugh at some of the character designs. This is the best Donkey Kong.

2. Super Metroid (SNES) - THE best Metroid game. This game is an absolute classic. Barely beaten by number 1.

1. Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA) - Golden Sun delivered in almost every way. It's a cool game now, but it was an even more extraordinary game then. Breathtaking and with great characterization, you can't afford to miss it. Its sequel Golden Sun: The Lost Age, I am also listing - it's an incredible game, one almost as good as the first before it.

What games on my list haven't you played?

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

EDIT: Was going to post my faves but have to head out. Sorry. Post later

Edited by Ryudo, 10 November 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

Have yet to play 7, 9 and 13.

#12.... I loved that game. Such a silly game but addicting. I think the cheese factor won me over. My friend brought it over to play and I wasn't sure what the heck it was. We sat and played coop for hours on end. Jammin!

Oh, and a quick note about #3, when I first saw it I couldn't believe it was a SNES game. Graphics amazed me so much, back then it almost seemed like the levels were alive. Such memories.

Edited by Sorceror12, 10 November 2014 - 10:32 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

#3 was my brother's favorite. He used to look at it and say, "Video game graphics can't get any better than this!"

#5 Teddy

Teddy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • NNID:latios
  • Fandom:
    mlp

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

my #1 would be Mario kart double dash

cant have signature cuz of internet explorer :/

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

my #1 would be Mario kart double dash

That was a great game. My #2 favorite Mario Kart.

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

(3

This game I love so much I have it on Steam,bought the physical Japan only version and got it on Wii U. I love RPGs. I love beat em ups. Mix the two together and get this.  I can never get enough of this game and GK who worked on the first made Dragon's Crown. My 2013 GOTY.

Spoiler

(2

This game defined Dreamcast and it was the first console game ever to give a player full freedom in the world. Pick up random objects. Go in any building. NPC's all voice acted and had daily routines and each day was different. Firts game to have Random Weather. The game was the most visually stunning thing anyone had seen then. Even better than PC games of the time. That is unheard of. Some hate it because it's a slow burner. Those who love it is because the music and characters and enviroments are so immersive. It was a bit to ambitious for it's own good to the point the Saga was never finished.

Spoiler

(1

Hard for me to pur into words why I love this game so much. Before I do that tho going to tell ya a little secret. Not Squaresoft and not Enix invented the JRPG. They created turn based. The first JRPG is from Falcom in 1984 called Dragon Slayer and it's an ARPG. In 1987 they created a series called Ys(eace). It's like an Action RPG mixed with Zelda on steroids. Series is still around and getting a new entry on PS4 next year. Every game has the same Hero. Adol Christian. I love the whole series but man Books I & II where it call began. Bosses were so well made. The music from the legendary Yuzo Koshiro which I think is his best work and one of the best soundtracks in the history of gaming. I own this game so many times over. It's on Steam,PSP and PSN. Ther is a game on DS just it's the worst version of it. Still good but not great. Steam and PSN is the best version as it's a remake. Ys is great for those wanting to get into a JRPG but hate Turnbased. Pure action and fast paced.

Spoiler

Why only 3 games? I don't do lists at all for anything ever. I only have these top 3. Everything else I can really love or be equal with others. These 3 stay this way.

Edited by Ryudo, 10 November 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

I try not to say my favourite ever games because I will end up thinking about it too much and editing my list every day lol.

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, listing your favourite games tends to be a bad idea for two reasons: you never know if your list is too small or too big to be okay to express, and you always tend to forget a large number of games that easily rearrange your list and make you feel unsatisfied. Very few can make a list and stick to it (like Ryudo).

But this thread isn't about lists that aren't Potato's.

I've played every game on that list with the exception of Toe Jam and Earl. Never owned a Megadrive to play it on. There were a few games on that list that made me think meh, and others that were missing that I honestly would've expected to see, the main culprits being Xenoblade and Super Smash Bros., but it is an opinion piece and so very hard to shove into 20 slots. At least it's more fair than the latest season of X-Factor.

ZING!

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

But this thread isn't about lists that aren't Potato's.

I don't see anything wrong with people posting their own lists here...

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Because the topic is Potato's Top 20, and the question is what do you think about Potato's Top 20. Otherwise you could've necro'd 500 other threads.

BUT SINCE YOU ARE GIVING PERMISSION

20) Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor/Successor to the Skies

Nope nope, screw furry railshooters. Jetpacks, Hoverboards, and giant robot chickens trying to kill you with fire is where it is at. People turn into monsters, your dad is a monster, but you turn into a holy knight yeah baby. And the fight scene with Deko just oozes Isa for Smash Bros.

19) Metroid Prime

Nope nope. Screwattack them ammo counts. Wave lasers all dayzers. I seriously don't think any of the Metroid games ever touched the mysterious feel of ancient civilisations than this one did. Heck, probably did it better than any Zelda. Ugh, might as well change that to Metroid Prime Trilogy though.

19) Metroid Prime Trilogy

This.

