#1 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

This is my first ever fanfic, first ever story perhaps outside of writing for school. I entered it for a competition on the KH forums. It actually got quite slated ;) . Just wanted to get you guys opinion. It is a bit confusing because the limit was 5000 characters but the original story was more like 30, 000 so a lot was cut out. I will probably rewrite this MUCH better, with everything that was meant to be in it.

Please go ruthlessly crazy with your critiques, that would be very much appreciated. :D

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters and they remain the copyright of Square Enix and Disney. No copyright infringement intended.

What is legacy? Is it possible to be possessed by that which you leave behind?

“SORA!”
Tha harsh scream of Donald’s voice made Sora fly out of the tree. The world seemed to move in slow motion as his face connected with sand. Hard.
“Ugh...” he sighed closing his eyes in pain.
“Wah, Sora, this zis is no time to to be sleeping,” Donald yelped whacking his staff into Sora’s back.
“What’s up, Donald,” Sora said sitting up and shaking the sand from his spiky brown mane.
“What’s up?!” Donald exclaimed in shock as if it was obvious. “King Mickey has urgent news.”
“Mickey’s here!” Sora jumped up forgetting he had just fallen out a tree and winced in pain.
Sora followed Donald through the winding trees of Sherwood Forest. The trees seemed to whisper as they walked pass as if they knew of the danger that was coming.
Donald finally stopped as a figure appeared in the distance, as they got closer they realised it was a fox dressed in a green tunic. Mickey and Goofy were there and they seemed to be in deep conversation with the strange character.
“Mickey!” Sora said running up to join them.
“Hey, Sora,” Mickey’s huge ears twitched as he made a huge smile.
“What’s this?” Donald said jabbing his staff into the fox’s green tunic.
“Robin Hood of Nottingham, dear sir,” the fox gave a convoluted bow, resenting Donald’s poke.
“Introductions will have to wait I’m afraid,” Mickey said. “We have to leave immediately.”
“Leave?” Sora said. “We can’t. There’s been reports of strange creatures here. Must be heartless.”
“I’m afraid we have no choice,” and with that Mickey grabbed Sora’s arm.
“HEY!” Sora exclaimed but the ground gave way and he felt himself falling...
“Sora, you ok?” Goofy’s voice seemed to be miles away.
“I... feel... weak...” Sora blinked open his eyes but all he saw was darkness.

“I’m afraid we can’t wait for him to come around,” Mickey said hours later in Hollow Bastion.
“But, your majesty,” Goofy started.
“The world is depending on us Goofy,” Mickey said holding out his hand. “There are reports of a heartless possessing a keyblade and he has already captured Belle, Cinderella, Elizabeth Swann, Esmeralda and in each case their friends start to forget them and fall unconscious just like Sora. We have to find this heartless before it...”
“Just like Sora!” Donald interrupted.
“You mean this heartless has Kairi! Oh no!” Goofy said shaking his head.
“How can a heartless have a keyblade, wah!” Donald yelped poking his staff into an unconscious Sora. “Wake up, Sora!”
“This strange heartless has stolen them from their worlds,” Mickey said, his keyblade forming elegantly in the palm of his outstretched hand. “To save Aladdin, Will and the others... and Sora we have to find their friends.”

