Photo

Ghost Recon Online free with Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Could it happen? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think we could get GRO free with the console?

1. No way!!! (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. For sure! (11 votes [19.64%])

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

3. Maybe. I'm not too sure. (24 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. You're crazy, man. (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

All or most of you probably know Ubisoft will be porting Ghost Recon Online from PC to Wii U for its' launch.

Well, this got me thinking. Since GRO is a free-to-play PC game, could it also be free on Wii U?

What if every Wii U, for the first year or so of the system's launch, comes with that game downloaded on the hard drive or on a disk?

Companies make money on F2P games with itemshops and such thing set up for the players to pay real money to get certain items you may not be able to get for free in-game, so Ubisoft would still make money off the game.

I don't know how likely this is, but it would be a great way for Nintendo to bring up the appeal of the console for the hardcore gamers.

Nintendo already have the casual market on lock. If they can get the hardcore market to flourish on the console beginning at launch, it will go a long towards making the console a huge success.

So, what do you think? Likely? Or unlikely?

Edited by Play4Fun, 14 June 2011 - 01:23 PM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#2 Sonic11

Sonic11

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yeah i completely agree with you.GRO would be awesome free
Posted Image

#3 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Depends.

Does the online allow for seamless and frequent microtransactions? If so, yeah.

#4 Guest_Baroque_*

Guest_Baroque_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Lol. No. GRO is looking like one of the best games on the Wii U, not that that's a hard thing to do seeing as how there is very little Wii U games we know of, so Ubisoft is gonna make a killing with that game. Don't expect a free copy of the game any time soon.

#5 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

so Ubisoft is gonna make a killing with that game

You know it's an F2P game, right?

#6 Guest_Baroque_*

Guest_Baroque_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

You know it's an F2P game, right?

You obviously haven't seen Cave Story on the DSiware shop, the Wiiware shop, and the 3DS version.

#7 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hmm hadn't really thought about this as I didn't know the PC version was free to play. It's quite possible and would be a very wise move on Nintendo's part. As you say would really attract the hardcore gamer to the console straight off the bat (which is important for third party support) but would also make the possible higher price of the console seem more justified.
Games go for about 60€ here for PS3 or Xbox360 so a 350-400€ price tag wouldn't seem too bad.

This may cause other issues though for people who don't want GRO, they could feel cheated, but then again Nintendo could just release another version of the console that includes maybe finished versions of the tech demo's at E3. (Chase Mii, Battle Mii, etc)

Something worth following tbh.

#8 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, they arnt going to give it out for free. It could happen, but not likely. Expect a lower price point though. It may be a downloadable game like in an eShop, but most likely not free.
Posted Image

#9 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

You obviously haven't seen Cave Story on the DSiware shop, the Wiiware shop, and the 3DS version.

Corporate F2P game =/= Indie F2P game.

One has a corporate strategy planned around it involving the use of hooking players with a free copy and extracting money through microtransactions. The other wants to have everyone play it and can't release it for free (on consoles/handhelds) because of licensing issues.

Edited by Storm, 14 June 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#10 RedYoshi

RedYoshi

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

I would say that no, it will not be free. I would love it if it was, but i highly doubt it.

#11 sonicguy25

sonicguy25

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

I doubt they'd give an shooter free to families that could have young children.

Edited by sonicguy25, 14 June 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#12 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

Maybe not free, but with <Price of game> amount of dollars put into the account?
For instance, you buy the game for the cheaper price of $25... But get $25 'Free' dollars to spend on in-game stuff.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#13 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

I don't think it'll be bundled for a few reasons,
1. It is an M rated game, and since it's a family console and whatnot as well as a hard core one I doubt they'd bundle it
2. Nintendo probably have they're own game that they are bundling in with the console such as Wii U sports or something.
3. It's third party and Nintendo may wanna stick to using their own stuff for launch

Howver, It could very possibly be a free downloadable game or a very cheap disk game (Like $20 AUD)

#14 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

I don't think it'll be bundled for a few reasons,
1. It is an M rated game, and since it's a family console and whatnot as well as a hard core one I doubt they'd bundle it
2. Nintendo probably have they're own game that they are bundling in with the console such as Wii U sports or something.
3. It's third party and Nintendo may wanna stick to using their own stuff for launch

Howver, It could very possibly be a free downloadable game or a very cheap disk game (Like $20 AUD)

Nintendo as we know them are changing. The big game at the 3DS's launch was a third-party one, SSFIV (and Ninty even did a lot of the marketing for it themselves).

But if GRO is a free launch title, count me in. :D

#15 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Nintendo as we know them are changing. The big game at the 3DS's launch was a third-party one, SSFIV (and Ninty even did a lot of the marketing for it themselves).

Yeah definitely, I think Nintendo will put a lot of work into working with it if it was free. But even with 3DS they didn't bundle SSFIV with the system.
And I think that is what will happen here, Nintendo will put up a banner on there site and tell everyone to play it, they just won't bundle it in.

#16 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

Maybe there will be 2 or more bundles? A WiiU for "casual" gamers bundled with WiiSportsU and another one bundled with GRO.

Posted Image

#17 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:28 AM

Maybe there will be 2 or more bundles? A WiiU for "casual" gamers bundled with WiiSportsU and another one bundled with GRO.

If it turns out GRO is a free addition than I am quite sure they will actually do this.

#18 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

I believe this is highly possibly.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#19 Crimson

Crimson

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Fandom:
    Platformers

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

I think it could be a free download on the download service, but if the launch lineup is scarce they could get away with putting it on shelves for a lower price.

#20 SonofMrPeanut

SonofMrPeanut

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Those all contained graphical and musical enhancements and a new English translation.

The controller interface could be a possible excuse for charging a premium for entry, but it wouldn't be wise.

Edited by SonofMrPeanut, 15 June 2011 - 07:05 PM.

"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Ricardo Montalban, Freakazoid!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!