Photo

Where did Sony go wrong this generation?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hey everyone, just found this awesome video on Youtube. I'd suggest you check it out, it goes over where Sony went wrong.
Click here to watch. I must say its a pretty interesting video. Do you agree or disagree with Archemedies? I definitely agree.

2lvmghw.png

#2 KgGamesXL

KgGamesXL

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

That video was awesome and i definitively agree with Archimedes because all of his points were right and very true and I think Sony should really watch this and take notes and nice post i'm giving you a like.

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'll tell you.

They skipped a generation, resulting in extremely pricey consoles and higher costs to making games, therefore driving their profits down tremendously and throwing several game companies out of business all at the same time.

Did I get that right?

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'll tell you.

They skipped a generation, resulting in extremely pricey consoles and higher costs to making games, therefore driving their profits down tremendously and throwing several game companies out of business all at the same time.

Did I get that right?

Nope. Watch the video.

Edited by Colinx, 13 July 2012 - 10:02 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#5 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'll tell you.

Did I get that right?

Skipped a generation? PS3 isn't much more powerful than Xbox 360 when you get down to it, if at all... :P

Edited by Deadly Virus, 13 July 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Lets not forget, after all Sony is a hardware company so it does make sense that the PS3 has better hardware then the XBOX. Like the video says, the problem was that Sony wasted money trying to get other fan bases when they didn't know what their own fan base actually wanted. Nintendo always has Mario and their own titles to have if all else fails. Like what they did with the Wii. Nintendo pretty much carried Nintendo this generation. For XBOX? Halo is becoming their own Mario where if all else fails resort to Halo because they know their own hardcore fan base likes Halo. Even though, I doubt a single title could hold XBOX. If you want your best experience playing on your 360 with Halo you likely are paying money for live. For PS3? They wouldn't have anything because all of their remakes are knock offs of good things. Yeah they have some good exclusives but they don't compare to XBOX or Nintendo's.

Edited by Colinx, 13 July 2012 - 11:27 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#7 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Plus the good 1st party games that people grew up with never made it to the PS3. Sony just made new ones, and a lot of them as arch said. Also it was super expensive...

#8 the gamz girnalizt

the gamz girnalizt

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    criticising nintendo

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Lets not forget, after all Sony is a hardware company so it does make sense that the PS3 has better hardware then the XBOX.

Does that REALLY have to do with anything about PS3 having more powerful hardware?

And what you're trying to say is wrong. You're basically trying to say PS2 is more powerful than GameCube/Xbox and PS1 is more powerful than Nintendo 64, which it isn't.

gamz girnalizm all da way

#9 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm not going to watch the video, but IMO, a lot of it was software. They didn't have crash, spyro, jak, ratchet, sly, etc. for the first several years and instead made new IPs, but the fanbase wanted more of those games. By now the mainstream audience has completely forgotten all about the PS1&2 games, so now that they're finally making those franchises again, it doesn't help with anything but their core fanbase.

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Skipped a generation? PS3 isn't much more powerful than Xbox 360 when you get down to it, if at all... :P

'

Look at N64 to PS2.

Then look at PS2 to PS3.

See the problem? They skipped an entire generation of graphics because they could, and many, MANY game developers suffered for it along with them.

Nope. Watch the video.

I'm fairly sure from a business/industry side, I was accurate. I wasn't talking about the fanbase.

Lets not forget, after all Sony is a hardware company so it does make sense that the PS3 has better hardware then the XBOX. Like the video says, the problem was that Sony wasted money trying to get other fan bases when they didn't know what their own fan base actually wanted. Nintendo always has Mario and their own titles to have if all else fails. Like what they did with the Wii. Nintendo pretty much carried Nintendo this generation. For XBOX? Halo is becoming their own Mario where if all else fails resort to Halo because they know their own hardcore fan base likes Halo. Even though, I doubt a single title could hold XBOX. If you want your best experience playing on your 360 with Halo you likely are paying money for live. For PS3? They wouldn't have anything because all of their remakes are knock offs of good things. Yeah they have some good exclusives but they don't compare to XBOX or Nintendo's.

...I'm slowly wondering if you even know what you're talking about.

Sony has MANY exclusive franchises such as Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, inFamous, 3D Dot Game Heroes, God of War, LittleBigPlanet and more that can't be found anywhere else. I honestly have no idea what you're referring to when you say "They wouldn't have anything because all of their remakes are knock offs of good things" which at face value, is complete crap. Yes, they are doing a knock-off of SSBB, but other than that, what have they 'knocked off' or 'remade' as you say? Last I checked, the PS3 is getting a great deal of very well reviewed exclusives, most of which aren't remakes OR knockoffs.

GameZombie44.png

#11 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

What is this garbled mess of messy proportions?
X-Box has two or three decent exclusives. PlayStation has like fifty flajillion. In the IP aspect, they are nearly as covered as Nintendo.
And what knock-offs? I don't know what you are talking about, man.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#12 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

What is this garbled mess of messy proportions?
X-Box has two or three decent exclusives. PlayStation has like fifty flajillion. In the IP aspect, they are nearly as covered as Nintendo.
And what knock-offs? I don't know what you are talking about, man.

non of them are that succesfull and are only as good as third party games. except GT

its a shame to see a powerful console not stand out from the rest, i think they thought it to far and maybe made it too powerful. but overall i think the problem is that the xbox just has a stronger appeal to people, i personally preferred the play station over the xbox so why isn't it as popular.

Plus the good 1st party games that people grew up with never made it to the PS3. Sony just made new ones, and a lot of them as arch said. Also it was super expensive...

i agree. although many of the good games were third party titles.
anyone remember playing Crash Bandicoot racing all the time. those were the good days.