“Why have you brought us here, your majesty,” Donald looked out among the huge ships docked at Port Royal. The dusky night air brought with it a chill and a reminder that Sora was not with them.
“Elizabeth Swann was one of the first to be taken,” Mickey said somersaulting onto the deck of the Black Pearl.
Donald and Goofy followed him on board with less impressive feats. The old boat creaked loudly as they approached the helm where an unkempt man with long dark locks stood muttering to himself.
“... yo ho ho and a bottle of rum... really bad eggs... ”
“Yikes! Jack Sparrow, we’re sure glad to—“
“It’s Captain,” the man said swirling round in anger. “Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy?”
“Nice to see you again, Captain,” Goofy said cheerily.
“Sorry? Who are you, mate?”
“Goofy! Don’t ‘cha remember me? This is Donald and King Mickey.” Goofy said losing none of his cheer.
“We’re here to ask you what happened to Elizabeth Swann?” Mickey said.
“Elizabeth... yeah I remember her... I think. There she was tottering on the deck.” Jack started prancing about. “Then all of a sudden this black shadow ‘bout as tall as my waist carrying this weird looking sword, snatches her off her mutton and takes her through some sort of ghostly portal thing. Then Will goes all faint and starts acting like a goldfish riding a unicycle.”
Donald, Goofy and Mickey stared at Jack with blank faces.
“Well maybe not a goldfish riding a unicycle but maybe a goldfish that used to ride a unicycle but can’t ride it anymore due to it being unconscious, savvy?”
“Was the blade like this?” Mickey said cutting through Jack’s babble and in a burst of light his own keyblade shimmered in his hand ready for action.
“That’s the one!” Jack said clapping. “Bravo mate, and nice timing too seeing as we’ve got company.”
“Wah?” Donald said .

Donald, Goofy and Mickey spun around to see a horde of fearsome creatures right behind them standing as silently as ghosts. The most horrifying thing about them was that they seemed to be made from elements of the sea. They had oars sticking through their flesh and seaweed for skin. Their evil grins revealed dark opals for teeth. The most fearsome of all had a face of tentacles and a peg leg that’s thud seemed to shake the world as it hit the wooden ship floor. The creature crouched down to Mickey’s level and leaned right into his face. Mickey could smell its horrible breath as it spoke.
“Do you fear death, King Mickey?” It whispered menacingly.
“Not when I know I’ll die protecting friends,” Mickey said gearing himself for a fight, the keyblade shimmered with anticipation.
“How do you know us?” Donald said, daring to speak.
“A wee weird woman clad in black with a pale green face said she knew of two more souls to serve an eternity on my ship. And when she told me they were friends of...” the tentacled man, Davy Jones paused. “Jack Sparrow, I had to take up the opportunity.”
“Maleficent!” Donald and Goofy said simultaneously.
The dreadful sea creatures lurched forward suddenly, grabbing out at Donald and Goofy. With a jump Mickey smashed down his keyblade into them. But more still came. Donald found himself surrounded by four of them, one had a lobster for an ear.
“Take that!” he screamed firing magic into them blasting them back.
“Waah!” Goofy yelled as one of the sea creatures knocked him into the helm.
Donald threw a potion at Goofy healing him instantly before looking around for King Mickey who was nowhere to be seen.
“Your majesty!” Donald yelled before sending a fire spell into one of the creatures who burst into flames and ran madly off of the ship.

Jack sparrow unsheathed his sword and ran into the fight slashing his sword and clanging metal against metal. When most of the creatures were defeated Davy Jones gritted his teeth and signalled to his crewman.
“I will be back and your souls will be mine. And not only will I have your souls but the wench also promised me the souls of the ones locked up in the Forgotten Fortress.” And with a horrible laugh Davy Jones disappeared into the darkness along with his remaining crew.
“Not very friendly, is he?” Jack muttered. “And what’s all that Forgotten Fortress stuff?”
“That must be where the heartless with the keyblade has taken Elizabeth, Belle and the others,” Goofy said.
Before Donald could comment a figure appeared on the deck clad in black. Fearing Davy Jones had returned Jack raised his sword but the figure merely dropped two pieces of paper on the floor and disappeared into the shadows. Donald scooped them up.
“Who was that?” Donald yelped.
“I have no idea, Donald” Goofy said staring down at the two pieces of paper in Donald’s hand.
One only had the words, ‘Why two?’ written on it while the other had the words Forgotten Fortress and underneath it were weird symbols.
“What’s it mean?” Donald said peering at the papers.
“It seems like that mysterious person is trying to help us,” Goofy said.
“But the King is gone,wah why does he always do that?” Donald said staring out to sea. “We have to find him.”
“And Forbidden Fortress to save our friends,” Goofy reminded him.
And with a paper with symbols and another with the mysterious words ‘Why Two?’ Goofy and Donald set off in search of their king and the Forbidden Fortress, thoughts of Sora unconscious far away heavy on their minds.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to this; I've been really busy following a big leak over at 3DS Buzz.