18) Chrono Trigger

Bestest SNES RPG. No, not DS. Don't fool yourselves.

17) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Gamecube)

Because 2 Players that gotta go fast is better than one.

16) Mega Man X4

Best Mega Man X undisputed. Best music goes to Maverick Rising though.

15) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Best Zelda because you can animorph. Wii because you can swords.

14) Final Fantasy Tactics

Game is hard to start with, especially if you keep doing the first level with just Ramza and Delita before figuring out that you can add more units to the field (shut up), but becomes really fun with a Ninja rape party.

Ninja Rape Party.

13) Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

From worst MMO to best MMO sans Runescape. Please accept this before I change it.

13) Runescape

I hate you guys.

12) Earthworm Jim

By far my favourite punish on the Megadrive. It was either going to be this or Super Star Wars. SSW can take a pencil up the arse.

11) Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap B)

And at this point you can't tell if this is a legit list or not, because everyone knows I don't **** around with Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

10) Call of Duty 4: Black Ops II

I'm like, the best on Wii U.

9) Natural Doctrine

No seriously, go play this if you like crazy arse mechanics in SRPGs, it's dungeon crawling, shooter SRPG and melee SRPG in one and jesus Christ it makes you self punish so hard so fast. I didn't cry, honest. One mistake can shoot your morale to the bottom of a bottomless pit.

8) Aliens Isolation

I want to play this with a Wii Vitality Sensor and have Iwata tell me to stop playing because I'm going to die in real life.

7) Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return  B) B) B)

Best PSOne platformer. Will also take Croc 2 as an acceptable answer.

6) Kingdom Hearts II

Wait, I can do better than that.

6) Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix

Better.

5) Darksiders

DARKSIDERS IS THE BEST ZELDA! SONIC RACING TRANSFORMED IS BEST MARIO KART!

4) Super Mario Galaxy

The only Mario that is truly enchanting. Honest opinion.

3) Banjo Kazooie

Because I really don't like Donkey Kong 64. Sorry, I just don't.

2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl

RIP Wolf Main. I pray day and night that you DLC.

1) Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

Troll list complete.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

Because the topic is Potato's Top 20, and the question is what do you think about Potato's Top 20. Otherwise you could've necro'd 500 other threads.

BUT SINCE YOU ARE GIVING PERMISSION

20) Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor/Successor to the Skies
Nope nope, screw furry railshooters. Jetpacks, Hoverboards, and giant robot chickens trying to kill you with fire is where it is at. People turn into monsters, your dad is a monster, but you turn into a holy knight yeah baby. And the fight scene with Deko just oozes Isa for Smash Bros.

19) Metroid Prime
Nope nope. Screwattack them ammo counts. Wave lasers all dayzers. I seriously don't think any of the Metroid games ever touched the mysterious feel of ancient civilisations than this one did. Heck, probably did it better than any Zelda. Ugh, might as well change that to Metroid Prime Trilogy though.

19) Metroid Prime Trilogy
This.

18) Chrono Trigger
Bestest SNES RPG. No, not DS. Don't fool yourselves.

17) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Gamecube)
Because 2 Players that gotta go fast is better than one.

16) Mega Man X4
Best Mega Man X undisputed. Best music goes to Maverick Rising though.

15) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Best Zelda because you can animorph. Wii because you can swords.

14) Final Fantasy Tactics
Game is hard to start with, especially if you keep doing the first level with just Ramza and Delita before figuring out that you can add more units to the field (shut up), but becomes really fun with a Ninja rape party.

Ninja Rape Party.

13) Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
From worst MMO to best MMO sans Runescape. Please accept this before I change it.

13) Runescape

I hate you guys.

12) Earthworm Jim
By far my favourite punish on the Megadrive. It was either going to be this or Super Star Wars. SSW can take a pencil up the arse.

11) Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap B)
And at this point you can't tell if this is a legit list or not, because everyone knows I don't **** around with Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

10) Call of Duty 4: Black Ops II
I'm like, the best on Wii U.

9) Natural Doctrine
No seriously, go play this if you like crazy arse mechanics in SRPGs, it's dungeon crawling, shooter SRPG and melee SRPG in one and jesus Christ it makes you self punish so hard so fast. I didn't cry, honest. One mistake can shoot your morale to the bottom of a bottomless pit.

8) Aliens Isolation
I want to play this with a Wii Vitality Sensor and have Iwata tell me to stop playing because I'm going to die in real life.

7) Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return  B) B) B)
Best PSOne platformer. Will also take Croc 2 as an acceptable answer.

6) Kingdom Hearts II
Wait, I can do better than that.

6) Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Better.

5) Darksiders
DARKSIDERS IS THE BEST ZELDA! SONIC RACING TRANSFORMED IS BEST MARIO KART!

4) Super Mario Galaxy
The only Mario that is truly enchanting. Honest opinion.

3) Banjo Kazooie
Because I really don't like Donkey Kong 64. Sorry, I just don't.

2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
RIP Wolf Main. I pray day and night that you DLC.

1) Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Troll list complete.

thank-you.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!