• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

VIRTUAL BOY WAS NOT VR! It is the same thing 3DS is just not red. It's 3D. VR is not the next big thing it's the next big flop like 3D. VR cannot be the next big thing when it fails every time they try to be the next big thing just like 3D fails to be the next big thing.

Every 20+ years 3D and VR try to be the next big thing EVERYTIME they fail. This is Sony's THIRD ATTEMPT since PS2.

Virtual Reality is to simulate a 3D space around you that you can interact with in first person simulating reality. Virtual Boy was a NES with red sprites that popped out in 3D. It is not VR.

BTW just saw this http://gizmodo.com/t...3/ kirkhamilton

been saying for years as long as it's attached to your face it's not going to take off.

That's because developers program what they think VR should be like instead of what VR is. They're putting you in complex environments that melt your chips and you can't touch anything. This is where I believe Nintendo will get it right. They will realize that they need to use games where interacting with the environment via controller makes sense and that picture-perfect graphics do not matter. So no Madden VR, but hello Mario Kart, StarFox, R.O.B. Adventures, and Train Simulator 2015!

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#62 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

No it won't work even if god himself made a VR set for the reasons I been saying and the article says. One of them does not matter what the game is. The problems it comes with the physical effects on the human brain and body can't be dodged no matter how good First Person Mario is. This is fact. Anything that you have to physically put on your face and tries to trick the brain psychologically

and neurologically doesn't work as a long term succes. It's not a games problem it's a human brain problem. Fine ignore me like everyone did about 3D and now it's gone and before you mention 3DS...3D is not selling 3DS anymore and in fact 3DS will not even match GBA in sales overall LT. Thing is Nintendo would be stupid to go into VR as it divides who can physically play your system by at least 1/3. Unlike someone with an obvious disability it's impossible to tell who would react well and who would not as most people don't know themselves. Unless you can turn the VR OFF like 3DS 3D then it will never work. This is just how it is.

Everytime one of these things fail and comes back people give an exuse why it will now work this time for sure...and it never does. It's not a content issue,otherwise mobile games be dead. The human body and brain just don't react well in general plus people just hate wearing plastic crap on their face.

#63 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

No it won't work even if god himself made a VR set for the reasons I been saying and the article says. One of them does not matter what the game is. The problems it comes with the physical effects on the human brain and body can't be dodged no matter how good First Person Mario is. This is fact. Anything that you have to physically put on your face and tries to trick the brain psychologically

and neurologically doesn't work as a long term succes. It's not a games problem it's a human brain problem. Fine ignore me like everyone did about 3D and now it's gone and before you mention 3DS...3D is not selling 3DS anymore and in fact 3DS will not even match GBA in sales overall LT. Thing is Nintendo would be stupid to go into VR as it divides who can physically play your system by at least 1/3. Unlike someone with an obvious disability it's impossible to tell who would react well and who would not as most people don't know themselves. Unless you can turn the VR OFF like 3DS 3D then it will never work. This is just how it is.

Everytime one of these things fail and comes back people give an exuse why it will now work this time for sure...and it never does. It's not a content issue,otherwise mobile games be dead. The human body and brain just don't react well in general plus people just hate wearing plastic crap on their face.

The tablet failed a few times and look at it now. History barely remembers the asian guy that beat the Write Brothers to flying. History continues to repeat until it gets things right.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#64 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

The tablet failed a few times and look at it now. History barely remembers the asian guy that beat the Write Brothers to flying. History continues to repeat until it gets things right.

Tablet was because MS sucked at marketing it in 2002 to people not lawers or doctors. Yeah I heard all this before and I am right I been there I seen it. You are just like everyone else I seen the past many years give a new excuse and yet VR and 3D doing the same exact crap they always do promising this will be different and it never is.

Edited by Ryudo, 18 March 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#65 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

Well I for one am not mad, I think it's pretty cool of Nintendo to do this.

Shocking I know.

Edited by Tony Stark, 19 March 2015 - 03:31 PM.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#66 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

VIRTUAL BOY WAS NOT VR! It is the same thing 3DS is just not red. It's 3D. VR is not the next big thing it's the next big flop like 3D. VR cannot be the next big thing when it fails every time they try to be the next big thing just like 3D fails to be the next big thing.

Every 20+ years 3D and VR try to be the next big thing EVERYTIME they fail. This is Sony's THIRD ATTEMPT since PS2.

