Photo

Xbox Smart Glass (sort of beat ubuntu tablet to it)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

poor ubuntu linux
the free development team has been working hard on ubuntu for smart t.v. and tablet, coined to be connected devices, but as soon as this gets planned, the big boys microsoft seem to have already taken the lead in the idea to connect all devices alike.

they will be unvailing a universal pc to xbox360 (and perhaps later, xbox720) tablet software to run with android/ios, paving the way for connected tablet enviroments covering "computer hardware and software for phones, mobile devices, televisions, video game consoles, media players, and audiovisual devices."

this may not seem the biggest news but it is for me, connected devices really will be mainstream next year, the wiiu type of chat will be just a scratch on the surface, so for microsoft to make the first step really symbolizes another 5 years in which open source linux gets stuck in the dark.

yea yea, hardly connected remarks, but i have to say linux, its everything on my mind, other than wiiu of course XD

so, where can i hire a hitman^O^

Edited by uh20, 04 June 2012 - 04:36 PM.

:laugh:

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

...What?

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

...What?

Exactly what I was thinking while reading this.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Exactly what I was thinking while reading this.

...What?

Eh, it's basically microsofts equivalent of AirPlay where you can stream Xbox content on any device pretty much, even an iOS device.

Edited by 10k, 03 June 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Xbox Glass is just an app for your iOS, Android, etc. to allow you to interact with your Xbox Live account, from what I understand.

Ubuntu were beaten by Android, since Android is Linux.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Xbox Glass is just an app for your iOS, Android, etc. to allow you to interact with your Xbox Live account, from what I understand.

Ubuntu were beaten by Android, since Android is Linux.

Pretty much, it's intuitive when the works however getting it to work is still same old Microsoft.

I am a Windows Phone and Windows 8 user, so I should give an insight to this. Firstly last september with Mango (WP7.5) they released the Xbox Companion app, an app that pretty much is a basic version of smart glass. Companion Apps are MS exclusive atm, it works but there's a slight problem, at the moment you can only push content to xbox that is available on the Zune marketplace (Zune to be rebranded as Xbox Music, it's the same service but different name), I've tried to push videos that are on my hard drive to Xbox to be streamed, but it didn't allow it.

Once you push that to the Xbox, it has to launch the Zune/Music app, about 10 second wait. It will be great for those people that want to use Microsoft's ecosystem which won't be hard to miss as anyone wanting to buy a laptop this autumn they will buy a tabtop or a tablet running Windows 8. Computex is happening simultaneously as E3 and the hardware shown is amazing, 11 and 13 inch machines running at full 1920X1080 on the x86 models.

It's a great thing to mess around with but it becomes a gimmick

About the smart TV thing, earlier this year I was looking at smart tvs and realised they all did the same thing as consoles, so I wasn't surprised when they said you TV is now a smart TV since I kept saying that earlier this year that console boxes are smart tv boxes like Apple Tv and roku

#7 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

yea yea, penguin love took over, ill rephrase it into normal, but man, where can i get a hitman, anyone on microsoft will do
really, everyone uses windows and there are more support for it but at the same time its only inherited from it being used a lot, it lacks in nearly every field otherwise, and will lose everything if people stop putting trust into it
and thats everyones argument why its so bad, and its completely true, spend more than a month and you will find options and styles way surpassing the 1 or 2 desktop options you get per copy of $130 windows, not to mention a better backround software, which should be first on the list of any o.s. specs, it is'nt
damn, penguin love took over again

Edited by uh20, 04 June 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#8 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Haha! Microsoft thinks this "Xbox Smart Glass" is the way of beating the Wii U!
They are completely delusional.

#9 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

then it shall be a double edged fail!

#10 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

Haha! Microsoft thinks this "Xbox Smart Glass" is the way of beating the Wii U!
They are completely delusional.

Game industry people thinking this is their way of beating Wii U are delusional. Fanboys that think microsoft is doing this to beat the wii U are delusional.

Smart glass is the final step to Microsoft's (the whole company, not just the Xbox division) in completing their three screen ecosystem, TV, Phone and Computer. There are a handful of microsoft products that have so called "failed" in the eyes of the public, Zune, Windows Phone (small market share, small ecosystem, that could change with Apollo), Kin (it was a good concept but couldnt be taken forward because they had to do WP and Kin was a contract they signed out ages ago). The brands that have been succesful for Microsoft are Xbox, Windows and Office.

In order to compete with the i in all music, they had to rebrand and relaunch Zune (it's a great service, just everyone think it sucks) and they chose Xbox, since that is their best brand for entertainment.

Smart glass was not aimed at Wii U, it was aimed at Apple. It was telling Apple that millions of people have an Xbox and millions of people will be buying Windows 8 devices. That the install base will already exist and that their entertainment service rivals Apples. The Apple TV would become pointless if you own an Xbox and a Windows 8 device or any tablet for that matter.

The xbox is the Apple TV competitor, all people need is an Xbox and they can use any other device to "airplay" to the Xbox, it really goes after Apple a lot more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!