• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

Tetsuya Takahashi, the director of Xenoblade Chronicles X took to twitter again today, this time to discuss the games plot. The folk at Siliconera have translated the tweets allowing us the gleam some new information about the game.

Firstly it was revealed the main script writer of Xenoblade Chornicles, Yuchiro Takeda, is returning for the sequel.

Takahashi then went on to say:

“After the ‘basic’ fantasy story for [Xenoblade], we’re having him write a deep sci-fi story this time around”

Takahashi went on to reiterate that Hiroyuki Sawano (who worked on Attack on Titan) is in charge off the sound direction & Kunihiko Tanaka (who has worked on a number of Xen
o games) is in charge of character designs and Takahashi chose Tanaka in order to "bring out the Xeno-ness in the art".

http://www.gonintend...ep-sci-fi-story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear lord this really is the new Phantasy Star. Said it in a status update but go into a little further. Backwhen Nintendo was king with NES and SNES they had all sorts of RPGs. Sega had a few on their systems like Shining Force (to compete with Fire Emblem) Beyond Oasis,Lunar,Sword of Vermillion and more. However in 1987 NES was king and would get games like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Sega had little to no third party support much like Wii U. Sega wanted to compete with Final Fantasy and such and created a big world sci fi RPG called Phantasy Star. Now we have the online MMO but that's a spin off. PS series went a few entries.

Nintendo with Wii U has little to no third party support. It needs a big world RPG on it's system to competer with Final Fantasy. Now we have this sci fi RPG series. So much of XCX is similar to PS. So excuse me as I am giddy like a school girl.

#2 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I like how they call Xenoblade a basic fantasy story.  Basic by Nintendo standards usually means, "Person has been kidnapped, go save them."  I'm excited to see what they consider a deep story, especially since I've never actually played a Xeno game (I've only watched a play through of Xenoblade).

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#3 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

I like how they call Xenoblade a basic fantasy story.  Basic by Nintendo standards usually means, "Person has been kidnapped, go save them."  I'm excited to see what they consider a deep story, especially since I've never actually played a Xeno game (I've only watched a play through of Xenoblade).

I'm imaging from what I know of Gears/Saga that it will go a lot more into the themes of religion and such. From what I know(Haven't played either game/Trilogy yet) the Xeno games prior Xenoblade were basically a philosophical guide on religion. In Comparison, Xenoblade's big themes feel like..baby content. Feel free to correct me, Ryudo, as I know nothing.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#4 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

they dont have to say another word..... DAY 1. man 2015 this and Zelda plus whatever other surprises they give us. just announce a new f-zero please please please.

#5 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'm imaging from what I know of Gears/Saga that it will go a lot more into the themes of religion and such. From what I know(Haven't played either game/Trilogy yet) the Xeno games prior Xenoblade were basically a philosophical guide on religion. In Comparison, Xenoblade's big themes feel like..baby content. Feel free to correct me, Ryudo, as I know nothing.

Hmm...so this could end up being one of those, "Grrr, our god says to kill everyone.  Prepare to die!", things?  It did seem like there was a group intent on destroying everyone, for reasons.  That would be too boring by itself though, so I guess there would be more to it than that.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#6 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hmm...so this could end up being one of those, "Grrr, our god says to kill everyone.  Prepare to die!", things?  It did seem like there was a group intent on destroying everyone, for reasons.  That would be too boring by itself though, so I guess there would be more to it than that.

Nah, not like that I think. Again, I know nothing, but it's more about the philosophy. Knowing Monolith's way of uh..doing stuff based on Xenoblade, We're going to see these guys as the bad guys, realize they're actually good with mostly bad, and it just depends on WHO you are to good/Evil spectrums.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

Xenoblades story is considerably deeper in that regaurd than either gears or. Well, gears, Saga fell flat on its face on that end, going for melodrama out the wazoo instead, but leaving the philosophy incredibly shallow.

Xenogears, and to a lesser extent, saga, was a pretty straight forward and surface level use of Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche's philosophy works, hampered by the fact the game had to be translated, xenogears was only half finished, and saga was... Well, Namco bandai.

Xenoblade is based on several different philosophies, from actual old time philosophies, to theoretical metaphysics of the 16-17th century, to modern day computer functional programming, and of course, religion that all actually used the same word in a similar context: The monad.

The main basis was Gottfried Leibniz’s most famous work, 'The Monadology'. Ill just give a breif overview of relevent bits that will be familiar to players of Xenoblade:

Every element in existence is made up of a single substance, the simplest substance that can not be broken down any more. This single unit, is known as the monad. In Xenoblade its ether. Different arrangements of the monad within space comprise different elements.

He attempted to bring together the clashing ideals of Teleology, Mechanism philosophy. As youve likely already guessed, when you go to the wiki pages you will basically be looking at the philosophical versions of the bionis and the mechonis.

Philosophically, The Monadology arrived at several conclusions, that play heavy themes in Xenoblades story.

1. Idealism, since it denies things in themselves (besides monads) and multiplies them in different points of view. Monads are “perpetual living mirrors of the universe.” - You may be hearing faint echoes of several lines of dialouge after reading this, its ok, its normal.... I think.

2. Metaphysical optimism, through the principle of sufficient reason, developed as follows:

a) Everything exists according to a reason (by the axiom "Nothing arises from nothing");

B) Everything which exists has a sufficient reason to exist; -Sound familiar yet?

c) Everything which exists is better than anything non-existent (by the first point: since it is more rational, it also has more reality), and, consequently, it is the best possible being in the best of all possible worlds (by the axiom: "That which contains more reality is better than that which contains less reality"). -Cue about a bazillion lines from Xenoblade that are now popping into your head.

