Photo

Sony All Star Fighting game, Rip off of SSM?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

http://www.computera...-first-footage/

Well, at least they took the time to make they're own characters :P Really though, its obvious why people are saying its a rip off.

#2 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

I would just use the term Clone

LordPickleton.png

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

I would just use the term Clone

Nah. A clone isn't as insultingly similar to the game it's trying to imitate as this one is. I mean, it looks and plays the exact same as SSB.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

I wonder if XBOX will get a SSB rip-off as well? I guess the only characters in it would be Master Chief and Marcus Fenix. lol
Posted Image

#5 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

This is like calling every fighting game that uses health bars, combos, and hit streaks clones or rip-offs.

So you guys are pretty much calling Street Fighter, Dragonball Budokai/Tenkachi, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat blatant rip-offs of each other since they use those elements above.

I swear, the logic sometimes...

Edited by AegisReflector, 27 April 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#6 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

It simply means that the Super Smash Brothers games have done very well in the past and they are fun to play.
Developers always imitate other developers. Been like that ever since.

It's kinda like Hipsters. Most of em aren't really all that unique to begin with and more of em keep popping up... :laugh:

I personally welcome more fighters like the SSB games. Why not have more fighters like that?
We're not being console biased are we (no, of course not)?

After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;).

Edited by dagwood dang, 27 April 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#7 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are both 3D games that has you collecting shiny objects and save some damsel-in-distress from an evil entity where they encounter various worlds that have different elements and different puzzles into making those objects appear.

Does that mean Banjo-Kazooie is a ripoff/imitation of Mario?

I don't understand the reasoning.

#8 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am kinda intrigued to buy this. Proberly won't be as good as SSB. What a rip-off! :/

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#9 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are both 3D games that has you collecting shiny objects and save some damsel-in-distress from an evil entity where they encounter various worlds that have different elements and different puzzles into making those objects appear.

Does that mean Banjo-Kazooie is a ripoff/imitation of Mario?

I don't understand the reasoning.

Well it just means that it's like Mario 64. Obviously, Rare saw elements of M64 that they wanted to implement in their own game.
I don't believe it's a question of whether or not the game was imitated, because it was. This happens all the time in business.

I think the underlying issue is whether or not people should have a problem with it.

Example:
Honda finding an "answer" to Toyota's popular Prius design. In comes the InSight by Honda.
Should Toyota Prius drivers get mad at Honda for making the InSight?

#10 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well it just means that it's like Mario 64. Obviously, Rare saw elements of M64 that they wanted to implement in their own game.
I don't believe it's a question of whether or not the game was imitated, because it was. This happens all the time in business.

An imitation would be if Rare literally just kept the level design from Super Mario 64 exactly the same, but they switched Mario with Banjo/Kazooie, Peach with Tootie, Bowser with Gruntilda, Toads with Bottles, etc. The Stars would be replaced by Jiggies. The music, the design, and the storyline would be exactly the same except character and item swaps.

This isn't the case at all, since both are completely different games with different moves, maps, music, character personalities, etc. Granted, BK was probably INSPIRED by Super Mario 64, but that doesn't mean Rare "imitated" Mario.

#11 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

This is like calling every fighting game that uses health bars, combos, and hit streaks clones or rip-offs.

So you guys are pretty much calling Street Fighter, Dragonball Budokai/Tenkachi, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat blatant rip-offs of each other since they use those elements above.

I swear, the logic sometimes...

Posted Image

Posted Image

You seriously can't tell me that these two don't look alike. Health bars and combos are fundamental gameplay features. Anyone with a half-a-brain knows they can't base any similarities on that. Not to mention people can tell the difference between Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat, based on graphics, art design, character selection, fighting mechanics etc. It's how these features are implemented that people base their criteria for compare and contrast. Of course, I'm giving this game the benefit of the doubt. The game has just been unveiled, so we shouldn't immediately excuse it as a "rip-off."

But then again, this is coming from a person who based their entire opinion on New Super Mario Bros 2 based on a few screenshots.

Edited by Biohazard, 27 April 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#12 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

At least they combined two worlds together. Look at Hades fighting Patapons. I still don't see them using items, and we haven't seen the full game. Can't wait to see Nintendo's Forza and Gran Turismo Clone.

