Cobiwan

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

http://mynintendonew...-fox-for-wii-u/

It’s been brought to my attention that the latest edition of the Official Nintendo Magazine has a in-depth feature titled ’A Brief History Of Retro Studios’. Towards the end of the feature they move onto what they think the studio behind the Metroid Prime games and Donkey Kong Country Returns are working on next, ending with these two sentences…[indent=1]
“While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind.”
Could the Official Nintendo Magazine be privy to something we don’t know about? We have absolutely no clue as to what Retro Studios are working on next, but what we can all guess it’s a Wii U title. What better way to launch the Wii U with a brand new Star Fox title developed by Retro Studios?

Edited by Cobiwan, 23 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

YES! I knew it! I had a feeling Retro was going to develop StarFox. I hope this is not just a rumor and it is for real! I can't wait to hear a confirmation for this!

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#3 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

in all honesty i think too much is being read into this quote, i dont think they know. however i wouldnt be surprised if star fox was retro's project, but thats for other reasons. also the ex uncharted developer said it was possibly the best art he/she had ever done (or something along those lines) which would fit in well with a star fox game i think
Posted Image

#4 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

While it would be cool, I need more evidence before I belive it.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#5 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

YES!! PLEASE!! I love the StarFox franchise. It'll be great to see Retro Studios work on another StarFox game. .....Or F-Zero :D

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#6 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

What exactly would Retro do with Star Fox? Star Fox Adventures Deux?

I'd prefer Treasure work on a Star Fox shmup game a la Star Fox 64, but you know at this point I'll take anything. 'Cause let's face it, Star Fox hasn't been exciting in years, and maybe Retro could do something about it. It's not like they have a bad track record anyway.

#7 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Lets see, there hasn't been a star fox game since... 1, 2, 3.... Star Fox Command in 2005! (Not counting the 3DS Remake.)

Lets hope there is a new one!

#8 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:21 AM

No doubt sometime during the Wii U's life time we will get a new Starfox. As well as a new F-Zero.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#9 Metroid

Metroid

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

I'd prefer Treasure work on a Star Fox shmup game a la Star Fox 64.

Treasure or/and Cave = Awesome = Never going to happen. :(

#10 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I really dont see the logic not to..I mean come on look at the controll and the tv.Starfox was build for this.Plus starfox is losing popularity and hasn't have a proper starfox game in ages so it makes perfect sense.
MAKE IT HAPPEN RETRO
Posted Image

#11 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Do a Barrel Roll!

#12 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

Do a Barrel Roll!

Press Z or R twice.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#13 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

I really dont see the logic not to..I mean come on look at the controll and the tv.Starfox was build for this.Plus starfox is losing popularity and hasn't have a proper starfox game in ages so it makes perfect sense.
MAKE IT HAPPEN RETRO

Like you stated, Star Fox ain't popular. Launching with Star Fox over Zelda or Metroid is just odd. Especially if you want the system to take off. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't make a Star Fox game, but I think there are better options if you want to sell the product.

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't believe a big budget Star Fox game.

#14 Cobiwan

Cobiwan

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Like you stated, Star Fox ain't popular. Launching with Star Fox over Zelda or Metroid is just odd. Especially if you want the system to take off. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't make a Star Fox game, but I think there are better options if you want to sell the product.

Well if they do manage to make a good brand new star fox it will sell the system well.
But like you said it's not nearly as big as zelda, mario, and even metroid so their plan of letting 3rd party games get sales instead of being flooded out with the first party stuff works.
it's a beautiful win/win

besides if it comes out in september/november like it's rumored, just put a massive first party game a month after release, for christmas.

Edited by Cobiwan, 25 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

#15 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

They cant rely on Mario and Link forever though.Nintendo has a giant catalougue of games in thier vault and I personally think that if they give them enough credit they can become as big as Mario or Link.I mean look at Metroid.That was almost a dead horse until Retro came and made it to an equel status as Link.I hope Kid Icarus gets a good push because it seems like a very untapped franchise and it has a kingdom hearts feel to it so they have a lot of room to work with.Cant rely on Mario and Link since they only get around 1 or 2 games per the console's lifespan
Posted Image

#16 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

They cant rely on Mario and Link forever though.

What makes you think this? While Skyward Sword has recently only done average in terms of sales, Mario games have consistently sold very well at release. Nintendo can always fall back on Mario... but that isn't really the point I want to make.

Nintendo has a giant catalougue of games in thier vault and I personally think that if they give them enough credit they can become as big as Mario or Link.I mean look at Metroid.That was almost a dead horse until Retro came and made it to an equel status as Link.

Right... Here's the thing - You have to consider genre. Just because Retro managed to revive some old franchises doesn't mean much. What I'm saying is that an arcade style on rails shmup is not very popular. Anything styled like Star Fox 64 is not going to push console sales. The genre is niche, and that's that. As I mentioned in my first reply, however, Retro could consider going the Star Fox Adventures route. Or you know, something that isn't purely concentrated on shooting and dogfights and stuff. I don't really know. But if they were going to go that route, wouldn't it be better to go with a different franchise or make a new IP?

That's how I feel.

Cant rely on Mario and Link since they only get around 1 or 2 games per the console's lifespan

Again, I'm referring to launch games. Releasing Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver at 3DS launch isn't going to push sales. Even if it does force exposure to these IPs, they aren't going to aid in launching the system. The thing with Mario (and sometimes Link) is that they can sell for a whole console's lifetime. Mario Kart 7, for instance, will sell even in 2013 without price drops needed.

#17 Cobiwan

Cobiwan

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Again, I'm referring to launch games. Releasing Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver at 3DS launch isn't going to push sales. Even if it does force exposure to these IPs, they aren't going to aid in launching the system. The thing with Mario (and sometimes Link) is that they can sell for a whole console's lifetime. Mario Kart 7, for instance, will sell even in 2013 without price drops needed.

Yeah, to attest to that, Mario Kart Wii is still hanging around the global top 20.

Posted Image

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

I believe a new, strong Star Fox game would help push sales. I think Mario would of course be a better choice, but in the end of the day Star Fox 64 was a huge launch title for the N64. And I will never support a Star Fox Adventures game because Star Fox is meant to be IN THE STARS. But i don't think Retro is making a Star Fox game, because I don't know if Nintendo Power would really have insider info. But I could be wrong. (If they are making a REAL Star Fox game, then I AM ALL FOR IT :D Being a huge fan of Star Fox)!

Edited by MorbidGod, 27 January 2012 - 04:31 PM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#19 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I believe a new, strong Star Fox game would help push sales. I think Mario would of course be a better choice, but in the end of the day Star Fox 64 was a huge launch title for the N64. And I will never support a Star Fox Adventures game because Star Fox is meant to be IN THE STARS. But i don't think Retro is making a Star Fox game, because I don't know if Nintendo Power would really have insider info. But I could be wrong. (If they are making a REAL Star Fox game, then I AM ALL FOR IT :D Being a huge fan of Star Fox)!

Correction: Star Fox 64 was released in 1997. The N64 was released in 1996, with it's only launch titles (from what I've heard) were Super Mario 64 and Pilot Wings 64
Posted Image

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Correction: Star Fox 64 was released in 1997. The N64 was released in 1996, with it's only launch titles (from what I've heard) were Super Mario 64 and Pilot Wings 64

I can't believe I forgot that, but yes your right. I was so young. I got the N64 with Star Fox 64, so I assumed, but I should have known! Oh well. It still was a good game!
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!