20 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

http://www.eurogamer...s-market-second

"The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit," he explained.

"However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.

"Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released."

Accordingly, Iwata explained, it decided not to flood the 3DS's early release slate with casual games, instead prioritising core titles such as Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. It intends to take a similar approach with the Wii U when it launches later this year.

"Once consumers have a notion that 'this system is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," said Iwata.

"Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like 'width' and 'depth' to coexist.

"With the Nintendo DS and the Wii, the approach of 'width' was well accepted by many people; however, what we did in terms of 'depth' was not satisfactory for some consumers. This time, we would like consumers to be satisfied in both aspects.

"In order to do so, we started to work on the 'depth' aspect first, and the current and existing software you can see for the Nintendo 3DS is based on that idea. In the future, the approach will evolve," he continued.

"Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market."

From what theey are doing with the 3DS and what they have been announcing about the Wii U it sure seems like there plan is working:D.

#2 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

YES!!!!!!!

#3 Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, CoD

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Meelow100 = Kinglink13?

As a 3DS owner, I'd say he is speaking the truth. I've felt the games for the 3ds are pretty "core'ish" so far. And from the sounds of at least the 3rd party software coming up for Wii-U it sounds true for the Wii-U as well to me. I'm looking forward to it.

#4 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Meelow100 = Kinglink13?

As a 3DS owner, I'd say he is speaking the truth. I've felt the games for the 3ds are pretty "core'ish" so far. And from the sounds of at least the 3rd party software coming up for Wii-U it sounds true for the Wii-U as well to me. I'm looking forward to it.

Nope, just saw this on Gamefaq from Kinglink13.

#5 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

So basically, this is saying that we have all the people who complained about Nintendo for a long time to thank for Nintendo's renewed commitment to creating more fun, deep games for gaming enthusiasts. Lets have a round of applause for the whiners. :laugh:

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#6 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Learning from mistakes and having a great sounding plan of action. I love it.

GC-Wii, Nintendo was practically desperate for an audience, and they found that audience with the blue ocean.

Wii-Wii U, Nintendo gained an audience, but not the type of audience that buys enough games to sustain their business. For Wii U, they are targeting core gamers early in the lifespan, and will expand on that audience instead of vice versa. Nintendo makes me happy.

Edited by Fig, 01 May 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Good. Great news.

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

YES I'm gonna be satisfied even more than with the Wii
Posted Image

#9 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

*Starts Crying* Thank you.......

But if the 3DS is any indication then it seems true that they are focusing on the core first. The only casual titles I see were Steel Diver, Nintendog's + cats and some shovelware. But let's not forget the Wii had a good balance of core and casual games in it's first year. It was 2008 when it started to focus on the casual and pretty much abandoned hardcore gamers. Compare the Wii's first year to the 3DS's first year and it's similiar in support.

Wii (November 2006-November 2007)

Significant First Party Titles:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Strikers Charged

Significant Third Party Titles:

SSX Blur
Red Steel
Madden 08
Need for Speed Carbon
Battalion Wars
Super Monkey Ball
Medal of Honor 2

3DS First Party Titles (March 2011-March 2012)

Steel Diver
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Nintendog's +cats
Starfox 64 3D
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Third Party 3DS titles

Street Fighter IV 3D
Cave Story
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Sonic Generations

Very similiar. The difference is the 3DS is poised to have a big second year with already announced titles of Luigi's Mansion 2, Monster Hunter 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Super Paper Mario 3D, NSMB 2, etc. Whereas Wii's second year saw lot's of casual carp like Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii Music. The only hardcore games I can remember the Wii getting in 2008 were Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and No More Heroes.

Here's hoping the Wii U won't mezmerize us at launch and then leave us bored after a year,

Edited by 10k, 01 May 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Nope, just saw this on Gamefaq from Kinglink13.

I see that we've both been to the dark side of video gaming.

Third Party 3DS titles
Resident Evil: Raccoon City

Uhm... lolwut?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Uhm... lolwut?

Yeah I saw the 3 in PS3 and made a booboo lol. Fixed it haha.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#12 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's NOT true..Cries and runs away...Yeah it's true:( lol.

#13 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hey I just thought, if now we know Nintendo is looking for hardcores, then the Wii U is likely to be surprisingly powerful!
Posted Image

#14 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Let just hope this plays out well for Nintendo as time continues.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#15 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Its good to hear from Iwata himself. However we have heard this before at last E3 that Nintendo plans on taking the PS3/360 hardcores and bringing them over to the Wii U. A bunch of the 360/PS3 players were Nintendo fans but left cause Wii was just not quite good enough for them. But with Wii U and Nintendo being HD finally they will all gladly ditch the 360 and PS3 and come back home to Nintendo.

Edited by Nin_Stream, 01 May 2012 - 10:30 PM.

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

This is a shame.
The Wii did so well by not making the casual players feel alienated.

This is only going to hurt sales, as gamers are a**holes.

Edited by Nollog, 01 May 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

nice sadistic thought, personally the right balance is when the hardcore gamers(as in the socially correct but dumbass gamers)
get everything they want, while being kept separate both game and software wise from gamers who can hardly find the a button rather what all the stuff is on screen,

b*****s can't be kept with already frustrated non-gamers, so although catering for hardcore goodies is ok, Nintendo needs to make sure the normal bleebs don't get battered and abused, why else are their games so randomly won these days (marioparty9) and somehow make the hardcore gamers satisfied without pwning noobs
:laugh:

#18 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

*Starts Crying* Thank you.......

But if the 3DS is any indication then it seems true that they are focusing on the core first. The only casual titles I see were Steel Diver, Nintendog's + cats and some shovelware. But let's not forget the Wii had a good balance of core and casual games in it's first year. It was 2008 when it started to focus on the casual and pretty much abandoned hardcore gamers. Compare the Wii's first year to the 3DS's first year and it's similiar in support.

Wii (November 2006-November 2007)

Significant First Party Titles:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Strikers Charged

Significant Third Party Titles:

SSX Blur
Red Steel
Madden 07
Need for Speed Carbon
Battalion Wars
Super Monkey Ball
Medal of Honor 2

3DS First Party Titles (March 2011-March 2012)

Steel Diver
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Nintendogs +cats
Starfox 64 3D
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Third Party 3DS titles

Street Fighter IV 3D
Cave Story
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Sonic Generations

Very similiar. The difference is the 3DS is poised to have a big second year with already announced titles of Luigi's Mansion 2, Monster Hunter 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Super Paper Mario 3D, NSMB 2, etc. Whereas Wii's second year saw lot's of casual carp like Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii Music. The only hardcore games I can remember the Wii getting in 2008 were Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and No More Heroes.

Here's hoping the Wii U won't mezmerize us at launch and then leave us bored after a year,

#19 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is great news, I really think the Wii U will be a succes. I have been reading ign's boards and everybody there thinks the Wii U is going to be awesome just because the next PlayStation and XBox are rumored to be incompatible with used games.
Posted Image

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

I think it's gonna kick the other consoles asses, but it won't be as succesful as the Wii itself.
No sig.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!