• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 darkknight41

darkknight41

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

While existing platforms have engines that development teams have tuned and optimized for six to seven years after their respective launches, the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilising its full potential," he said.
"Despite this fact, however, if you look at the game Assassin's Creed 3, which was recently announced or shown, you can't see much difference when you compare it with games for other companies' systems.

Iwata went on to address the different ways the platform holders are spending their hardware development budgets, explaining that Nintendo has made a heavy investment in the Wii U GamePad at the expense of processing power.
"Of course, because we have designed a new hardware system, we are using new technology and we are using new GPUs. But as we have to devote significant costs to the Wii U GamePad, if we were to apply the same level of enhancement that other console manufacturers shoot for to the processing power component, the Wii U would become extremely high in price, and it would not be affordable.
"In other words, we think that the way that the various console manufacturers are allocating their budgets to the hardware is different from the way that we allocate our budget to the hardware. Ultimately, we're looking to maintain a price point for the Wii U that is reasonable in comparison to the value to be offered."

http://www.computera...full-potential/

#2 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

"as we have to devote significant costs to the Wii U GamePad, if we were to apply the same level of enhancement that other console manufacturers shoot for to the processing power component, the Wii U would become extremely high in price, and it would not be affordable."

Breaking news!!! Wii U won't be as powerful as PS4/720! (sarcasm guys, we all ready pretty much knew that).

But to stay on topic, it's great that games in the future will only look better on Wii U than they do now.

Edited by Fig, 13 June 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#3 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

"as we have to devote significant costs to the Wii U GamePad, if we were to apply the same level of enhancement that other console manufacturers shoot for to the processing power component, the Wii U would become extremely high in price, and it would not be affordable."

Breaking news!!! Wii U won't be as powerful as PS4/720! (sarcasm guys, we all ready pretty much knew that).

Lol Iwata said they aren't going to make the Wii U super high end Sony and Microsoft might, but that doesn't mean the Wii U is weak, but trolls will take that as it is and troll everyone.

#4 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Lol Iwata said they aren't going to make the Wii U super high end Sony and Microsoft might, but that doesn't mean the Wii U is weak, but trolls will take that as it is and troll everyone.

lol yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at.

#5 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

lol yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at.

It was pretty much a fact the Wii U won't be super high end with power but I don't see the PS4 doing this too, Sony already lost too much money and if they go for super high end then good luck Sony.

#6 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I hope they know what they're doing here. I think Nintendo tends to very grossly underestimate the sheer value that hardware/processing power has in a gaming console. There was a lot of opportunity here for Wii U to be the first true next-gen console, even WITH the tablet controller draining resources. I'm pretty dissapointed that Nintendo has gone for a low power route yet again, but circumstances are different to how they were when the Wii launched, and it could end up turning out much better in the long run.

Posted Image

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Next gen 1.5: confirmed.

Luckily, Sony has said they won't make a big leap in power too. Now it's up too Microsoft. They will probably take the biggest step forward.

Sure, Wii U will fall behind, but not as bad as the Wii. It's just... I'd rather pay a bit more money for a bit more power you know. But we'll see.
No sig.

#8 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I hope they know what they're doing here. I think Nintendo tends to very grossly underestimate the sheer value that hardware/processing power has in a gaming console. There was a lot of opportunity here for Wii U to be the first true next-gen console, even WITH the tablet controller draining resources. I'm pretty dissapointed that Nintendo has gone for a low power route yet again, but circumstances are different to how they were when the Wii launched, and it could end up turning out much better in the long run.

NINTENDO IS SAYING THAT NINTENDO IS NOT MAKING A LEAP LIKE PS2 TO PS3 THEY ARE MAKING A LEAP LIKE SEGA SATURN TO DREAMCAST.

#9 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Next gen 1.5: confirmed.

Luckily, Sony has said they won't make a big leap in power too. Now it's up too Microsoft. They will probably take the biggest step forward.

Sure, Wii U will fall behind, but not as bad as the Wii. It's just... I'd rather pay a bit more money for a bit more power you know. But we'll see.

I'm of course buying both the Wii U and PS4 but I do wish Nintendo would just give us a super powerful console for the Wii U, we want third party support and that won't happen if the PS4 and 720 are much more powerful, I do really doubt the PS4 will be that much more powerful then the Wii U because of Sony's situation but I do think Nintendo needs to let go of being scared to have super powerful consoles again, of course his statements mean nothing about the power because the Wii U can be a true next gen console in power but they won't pull a PS3 for the Wii U, they said they always could though.

#10 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

NINTENDO IS SAYING THAT NINTENDO IS NOT MAKING A LEAP LIKE PS2 TO PS3 THEY ARE MAKING A LEAP LIKE SEGA SATURN TO DREAMCAST.

Err... Yes, I know that. But I WANTED them to make a leap like from PS2 to PS3, you see? That was the point I was making. :P

Saturn to DreamCast doesn't seem like the best comparison anyway. Maybe N64 to Dreamcast, or even less, we don't fully know yet.

Posted Image

#11 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Err... Yes, I know that. But I WANTED them to make a leap like from PS2 to PS3, you see? That was the point I was making. :P

Saturn to DreamCast doesn't seem like the best comparison anyway. Maybe N64 to Dreamcast, or even less, we don't fully know yet.

They are making that leap, the Wii U is more powerful then the PS3 and 360 and the Wii was an overclocked GameCube, that's a huge leap.

#12 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

They are making that leap, the Wii U is more powerful then the PS3 and 360 and the Wii was an overclocked GameCube, that's a huge leap.