Virtual Reality is to simulate a 3D space around you that you can interact with in first person simulating reality. Virtual Boy was a NES with red sprites that popped out in 3D. It is not VR.

been saying for years as long as it's attached to your face it's not going to take off.

I don't know where everyone is getting this "VR is the next big thing" from. Sure, maybe some people on internet forums would like VR, but your average consumer does not because, as you said, no one wants to wear something on their face to play a video game just like no one buys 3D TVs because you have to wear stupid glasses. 

I'm also finding it hard to see what huge benefits this would bring to the majority of Nintendo's games- platformers. 

#67 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

It's not going to replace Wii U. It's a third pillar. So no.

No. It's going to replace the Wi U.

Maybe. Lol

Or the 3ds.

They will coexist for a short time.

Perhaps this one full be a modular console that has game pad functionality and seperate, lesser powered handheld capability.

All speculation now. But being that it is meant to diverge from the Wii U while still being able to absorb the architecture, it's likely that is the main hardware they are looking to leapfrog.

It's the next generation dedicated system.

VR is just not s good concept. Never cared for it. Never will.

Too many are pushing it though. So it's bound to be a "thing" however short lived.

Separately, Augmented Reality is very cool. But there are only so many uses for that. But at least it's a legit helpful thing.

Having a screen of any resolution that close to your eyes is very bad. Just say no to VR. Your health will thank you later.

At least it will keep optometrists in business. Lol

On s side note, it's wise for nintendo to utilize the smart device industry. I guess they just needed to reassure themselves they weren't just latching onto an established fad.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 March 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#68 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

To me, a third pillar could only be a tablet. It made sense: Nintendo specific mobile games still on Nintendo's HW.

But since no announcement was made, then it most likely isn't it.

What i think NX is.

It's both the handheld and home console where both play basically the same games/share the same library.

This is what i have been thinking for a long time. Yet, because of this conference i can't shake the feeling it's something more.

I don't know if it's HW related, OS related... I just feel that there's more to that "brand new concept" than just the controller being different.
And when Iwata said that this mobile development situation affected the HW development for next gen i just knew that there was something more.
I can think of a few things:

He's actually talking about sharing the same library between systems;

It's just OS related and there's interaction between the mobile side and gaming dedicated devices;

This new machine will interact with QoL to help modify the game according to your physical state , thus adapting it to you and making it a unique experience every time you play;

With the inclusion of PCs and mobile devices, NX will allow to connect to the Android store and STEAM. And whe i mean connect i really mean to use your handheld/home console to use those services and play all their games.

#69 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Iwata actually went out of his way to clarify that NX is seperate and apart from the software development and account integration. It's a hardware dedicated gaming system. It will utilize the unification methods, but it's not a name for that methodology. It's the codename for nintendos next dedicated game system hardware.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 March 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#70 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

Iwata actually went out of his way to clarify that NX is seperate and apart from the software development and account integration. It's a hardware dedicated gaming system. It will utilize the unification methods, but it's not a name for that methodology. It's the codename for nintendos next dedicated game system hardware.

A very cool quote from Iwata recently,

“However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

http://wiiudaily.com...he-nintendo-nx/

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#71 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Not sure what to expect with NX but they better not start showing their mobile crap in future directs

#72 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

I applud Nintendo for constantly trying new things.

But just once, I'd like them to buckle down, nail the tried and true, while whooping on everyone else at traditional gaming.

Oh well.

I just hope this things is spec'd to the heavens.

POWER.

#73 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

I don't know where everyone is getting this "VR is the next big thing" from. Sure, maybe some people on internet forums would like VR, but your average consumer does not because, as you said, no one wants to wear something on their face to play a video game just like no one buys 3D TVs because you have to wear stupid glasses. 

I'm also finding it hard to see what huge benefits this would bring to the majority of Nintendo's games- platformers.

Its mainly because of sony's morpheus, and a few personalities constantly pushing it as the next big thing.

VR is wayyyy to restrictive to be useful for anything but a few select genres, all of which would need to be first person.

VR is a cool tool, but thats all that it is, a tool in a bag, and you need more than a headset to pull it off, you would also need some well done absolute position tracking motion controllers (souped up powerglove) like input devices to properly interact with the virtual environment in order to have actual vr, and even then as Ryudo insinuated, some people would not be able to get past the fact that your real hand doesnt stop when your virtual hand collides with a surface.

