#2 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

I still love the Percy Jackson series, and the series Rick riordan is cranking out lately like the series after the Percy Jackson series, and the Kane chronicles. And for why, because they are very well written and have humor and actual reality mixed into it.
Posted Image

#3 Someone

Someone

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Either The Last Olympian (Rick Riordan), The Lost Hero (Rick Riordan), How Stuff Works (by the How Stuff Works (website) staff), or Brisingr (Christopher Paolini).

#4 BonBon

BonBon

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Fandom:
    Homestuck

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Animal Farm.
George Orwell is still one of the most talented writers I've ever seen.

Posted Image

#5 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Either The Last Olympian (Rick Riordan), The Lost Hero (Rick Riordan), How Stuff Works (by the How Stuff Works (website) staff), or Brisingr (Christopher Paolini).

Haha I see we have the same taste! I personally thought those 2 books you just listed are the best in the series (Percy Jackson) we need to be friends, so I am going to send the request :D
Posted Image

#6 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

Percy Jackson books, Grapes of Wrath, Frankenstein, The Giver, Gathering Blue, Brave New World, May Bird books.

I hate Twilight, I read the first 5 chapters and decided it was too girly for me. I'd rather watch Young and the Restless.

#7 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Isle of Swords/Isle of Fire and The Door Within trilogy.
Absolutely amazing books.

I also like The Circle Trilogy, Infernal City, Order of the ancient and others.

#8 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:28 AM

I wouldn't say they're my favourite books, but the Percy Jackson books are very good. I think I've read up to halfway through the fourth book, but then I couldn't find time to read it. I'll make an effort to go back and read the rest of the series over the summer.

#9 GunGoomba

GunGoomba

Friend of Bulbmins

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Mario, Peach, Zelda. Yoshi

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:20 AM

I would have to say Coraline.
Posted Image

#10 antigrammer

antigrammer

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Valve

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

My absolute favorite book is All Quiet on the Western Front. It's simply a devastating book about war, wasted life, and human arrogance, and is genuinely engrossing and tragic. The best thing about it is that it is probably the only book I've ever read that didn't manage to glamorize war. Lots of other books pay lip service to war being a bad thing, but they all end up at least making it seem exciting and heroic, perhaps even unintentionally. This book manages to avoid that pitfall, and in doing so changed my views on warfare significantly.

Ray Bradbury is another great writer, and he has a great range: some stuff exciting, some moving, some horrifying. I think he does have the problem of being overly sentimental, but that's a small criticism of a sometimes brilliant writer. Start with the Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 and go from there. Something that deserves special mention is "The Trapdoor," one of my favorite short horror stories.

And like several other people have said, Percy Jackson is pretty darn good. Just whatever you do, don't see the movie. Seriously, don't do it.

#11 illusion

illusion

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Daemon by Daniel Suarez. And, why ... well he takes a computer generated world and brings it into reality. Amazing writing.

Edited by illusion, 16 June 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#12 SHADOW

SHADOW

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

when I was a kid my favorite books were goosebumps books! ^^
Posted Image

#13 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

when I was a kid my favorite books were goosebumps books! ^^

I loved the goosebumps books! I had tons of them. Currently I'm reading "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" which is being made into a movie by the Coen brothers. Really excited for that.

#14 LrRecon

LrRecon

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Fandom:
    LoZ, Sly cooper, Kingdom Hearts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

My favorite book would either be. The Shawshank Redemption, Firestarter, or Inkheart =) oh and also the percy jackson series although I never read the last olympion... Just going to have to read them all again to refresh my mind!
Posted Image

#15 Bunny

Bunny

20% Cooler

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • NNID:Skybunny

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I don't read a lot of books but I use to be hooked on A Series of Unfortunate Events when I was in elementary school. :P

#16 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

One series of books I really like is the Inheritance Cycle. I'd forgotten about them until today, when I saw that the fourth one finally has a release date: 8 November 2011. I'll have to re-read the first three before then, to refresh my memory. It's about time this book was published; the last one was in 2008. I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait though.

#17 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

One series of books I really like is the Inheritance Cycle. I'd forgotten about them until today, when I saw that the fourth one finally has a release date: 8 November 2011. I'll have to re-read the first three before then, to refresh my memory. It's about time this book was published; the last one was in 2008. I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait though.

Ah! I was just thinking about that series the other day! I'll have to go find the first 3 as well. There on a book shelve somewhere...

#18 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

I was impressed with "eragon". Eldest was ok. Brsinger. Was just a dissapointment. It was almost like the author ran out of ideas for the book, and the ending was predictable. Most of all, I was dissapointed that it was not a trilogy. Hopefully the ending will be good though.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#19 Krystal

Krystal

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Lemony Snicket:A Series of Unfortuante Events. Sure it's 13 books, and the villian gets less threatening with each book, but you really do feel for the kids and the things they go through. :D
Why.
So.
Serious?

#20 ThePumpkinKing

ThePumpkinKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Fandom:
    Spider-Man, Professor Layton

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

I would say the Skeleton Creek series are the best books ever! Patrick Carman is one of the best authors ever! Just sayin! If you have never read those books an if you are in to horror, you should start reading them. They are worth a try! Plus they have videos that you can watch that tie in with the story and it really makes your expierence more interactive! (BTW this is my first post! I just joined now!)
Recently Watched Movies: The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man (Favorite of this year), The Avengers.

Current Games I'm Playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Okami HD, LittleBigPlanet

What I'm Geeking Out For This Month: The Amazing Spider-Man DVD Release, and of course, The WiiU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!