Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

Check out the specification below:

Size:
Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller:
The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analogue Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the
video game world.
The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls:
Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.
The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance

Media:
A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density
optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output:
Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output:
Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage:
The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU:
IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other:
Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Source:
http://www.gamepur.com/news/4082-wii-u-technical-specification-revealed.html

#2 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

Just to be clear.

Each console works with only one new controller? You can't have four players, each with a new controller working from the same base unit?

Not a problem for me, but I can see some whining if this is true.

Edited by Mukkinese, 07 June 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#3 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

I do like the controller for this console. I like the way you can use it as the screen. It'll be perfect for split-screen gaming, such as Mario Kart.

#4 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

I think it supports up to 4 New controllers, still scared about the price of the controllers though...
I like the idea because I can play a console game when I am laying down in bed and no more screen looking.

Edited by 0003mg, 07 June 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#5 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

I'm just struck by the fact non of the demo and concept videos show more than one new controller at a time, often working with multiple Wiimotes, but only the one "U-mote". Of course it would be nice to have upto four of these beasts working at one time, but this capability wasn't mentioned, was it?

Edited by Mukkinese, 07 June 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#6 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

There are multiplayer demos, IGN has a couple multiplayer things posted.

http://wii.ign.com/a.../1173582p1.html

#7 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link.

I've seen the chase Mii and battle mii and the shield thingy demos, but they all use one U-mote only and several Wiimotes, are there other multi-player videos?

Sorry. I'm not arguing, just trying to find out if this is true? The new controller is just an "extra" for me anyway. WiiHD is all I was looking for from this console.

Edited by Mukkinese, 07 June 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#8 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

IBM has put Watson's brain in the Wii U! The Wii U is people!

Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, was finally unveiled to the world today at E3 2011, and we got a glimpse of its graphical prowess at the company's keynote. Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back. Unfortunately, IBM wouldn't give us the chip's clock speeds, but if it's good enough to smoke Ken Jennings on national TV, we imagine it'll do alright against its competition from Sony and Microsoft.

Engadget

#9 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

It's the same tech as the "Watson" processor, that doesn't mean it's as powerful as the Watson processor which was a literal supercomputer, lol.

#10 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the link.

I've seen the chase Mii and battle mii and the shield thingy demos, but they all use one U-mote only and several Wiimotes, are there other multi-player videos?

Sorry. I'm not arguing, just trying to find out if this is true? The new controller is just an "extra" for me anyway. WiiHD is all I was looking for from this console.

Don't forget that those were only tech demos designed to show off the controller, my guess is that we'll find out in a few months, but we know now that it is physically possible to have multiple controllers.

#11 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Just to be clear.

Each console works with only one new controller? You can't have four players, each with a new controller working from the same base unit?

Not a problem for me, but I can see some whining if this is true.

We don't have fact yet, but at first it was rumored that only 1 new controller worked on each system and the rest had to be Wii remotes. Than, it came out that it will support 2, and than it came out and said 4. So at this point, we obviously know nothing, I guess we wait for Nintendo :D
Posted Image

#12 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

It's the same tech as the "Watson" processor, that doesn't mean it's as powerful as the Watson processor which was a literal supercomputer, lol.

Well Watson has several processors. 2,880 to be exact, all 8 core.

And I read somewhere that technically, Watson isn't a supercomputer. Apparently that's not powerful enough to be one. What was special about it was it's ability to comprehend English and it's ability to learn.

Although yeah, the Wii U will be NO WHERE NEAR as powerful as that lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!