Photo

Wii U Controller speculation (concept, possible applications)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sega, Nicalis, Mojang, Valve

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

Hello!

When I first saw the Wii U controller, this is what I imagined Nintendo was thinking:

Wii is successful
UDraw is (for SOME reason) successful

WII + UDRAW + TECHNOLOGY = WII U!

Haha... But anyways, then thinking about it, I imagine that Nintendo just wants to ride on the hype of tablet devices like the iPad, and that seemed to be demonstrated with the controller concept video. What do you think?

And that brings me to my second point -

Because the Wii U is backward compatible with all Wii controllers, it has to use Bluetooth (which is utilized by Wii Remotes). It would only make sense from a developer's standpoint to use Bluetooth with the new controller for simplicity. Now - most of you should know that the Wii Remote was exploited for use with PCs right around the Wii's release. Personally, I use GlovePIE to make scripts for all my Wii controllers for use with PC games, and of course Dolphin has Wii remote functionality built in. If the new Wii U controller uses this same tech, then most likely it will be exploited right around its launch as well! Perhaps we could even see alterations on the controllers built-in OS (if there is a built-in OS). Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone has modded the controller to function as a makeshift tablet (Android anyone? :)) within a couple months of the 2012 launch.

Be sure to reply with your thoughts and comments!

-Andrew
'DaManWitDaPlan'
Posted Image
My Platforms: NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, GB, GBC, VB, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PC
Check out my 3DS portal minisite! 3DSHome
Check out my personal game development webpage! AKSoft - Innovative Development

#2 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

In terms of the controller design, I think you are exactly correct. The controller design seems to be based around the center "tablet" screen, which seems very familiar to those who use the iDraw thing. I think this controller will also, as you said use Bluetooth, which means they could do many things with this device. In terms of the name, not mine or anyone's favorite it seems. I would have much rather have them name it the Nintendo or Nintendo stream. But other than that, I think the design is a good one, as long as they don't make any drastic changes (which Reggie said they won't)
Posted Image

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sega, Nicalis, Mojang, Valve

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

In terms of the name, not mine or anyone's favorite it seems.

Yeah, that's something I thought was quite ironic. The console is centered around this new tablet, and is called Wii U. Its like they took the UDraw controller, beefed it up, and then took the "U" from the name and slapped it on the end of Wii. XD
Posted Image
My Platforms: NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, GB, GBC, VB, GBA, NDS, 3DS, PC
Check out my 3DS portal minisite! 3DSHome
Check out my personal game development webpage! AKSoft - Innovative Development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!