But wait, theres more. Xenoblade also incorporates modern usage of the Monad, its use in functional programming.

'In functional programming, a monad is a structure that represents computations defined as sequences of steps: a type with a monad structure defines what it means to chain operations, or nest functions of that type together. This allows the programmer to build pipelines that process data in steps, in which each action is decorated with additional processing rules provided by the monad.[1] As such, monads have been described as "programmable semicolons"; a semicolon is the operator used to chain together individual statements in many imperative programming languages,[1] thus the expression implies that extra code will be executed between the statements in the pipeline. Monads have also been explained with a physical metaphor as assembly lines, where a conveyor belt transports data between functional units that transform it one step at a time.[2] They can also be seen as a functional design pattern to build generic types.[3]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(functional_programming)

Basically, its the computer programming version of the concept of ether (The monad in greek philosophy/Leibniz's monadology)...

The Monado wasnt a sword, it was in I/O interface with the AI that could control the placement of, well, ether 'atoms' if you will. A spot in space with an ether atom was a 1, a spot without it was a 0, chaining/nesting these arrangements of these 1's and 0's determined the make up of the world. If you could see what ether was where, you could tell where it was soon going to be, and if you could edit them... Yes, this is exactly what alvis was talking about during the telethia intro fight.

Shulk wasnt able to weild the monado like no other on bionis because he was the chosen one. He was able to weild the monado because he was the only sentient bionis being who aquired the capacity to begin to comprehend functional computer programming logic.

Dunban was able to get as far as he did through sheer discipline and focus, but his lack of understanding likely began to, well, randomly edit his arm until it lost function.

Shulk seeing the future, was simply reading the code of the world zanza programmed, and seeing where it went. Shulk slicing things with the monado was literally editing them apart.

And perhaps most impressive of all, was that the concept of the monad/monadology, went beyond the story, dialogue, and plot. The gameplay itself was saturated with the concept.

The simplistic poo pooing of Xenoblades story looks like a cut and dry case of the Dunning-Kroger effect everytime I come across it. The detractors never demonstrate more than shallowest surface level comprehension of the story, or its themes.
http://en.wikipedia....g–Kruger_effect

Xenoblade, will be very, very, hard to top.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Words that are too long to quote

As I said, I knew jack all about the stuff that Saga/Gears covered. I knew some of the stuff from XBC's philosophy through your previous posts, and I wasn't intending to imply that Xenoblade was bad. I've just heard that Saga/Gears was more ..IDK,something deeper/more complex, due to the directors statement of Basic. Then again, if you look at some of the greatest works(LotR, Shawshank Redemption, Hamlet) there's an implied basicness about them. Doesn't mean it's not as deep as some other more complicated stuff.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

As I said, I knew jack all about the stuff that Saga/Gears covered. I knew some of the stuff from XBC's philosophy through your previous posts, and I wasn't intending to imply that Xenoblade was bad. I've just heard that Saga/Gears was more ..IDK,something deeper/more complex, due to the directors statement of Basic. Then again, if you look at some of the greatest works(LotR, Shawshank Redemption, Hamlet) there's an implied basicness about them. Doesn't mean it's not as deep as some other more complicated stuff.

Oh yeah, I got that you hadnt played them (though I would suggest giving gears a try if the oppUrtunity presents itself, still a fantastic game. Er, half a game).

I just run into the kinds of commenters you were talking about a lot. And basically, they link to a well worn article about Xengears philosophies and themes... And then completely fail to use the same thought process described in the article to approach an understanding of Xenoblade. Basically, they had to have gears spelled out for them, years after the fact and since no one did the same for blade, they assumed there was nothing there.

They often use out of context quotes from takahashi from a certain interview (dont know if its the one you are talking about) But conveniently leave out the part where he said his former overcomplicated melodrama style was a dead end for videogames, and that he was returning to basics to start a new foundation more suitable for interactive media with a small scale expirimental test (this turned out to be xenoblade)

His streamlining of plot and dialog did wonders for Xenoblade, especially in comparison to the mess that was saga, his return fo and improved focus on a creating a story and worldbuilding suited for interactive storytelling did wonders for blade, again, especially compared to saga, and his use of philisophical themes grew in sophistication, as he applied and grew in all directions for blade.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

im guessing that means more complex plotline, or less straight forward of a plotline.  Could also mean more complex concepts that play a more important role or more necessary to understand the plot.  The new game is dealing with 3+ factions, while xenoblade really only had major 2 for the vast majority of the story.

The lore, worldbuilding, and background were some of the 'sub' highlights that xenoblade did well, but weren't directly necessary parts of the story. Though those aspects of the game are very hard to beat. The story itself in xenoblade is very straightforward, with many of the main plot concepts spelled out for you. Most of the sub-plot points show more of the world building, lore, as well as thought into the naming.  

At least this is what i think Takahashi was talking about, as opposed to the more advanced concepts around the lore and the world building.

#11 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

they dont have to say another word..... DAY 1. man 2015 this and Zelda plus whatever other surprises they give us. just announce a new f-zero please please please.

and don't forget Splatoon! 2015 is going to be great

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

The Dolls’ height is about five times that of an adult, making them around 9-10 metres high. This was calculated as the best human-to-robot ratio when taking fights or field exploration with both Dolls and humans present into consideration. If the Dolls were bigger than that, the map would also need to be bigger, so we decided upon this size not due to budget constraints, but because it would lead to much slower exploration in human form.

15 years have passed since Monolith was founded, and I believe that with this game I have finally met the challenge I had within me, of creating an RPG in which humans and robots can co-exist.

http://nintendoenthu...ys-wanted-make/

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!