39 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

splatoon-jan-5-2015-656x371.jpg

New details regarding Splatoon have come out of this week’s issue of Famitsu. You’ll find the information in the summary below (thanks StreetsAhead):

-Team made up of lots of staff that worked on Wii U launch titles. Once they’d grasped the hardware, they wanted to create something innovative.
-Working on a local multiplayer mode in addition to online and Hero Mode
-Hero mode is predominantly a 3D platformer with heavy emphasis on human-squid transformations
-Random matching is done world wide, game tries to place you with players close to your skill level based on ratings
-Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature
-Game won’t use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start
-Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that
-No communication with players you are matched with
-They didn’t think of using Bloopers when they decided on squids (they apparently forgot they existed)
-No money can be earned in Hero Mode. Your points, as displayed at the end of the match, are turned into money and experience points.
-A lot of the music is written by Tooru Minegishi (who has worked on Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Super Mario)

Source 1, Source 2

No CPU concerns me. So when interest is lost within a year online I can't play at least a bot? I may no longer get the game.

#2 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

A team based game with no communication sounds like a wrong move. Apart from that idc about playing CPU. If the games good people will continue playing.

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

3D platformer mode sounds fun. No communication while it sucks I expected it. No bots, meh that doesn't bother me either. There will be plenty of real humans to join matches. Most of the early online games for Wii U still have enough for matches, and those are 3rd party games.

Why would you want to play against a bot in an online match? It says game will not use CPU fighters but 8 human players. I would think a local match could have bots.

They didn’t think of using Bloopers when they decided on squids (they apparently forgot they existed)

I am glad... sounds funny but it shows you they were not influenced one bit or pressured into making the game something it doesn't have to be.

e9a.gif

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

4 on 4 multiplayer local or something Nintendo decided no we won't do anything like that has to be different because we can kinda crap.

If I play local be nice to have 1-2 friends with CPU filling the rest. Co-op or VS

Edited by Ryudo, 04 February 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

4 on 4 multiplayer local or something Nintendo decided no we won't do anything like that has to be different because we can kinda crap.

If I play local be nice to have 1-2 friends with CPU filling the rest. Co-op or VS

I don't think CPU fighters locally are a concern (they have to be in game), if I understand the above info they were strictly talking about no CPU fighters in the online mode. Why put a CPU in an online match when the whole idea is for players to compete against each other?

I hedge to bet this is also the reason they give for no communication....

Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

don't see the point in no online communication, if someone is annoying, just mute them. 

also about the random matchmaking thing, i hope they have several modes but they are all 4v4, instead of say turf war only. It usually takes going overboard with gamemodes to have that problem, and even then only if you have a small playerbase, i doubt this games playerbase would be so small to only support 1-2 gamemodes.

#7 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

Poor gamepad mic, so neglected and no sense of self worth.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

I don't think CPU fighters locally are a concern (they have to be in game), if I understand the above info they were strictly talking about no CPU fighters in the online mode. Why put a CPU in an online match when the whole idea is for players to compete against each other?

I hedge to bet this is also the reason they give for no communication....

What I am asking is if I play local 4v4 match can I have just me and maybe one other friend with the rest of the squid girls being bots. Me and 3 bots vs Him and 3 bots in a local match. If I can do that there is no problem. Or did Nintendo make it so those 4v4 matches are online only while local got some special mode that is nothing like the online one.

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

What I am asking is if I play local 4v4 match can I have just me and maybe one other friend with the rest of the squid girls being bots. Me and 3 bots vs Him and 3 bots in a local match. If I can do that there is no problem. Or did Nintendo make it so those 4v4 matches are online only while local got some special mode that is nothing like the online one.

Gotcha... tis a good question and I would hope they clarify the details a bit. It seems the 4 v 4 mode might be the only online mode...? Can't be..?

#10 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

I got the feeling that the whole "no communication" thing was talking about communication with the enemy. "No communication with players you are matched with." I dunno, maybe I'm just optimistic. Honestly, I don't care if it has voice chat or not, but I understand why some do.

Now what does worry me is the lack of other modes than turf war... I was really looking forward to a standard death match using this game's mechanics... Ah well, we'll see. I'll be getting the game no matter what, it's just pure amazing.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

If not then to hell with Splatoon. I won't buy

Gotcha... tis a good question and I would hope they clarify the details a bit. It seems the 4 v 4 mode might be the only online mode...? Can't be..?

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

I got the feeling that the whole "no communication" thing was talking about communication with the enemy. "No communication with players you are matched with." I dunno, maybe I'm just optimistic. Honestly, I don't care if it has voice chat or not, but I understand why some do.

Now what does worry me is the lack of other modes than turf war... I was really looking forward to a standard death match using this game's mechanics... Ah well, we'll see. I'll be getting the game no matter what, it's just pure amazing.

I think other kinds of modes would be better supported for the type of gameplay then death match. Like attack and defend, or Team King of the Hill type modes might work better given the mechanics. Capture the squid (flag) haha.

If not then to hell with Splatoon. I won't buy

Yeah, I feel ya. The initial hype was for competitive play.. and online.. did they focus too much on other aspects and make the online to bland? It appears as if the online stuff took a backseat ... i hope not.

#13 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

What's the big deal about no CPUs? That's what the single-player mode is for...

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

Concerned about local  play... will that have CPU's to fill in gaps where you might not have enough friends to make a full match of 4v4? 

#15 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

I was planning to get this game but no bots is a deal breaker for me

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

Concerned about local  play... will that have CPU's to fill in gaps where you might not have enough friends to make a full match of 4v4? 

That's for platformer mode not the core version of the game. 4v4. Local play is very important as years go on online interest fades servers shut down. I buy games to keep period so I am not just buying a game for now but for later as well.

So in local play if I have 1 friend and want to have a 4v4 match I will have 3 bots and he and his 3 bots face one another in a OFFLINE match. I can race in MK8 this way. Fight in Smash this way. Can I in Splatoon this way. It's sounding like a big fat no. If so they lost a sale and many others not happy with it either and wanting to cancel the pre order.

#17 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

I guess I can see your point but I just can't believe no mindless computer enemies is a deal breaker for people...

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

That's for platformer mode not the core version of the game. 4v4. Local play is very important as years go on online interest fades servers shut down. I buy games to keep period so I am not just buying a game for now but for later as well.

So in local play if I have 1 friend and want to have a 4v4 match I will have 3 bots and he and his 3 bots face one another in a OFFLINE match. I can race in MK8 this way. Fight in Smash this way. Can I in Splatoon this way. It's sounding like a big fat no. If so they lost a sale and many others not happy with it either and wanting to cancel the pre order.

The funny thing is, if this is true it is VERY ODD of Nintendo. For years we complain about only having local play and no online... now we get online but perhaps no local play with friends... hahaha ... what the hell? I know it says working on local multiplayer mode... but I hope they include 4vs4 with bots. You should be able to get a similar experience locally as online.

I guess I can see your point but I just can't believe no mindless computer enemies is a deal breaker for people...

But if you have a friend over then you can't play 4V4 unless you go into an ONLINE match.... from what it sounds like anyways.

#19 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

But if you have a friend over then you can't play 4V4 unless you go into an ONLINE match.... from what it sounds like anyways.

We don't know that actually... All we know is that there won't be bots in the online multiplayer mode to fill in if there aren't enough real players.

Also, just wanted to point out, all the information in the OP is from a casual interview, and unofficially translated from Japanese. This is really about as vague of info as we could get. I wouldn't lose your minds over any of this until we get more confirmation.

Can't wait for a Splatoon direct.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

I wanna play this 10 years from now. I can't if they gimped local mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!