Yes, it's a massive leap from Wii to Wii U, sure. But I'm not JUST a Nintendo gamer, so I look at it in terms of "How much more powerful is it compared to the most powerful systems on the market today?". Yes, we know it's MORE powerful than those systems. But how much more? We don't know exactly, but the hints that keep getting dropped indicate that the Wii U will be more of an overclocked PS3, like how Wii was an overclocked GameCube. I don't want that to be the case, but it very well could be.

Posted Image

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

The PS4 will likely use off the shelf components just like the Vita. R&D at Sony has been seriously cut back in resources. Its likely the PS4 will have some sort of AMD fusion type chip perhaps at 32nm and its quite possible the PS4 will be released for christmas 2013. Its really important for Nintendo they have a good christmas this year but its absolutely crucial that Sony do well next year with the PS4.

I think the PS4 will be far more powerful than wii u and not be more expensive but it won't feature a game pad with a screen.

One thing I don't believe is there is some steep learning curve to wii u. I'm sure more performance will be unlocked but I'm not convinced it will be much. There is nothing radical about the wii u. You can make the case that the ps3 has hidden power and you can see a huge difference between early ps3 and new ps3 titles. I'm sure as the development software improves the wii u will achieve more but it seems to me a marketing exercise to try to fool people into thinking the console presents untapped power when the hardware it contains is well known and easy to develop for.

Games written from the ground up for wii u like ZombiU should make efficient use of the hardware.

#14 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yes, it's a massive leap from Wii to Wii U, sure. But I'm not JUST a Nintendo gamer, so I look at it in terms of "How much more powerful is it compared to the most powerful systems on the market today?". Yes, we know it's MORE powerful than those systems. But how much more? We don't know exactly, but the hints that keep getting dropped indicate that the Wii U will be more of an overclocked PS3, like how Wii was an overclocked GameCube. I don't want that to be the case, but it very well could be.

I feel like Nintendo knows they need amazing third party support so they could be doing something, the GameCube was more powerful then the PS2 and it cost $100 cheaper, Nintendo could do the same with the Wii U because of how much cheaper things cost, Nintendo could easily make a much more powerful console but keep it cost effinect.

#15 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

The PS4 will likely use off the shelf components just like the Vita. R&D at Sony has been seriously cut back in resources. Its likely the PS4 will have some sort of AMD fusion type chip perhaps at 32nm and its quite possible the PS4 will be released for christmas 2013. Its really important for Nintendo they have a good christmas this year but its absolutely crucial that Sony do well next year with the PS4.

I think the PS4 will be far more powerful than wii u and not be more expensive but it won't feature a game pad with a screen.

One thing I don't believe is there is some steep learning curve to wii u. I'm sure more performance will be unlocked but I'm not convinced it will be much. There is nothing radical about the wii u. You can make the case that the ps3 has hidden power and you can see a huge difference between early ps3 and new ps3 titles. I'm sure as the development software improves the wii u will achieve more but it seems to me a marketing exercise to try to fool people into thinking the console presents untapped power when the hardware it contains is well known and easy to develop for.

Games written from the ground up for wii u like ZombiU should make efficient use of the hardware.

The engine for that game was not built from the ground up for the wiiu. Killer freaks from outer space started as a ps360 mature take on the Rabbids game. The idea and controller functionality obviously is built from ground up for wii u... But the engine was built for ps360 use.

Edited by TRON, 13 June 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

But to stay on topic, it's great that games in the future will only look better on Wii U than they do now.

inb4 two new thread about your comment.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

He isn't saying the controller uses to much power. He is saying that they have x amount of cash. X = c and v, where v is greater.than c. They used c for hardware - less money - and v for controller - more money.

Anyway, @Nintendo ... Tell me something I didn't know. Developers not using full power of the Wii U, check got it. Using only half of the full power? Okay, that happens with most console launches, check.

So, exactly what did we learn here?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#18 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

He isn't saying the controller uses to much power. He is saying that they have x amount of cash. X = c and v, where v is greater.than c. They used c for hardware - less money - and v for controller - more money.

Anyway, @Nintendo ... Tell me something I didn't know. Developers not using full power of the Wii U, check got it. Using only half of the full power? Okay, that happens with most console launches, check.

So, exactly what did we learn here?

Well this would be for the stupid fanboys that believe the demos we saw at E3 represent what the wii u is capable of. You have article after article on the net claiming PS3 is more powerful than the wii u... And fanboys believe it

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

@Tron thanks buddy, you are exactly rihht. And ubisoft themselves said at E3 they were using an older dev kit. Thats why the controller was not wireless.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

In fairness many people on this forum were predicting the wii u to be super powerful using the latest gpu and cpu technlogy and possibly costing upto twice the now predicted retail price. We can all make our guesses of what the wii u spec will be and some will be closer than others. My prediction is still in the 1-2x area of performance and I've no reason to move from that. I honestly believe in some ways the ps3 will be more powerful than wii u. The bluray drive is capable of more storage, its likely the cell is more powerful than the wii u cpu, it has all the benefits of a built in hard drive that the wii u doesn't have and it supports more sound channels.

Of course I'm expecting the wii u to have a far superior gpu, a lot more memory, faster optical drive, a huge advantage in memory bandwidth and of course that new controller that I've gone from being unsure about to being really enthusiastic about now. Also the whole user interface looks brilliant and I'm drooling at the prospect of some amazing Nintendo games on it.

I feel my expectations are realistic and I'm not convinced the wii u will be a powerful console just competitive with 360 and PS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!