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#13 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

non of them are that succesfull and are only as good as third party games. except GT

Did you do any sort of research when making this statement? At all?

Global Sales for Uncharted as a series - 14.8 Million Worldwide
LittleBigPlanet as a series - 9.56 Million Worldwide
God of War as a series - 19.75 Million Worldwide
inFAMOUS as a series (remember, there's only two games in this series) - 3.43 Million Worldwide
Ratchet and Clank as a series - 21.45 Million Worldwide

And I've played a game in every series above (except for God of War, that game disgusts me) and they're much, much better than most third party offerings I've seen. Especially inFAMOUS and Little Big Planet.

GameZombie44.png

#14 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

While I do agree with the points brought up by the video, I have to say that the price WAS an issue. It was... what, double what we were used to paying for consoles?
In a sense I understand that they were trying to do the same as the PS2 with the whole Blu-ray player thing. (And honestly it was a cheap Blu-ray player)
But it eliminated those who did not have the cash for it and did not want to bet on Blu-ray for a while.

Thinking about it further, I just don't see the logic here.
You make the PS3 at a price out of budget for a large portion of the audience. Children. How many parents are gonna shell out 600-700 for the console and a couple games, even at Xmas? Even if they're well off, they'd have to give up their Bday present to even make the case to parents. Even then it's about 300-350 each for "two" presents.
But not even that. It's so expensive to produce that even at that insane price, you're selling at a loss. You expect software sales to bring you into profit but produce games at a high price because they're Blu-ray. In addition to that, the architecture was "hard to develop for", which slowed down 3rd party support.
Posted Image
I myself didn't buy a PS3 until last Xmas (Bundle with LBP2 and R+C4) because it finally was a decent deal. I was upset by the price point for a long while and initially wanted to wait it out until KH3 released. I finally decided to give in before the PS3 base is dead and I find out PS4 has no backward compatibility. :ph34r:
But I find myself disliking LBP (trapped by the hype) and longing for the old series. I need to visit a recommended PS3 game thread lol.
Posted Image

#15 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Look at N64 to PS2.

Then look at PS2 to PS3.

See the problem? They skipped an entire generation of graphics because they could, and many, MANY game developers suffered for it along with them.

If you look at PS1 to PS2, and then PS2 to PS3, the graphical leap between both of them is about the same. I don't think they skipped a generation, it's just a fact unfortunately that game development is going to get riskier and costlier as technology progresses.

Posted Image

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Done sawed that a while ago, I'd say the biggest factor was 599 US Dollars.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Did you do any sort of research when making this statement? At all?

Global Sales for Uncharted as a series - 14.8 Million Worldwide
LittleBigPlanet as a series - 9.56 Million Worldwide
God of War as a series - 19.75 Million Worldwide
inFAMOUS as a series (remember, there's only two games in this series) - 3.43 Million Worldwide
Ratchet and Clank as a series - 21.45 Million Worldwide

And I've played a game in every series above (except for God of War, that game disgusts me) and they're much, much better than most third party offerings I've seen. Especially inFAMOUS and Little Big Planet.

That's as a series though. Many single Wii games pass those numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

But I'm not saying the PS3 has horrible game sales. Just saying I like the Wii...

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

If you look at PS1 to PS2, and then PS2 to PS3, the graphical leap between both of them is about the same. I don't think they skipped a generation, it's just a fact unfortunately that game development is going to get riskier and costlier as technology progresses.

Eh, let's compare for arguing sake. Even if I'm wrong, I want to see where this goes.

PS2's near-end life cycle graphics (Shadow of the Colossus is the most visually impressive game on the PS2 imo)

Spoiler

PS1 Graphics

Spoiler
(Sorry I couldn't find a bigger picture of that...large pictures for Vagrant Story are hard to come by.)

Then you have PS3 graphics, the best example is either MGS4 or Uncharted 3. Pictures below.

Uncharted 3:

Spoiler

Metal Gear Solid 4

Spoiler

I tried to compare the graphics as evenly as possible (tried to remember/find games that had very well-done graphical capabilities for the systems in full 3D) and...it's close. I honestly think that PS2 - PS3 seems to be a much, much larger jump, but it's still close. Oh wells. :P

That's as a series though. Many single Wii games pass those numbers.

http://en.wikipedia....Wii_video_games

But I'm not saying the PS3 has horrible game sales. Just saying I like the Wii...

Well, that isn't as fair a comparison. Most of those Wii sales are based on decades old, established IPs. I honestly think Sony is doing very well in software sales for having introduced these just a few years ago. Especially in Uncharted/God of Wars case.

Edited by GameCollector, 13 July 2012 - 08:05 PM.

GameZombie44.png

#19 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Well, that isn't as fair a comparison. Most of those Wii sales are based on decades old, established IPs. I honestly think Sony is doing very well in software sales for having introduced these just a few years ago. Especially in Uncharted/God of Wars case.

Which is kind of what I said above. If Sony stuck with older IPs (as well as introducing SOME new ones) they would have some that were at least a decade and a half old. Crash could have been as well known as Mario.

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Which is kind of what I said above. If Sony stuck with older IPs (as well as introducing SOME new ones) they would have some that were at least a decade and a half old. Crash could have been as well known as Mario.

Sorry about that. xP I get kinda on-edge in this topic. o-o;

I somewhat agree. If Sony had stuck with some older franchises, they may have gotten a better install base/sale rate. However, I still say it was price of system + games + extra controllers that mattered much more than IPs here.

GameZombie44.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!