• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

I have been kind of considering getting some sort of solution for playing my Steam library on my TV, but there's actually a LOT of options and restrictions that make it complicated.

With a dedicated Steambox running SteamOS, I'm limited to running Linux-compatible games unless I choose to do In-House from a proper gaming pc in the house, which of course makes the power of the steambox almost completely redundant

Having a full-fledged PC would allow all gaming to run at maximum potential, but then I'd want to be able to use it as a full HTPC/server (playback from on-board video library, netflix, even disk) yet the Windows interface isn't really seamless for TV navigation, plus in order foe guests to do anything I'd need to keep full access to accounts and such open

And with a Steam Link it would be only for streaming from a PC, requiring independant devices for movie streaming and video disks (bringing the total of independent items connected to my tv to 4 - Wii U, Steam Link, Bluray player, and a Netflix dongle (as using the Wii U for Netflix ties it up so I can't play games on the gamepad)

If the Xbox One could do Steam (either on-board or through streaming) it would allow for a more simplified setup as the Xbox would be able to do everything (and I am fairly tied into the Xbox ecosystem so it's not a problem), but I don't know if Steam will ever actually come to the Xbox or not.

Has anyone else been thinking about this or is this something that hasn't been considered?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

There's an app called "Limelight Game Streaming" that acts as a Nvidia shield but on android devices. If you can get a box that runs android apps you could use that app to stream games. I use it a lot on my phone. Gotta have good internet though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!