Photo

Are Video Games becoming too real?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Are Video Games becoming too real? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Are Video Games becoming too real.

1. Nope. (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Yes. (18 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm thinking some games are trying too hard to look like real life. This is one of the reasons I'm glad we still have good ole Nintendo. For example, just for the sake of looking real, all the environments are brown, dull, and lifeless. Another example is Skyrim, basically if you carry too many items they'll weigh you down. What ever happened to being able to carry unlimited items? I think putting a limit to the number of items would be much better (though I hate that). I want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on this.
Posted Image

#2 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. It gets really annoying. I play video games to escape from reality. Heck! If I wanted realism! I would just go outside!

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#3 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

This reminds me of not being able to roll up stairs in certain Zelda games. Like being able in OoT but not in TP for the sake of "realism" or something.

That's where it goes over-board.

I like the more stuff makes you slow thing though. Makes it harder. Slower and more weapons and defense, or lighter but weaker?

Over-all answer, YES, they' are becoming to real.

#4 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Some games benefit from it and some don't, I like realistic graphics as long as i fits with the game. I really love artsy graphics ones that create beautiful landscapes which is isn't always capable with photo-realism it really depends on what you're going for. I will accept this as long as it's not used in every single game ever. Now that's just graphics but it goes with mechanics as well, it depends on the game some games restrict you on inventory and such to limit you and keeping from getting to much of a edge on the game, also do you really need to carry every single armor/weapon in the game with you at all times? It's not like you're going to use them all at all times, and you're just going to use the strongest/best looking anyway. It's also to keep your inventory from getting to cluttered and hard to navigate, that's what storage is for. Yes games can be to realistic but that really depends on how you see it what you want in a game.

#5 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I really love realistic games but they are starting to create to many and are forgetting about the unrealistic style.

The Ratio is like
12:6 For realistic games to fake games. It's cool to see how close they can make a game to reality, like Crysis 2. But with a lot of games they go too far.

#6 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

It depends on the game, actually. Skyrim and other RPGs and adventure games use a limit to prevent overleveling and gaining too much gold. It adds strategy and makes items more scarce. It's pretty clever and is not for realism, it's for balancing the game.
Some games are realistic, but that's not a downside. Most realism is for balancing, but it can go overboard.
Skyrim is far from realistic, Bethesda always bases their games in a glitch world.

#7 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Some games are, but not all of them. Some they do it because of balancing like other said. However, games shouldn't try to truly realistic. People will die alot quicker in Shooter games, action games and more. I feel that not many games have reached that level yet so I am okay. (but than again I may not be buying a lot of those realistic games).
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#8 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Once we reach realistic graphics, then what?

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#9 Poliwhirl

Poliwhirl

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

This reminds me of The Last of Us coming out for PS3.

Kind of tired right now, but if I remember correctly, I read that the protagonist in that game will die right away if one bullet gets shot at him. The protagonist will be able to use local items as weapons against the enemies, and your weapons will break over time the more you use them. That's just too real, but it does sound like some interesting (and I guess frustrating, still depends how it will be handled) type of gameplay.
Posted Image

The King of Fighters series + Wii U ports = AWESOME!!!

#10 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

....Somewhat.

Video games are supposed to make the player feel like they can do something they can't do in reality, and have fun. Having a realistic game isn't really fun since its... Well, realistic. Games like the COD series is an example. So I wouldn't they games in general are becoming too real, but certain genres... Yes.

#11 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

YES! I like the cartoony style of older video games. That is why I hope Nintendo doesn't ever try to make there games look realistic. The Zelda E3 had very detailed graphics but yet Link still didn't look like a real life human (or elf). That is what I want: Characters made with a lotta polygons, so they have a very smooth looking bodies with fingers and not just blobs for hands (like in Mario Kart), but yet they still keep that cartoony look. I really hope Nintendo take this path with there games, especially there Mario games. I don't even want Metroid to have a realistic look to it. Like nl said, If i want to see realistic graphics I would just go outside, or I'll just play Face Raiders. (Uses the real world around you to make it's graphics.)

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#12 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Let me ask you this: Is it bad that video games are getting too real?

Don't get me wrong, I like more stylistic games myself, but what's wrong with realism?

I think Devs. are starting to forget that gaming is an Art Form. I'm all fine for realism, but the need to sometimes take advantage of the fact this is just a game, and thus do something that can only be done in a game.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#13 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Let me ask you this: Is it bad that video games are getting too real?

Don't get me wrong, I like more stylistic games myself, but what's wrong with realism?

I think Devs. are starting to forget that gaming is an Art Form. I'm all fine for realism, but the need to sometimes take advantage of the fact this is just a game, and thus do something that can only be done in a game.

It isn't necessarily bad for ALL games but, I prefer stylistic over realistic. I'm all for realistic looking graphics and characters in a game like GTA. However, I don't want them to be like real life. Like, dying just by getting hit by a car once or shot once or twice with a pistol. I especially like the style used in the Zelda HD tech demo, great graphics but at the same time it doesn't look real.
Posted Image

#14 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I personally don't like realistic graphics. Takes away from the game for me, as it goes from being something that I see as fiction and have no qualms with to something that enters the uncanny valley.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

....Somewhat.

Video games are supposed to make the player feel like they can do something they can't do in reality, and have fun. Having a realistic game isn't really fun since its... Well, realistic. Games like the COD series is an example. So I wouldn't they games in general are becoming too real, but certain genres... Yes.

But in COD you can respawn so...

I really love realistic games but they are starting to create to many and are forgetting about the unrealistic style.

The Ratio is like
12:6 For realistic games to fake games. It's cool to see how close they can make a game to reality, like Crysis 2. But with a lot of games they go too far.

For example I like how sports games are realistic. Because they are based on something real.

#16 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

While games like tactical shooters (which there are many of) and sports games (which there are also many of) have acceptably realistic graphics, any game that is unrealistic should look unrealistic. I don't want to see Mario's sweat marks as he jumps throughout the level or the individual dust and dirt marks on Link's tunic.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer frame rate over actual graphics quality...
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#17 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer frame rate over actual graphics quality...

Your not the only one. I will continue to reduce the graphics quality of a game on my PC until I see a steady 50fps-60fps.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#18 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

It depends on the video game it is true thought that the only one left doing cartoony style games is Nintendo and the others are all indie devs.Some games benefit from it but I feel that the games are too limited to what they can do in the genre.I mean that's why mario is so adaptable that they can make up anything to make him fit into the surroundings and I hope more games did this but whatever.AS long as pokemon is still 8-bit sprites I aint gonna mind
Posted Image

#19 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

In the next pokemon I want the scenery to look realistic but not the characters.

For WiiU

#20 Wix

Wix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Assassin's Creed

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

No, they're not becoming too realistic. Some games just work better with high realism, like Battlefield 3, and some don't, like Okami. Both are great games.

i sold my brain on ebay

wob wob wob wob

i still love marina :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!