Oculus is pretty cool for some non first person non absolute controlled games like windwaker, however, exactly like ryuudo said, thats not virtual reality, its head tracking with stereoscopic 3d, those are factors that go into vr, but in order to have vr, you need the whole enchilada so to speak. Its cool, and already with just some minimal adjustment to the how the hud layer is displayed is more than playable, but its totally not virtual reality, its basically strapping a 3ds in gyro mode to your face.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#74 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

Virtual Reality is about replacing your reality with a virtual reality. That's what the Nintendo Virtual Boy was about. It was a portable 3D device that you out on your head and all you can see is what is in the screen. You can call it whatever you want, but it is doing basically the something.

And there are so many companies, huge companies, working on VR. FaceBook, Sony, HTC, Google. Microsoft is going with AR, which is similar but different.

I really believe FaceBook has great non game ideas. It could transform how online schools work. Virtual meetings for huge world wide companies would be completely changed too. Imagine instead of showing pictures of your vacation, you share the VR recording of your vacation.

VR is going to be the next big thing.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#75 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Virtual Reality is about replacing your reality with a virtual reality. That's what the Nintendo Virtual Boy was about. It was a portable 3D device that you out on your head and all you can see is what is in the screen. You can call it whatever you want, but it is doing basically the something.

And there are so many companies, huge companies, working on VR. FaceBook, Sony, HTC, Google. Microsoft is going with AR, which is similar but different.

I really believe FaceBook has great non game ideas. It could transform how online schools work. Virtual meetings for huge world wide companies would be completely changed too. Imagine instead of showing pictures of your vacation, you share the VR recording of your vacation.

I think it may have a place, but it will still be niche. It could transform how online schools work yes, but that's a decade or two away. Just as people said kids would no longer have physical books for school, yet here we are in the ebook day and age, chrome books/ tablets etc and still, kids have text books. Maybe not everywhere, but it's still a majority. In fact, you bring up some good points about VR, it may best be suited as non entertainment.

Remember the old view master?... it's still around... with a slight upgrade haha. http://www.view-mast...n-us/index.html

viewfinder-toy-2uoerbgk.jpg

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#76 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

Hey look! It's the VR the dinosaurs used! #dinosaurVR

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#77 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

Hey look! It's the VR the dinosaurs used! #dinosaurVR

and now young dinosaurs have a chance too, lol

VM_HeroShot_0_tcm1147-201394.jpg

Back on track, regarding NX, I don't think Nintendo will make a hybrid device/console. They are in the business of providing hardware and software, making a hybrid cuts out a section of their business entirely. I expect a great account system with VC games being available across devices and more cross buy games made available. I fully expect a 3ds and Wii U successor and maybe another device as well, but the 3ds is the one that should be getting retired first.

#78 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

I think it may have a place, but it will still be niche. It could transform how online schools work yes, but that's a decade or two away. Just as people said kids would no longer have physical books for school, yet here we are in the ebook day and age, chrome books/ tablets etc and still, kids have text books. Maybe not everywhere, but it's still a majority. In fact, you bring up some good points about VR, it may best be suited as non entertainment.

Remember the old view master?... it's still around... with a slight upgrade haha. http://www.view-mast...n-us/index.html

We will just have to wait and see, however if I am not mistaken, Iwata clearly said that the NX will have a new way to play. A fusion console is not a new way to play. It's just a merge of home and hand held, which we kind of all ready have in some cases.

But if it's not the next big thing, then the FaceBook wasted a lot of money on buying Oclus Rift. (But there is huge support for that company). And listening to what his plans are, it's not hard to understand why FaceBook would think it's the next big thing.

Remember, there was a time when a cell phone was considered to be a luxury. When the Smart Phone needed a physical keyboard to be useful. Hell, there was a time when the home console market was going to die out and be a niche. All it takes is one product to change the view of what everyone thinks.

Edited by MorbidGod, 30 March 2015 - 04:05 PM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#79 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Analyst says Nintendo is winding down Wii U development.

http://wiiudaily.com...-u-development/

#80 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Analyst says Nintendo is winding down Wii U development.

http://wiiudaily.com...-u-development/

They say a lot of stupid things. It's not even worth posting or giving any of them attention. They don't know jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!