LordPickleton.png

#13 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

You seriously can't tell me that these two don't look alike. Health bars and combos are fundamental gameplay features. Anyone with a half-a-brain knows they can't base any similarities on that. Not to mention people can tell the difference between Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat, based on graphics, art design, character selection, fighting mechanics etc. Of course, I'm giving this game the benefit of the doubt. The game has just been unveiled, so we shouldn't immediately excuse it as a "rip-off."

Okay, hold on right there. So basically you're trying to tell me that people can tell apart those franchises based on their art direction, graphics (which don't prove anything considering Tekken and Mortal Kombat run on the same engine), and character selection. Alright, I agree with you. So what's your point? People can easily identify Smash Bros. and this new Sony mash-up based on those same principles. Characters are different, art direction is different, fighting mechanics seem to be different (notice no percentile marks......that's exclusive only in Smash Bros, dawg). You basically just argued my point but then in some twisted way tried to disagree with me in a jerky way.....way to go?

But then again, this is coming from a person who based their entire opinion on New Super Mario Bros 2 based on a few screenshots.

Funny, because that is what people are exactly doing with this game. Judging it by a few articles and a few screenshots and flat out calling it a rip-off. So basically you're just calling me out because you can't handle the fact that I am skeptical about the new Mario game. Again, WAY TO GO!!

#14 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

*yawn*

Wooo....
good job, Sony, you are sooo original and cool making these games for the "Hardcore" (AKA Ignorant) gamer.

Long live sony...
Posted Image

#15 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

This game is a complete ripoff. And it looks very generic compared to smash . Even though i have a good liking for sony this is just stupid the graphics arent even better than ssbbrawl , and the gameplay is almost identical . its a complete slapto the face for a smashbros fan like me

This game is a complete ripoff. And it looks very generic compared to smash . Even though i have a good liking for sony this is just stupid the graphics arent even better than ssbbrawl , and the gameplay is almost identical . its a complete slapto the face for a smashbros fan like me

It does look fun though if i had a ps 3 i would give it a try

Signature_Fox.png

#16 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Okay, hold on right there. So basically you're trying to tell me that people can tell apart those franchises based on their art direction, graphics (which don't prove anything considering Tekken and Mortal Kombat run on the same engine), and character selection. Alright, I agree with you. So what's your point? People can easily identify Smash Bros. and this new Sony mash-up based on those same principles. Characters are different, art direction is different, fighting mechanics seem to be different (notice no percentile marks......that's exclusive only in Smash Bros, dawg). You basically just argued my point but then in some twisted way tried to disagree with me in a jerky way.....way to go?

What I meant by the "graphics and art design" is that the vision between those fighting games are vastly different. Yeah, I didn't use the right set of terms, but it's the morning for me. Sony and SuperBot Entertainment are making a simultaneous four-player, 2.5D arena-based fighting, crossing over the whole PlayStation library. And based off of Sony's pattern of imitating the way Nintendo implements their ideas to being nearly identical, it isn't hard to see why PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Super Smash Bros could almost be parallel. I'm giving SuperBot and Sony the opportunity to show how the game can be different, but I can't ignore the major similarities between them.

Funny, because that is what people are exactly doing with this game. Judging it by a few articles and a few screenshots and flat out calling it a rip-off. So basically you're just calling me out because you can't handle the fact that I am skeptical about the new Mario game. Again, WAY TO GO!!

Uh... what? That statement pointed out that you were doing the exact same thing as most of the people here in thread. I couldn't care less what you think about the game. I'm sure you're not the only person in this board who isn't looking forward to it.

Edited by Biohazard, 27 April 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#17 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

You know, it's the afternoon here, and I'm quite tired myself, so let's just agree to disagree I guess. :P

#18 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I dont know about you but can I ask how DOESNT this look the same? It looks almost identical.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#19 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Meh, I get what your saying. In all fairness though, it is quite similar. Not that I care, it's not a big deal.

On a side note, I personally think Street Fight, Tekken, MK, etc are all basically the same game with minor differences that distinguish them.

#20 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Watch how some people won't comment on Sony copying SSB but if Nintendo ever copied one of Sony's IP's they would be yelled at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!