As I don't know a thing about Kingdom Hearts, I'm afraid I can't comment much on the story itself; so my critique will be purely stylistic and grammatical.

I have to say, I've seen far, far worse "first fanfics" than this. When the story is this short, though, I think it's a good idea to try and stick with a single location, if you can (seeing what happens here, though, I know that wasn't really an option). The transition to the Black Pearl was more than a little sudden, and you should've at least put a little ••• or some other kind of distinct separator right above the line that starts with "Why have you brought us here [...]".

Now, mechanically speaking, I'd say your writing's above 90% of the Internet population; but you've got a problem with commas that comes up over and over again. I don't blame you, as commas are really tricky in and of themselves; but to put it short, you missed most of them in places where you have a "natural pause." For example, look at where I inserted a comma in the following line:

“Wah, Sora, this zis is no time to to be sleeping,” Donald yelped, whacking his staff into Sora’s back.

Another example:

“Mickey!” Sora said, running up to join them.

Commas also come before all conjunctions (words like and, but, and or). Example:

“HEY!” Sora exclaimed, but the ground gave way and he felt himself falling...

I don't have time to go point out every single comma you missed, but those three examples should give you a good idea of where to start. I'd highly recommend reading up well on proper comma usage, as it's one of the most difficult parts of the English language to grasp. I might write a tutorial on them sometime, but this will probably serve you just as well.

Things start getting tricky when you've got a compound sentence, though; that's when it's time to stick a semicolon between the two independent clauses, if not doing so leaves you with more than one comma (see what I did there? ;)). If you don't do this, you usually end up with a nasty run-on sentence - not a good idea, though it's possible to make stylistic exceptions to that from time to time, particularly in dialogue. I don't think you had any instances of this, but you did have a run-on sentence or two where a semicolon would've been appropriate. Like here:

Donald finally stopped as a figure appeared in the distance; as they got closer they realised it was a fox dressed in a green tunic. Mickey and Goofy were there and they seemed to be in deep conversation with the strange character.

I think you also had a few misspellings in there somewhere. Here's a sentence with both that and a comma problem, corrected:

The trees seemed to whisper as they walked pass past, as if they knew of the danger that was coming.

I'm afraid that's all I have time for right now, 'cause I've got some English homework for tomorrow (what a coincidence); but I'd be happy to help you more with your grammar later, either on this thread or through the chat, if you catch me online. :D

Hey, you asked me to be ruthless! :lol:

#3 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for your critique! I haven't signed for a few days now because my computer went all weird (showing everything on this forum centred) but it's alright now. I've bookmarked that comma page for future reference ;) . My philosophy teacher often complains that I don't use enough commas.

Semicolons are just something I've never been able to grasp. It was told to me many times but I will get it someday.

I've finished your whole story! It ended on quite the cliffhanger though XD. I actually found that I was liking Arcai more and more as the story progressed, he's like one of those characters you don't immediately like, (like Ash Ketchum) but grows on you as you read more and more.

I can't believe he ate all those melons, haha, I laughed so much at that. I could just imagine the other yoshi's face as he woofed them all down XD.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#4 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Ah, so I'm not the first to tell you about commas. Yeah, your philosophy teacher's right: you're not using them incorrectly; you just need to use more of them. ;)

As for semicolons, I found them a bit weird at first, too; but you'll get the grasp of them eventually.

Ooh, you finished my fic? It ends on a cliffhanger because I decided it wasn't up to par with my standards, and am planning to rewrite it. I did, however, write another 2 or 3 thousand words of the next chapter before I finalized that decision. Maybe I should post it...

#5 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

Ah, so I'm not the first to tell you about commas. Yeah, your philosophy teacher's right: you're not using them incorrectly; you just need to use more of them. ;)

As for semicolons, I found them a bit weird at first, too; but you'll get the grasp of them eventually.

Ooh, you finished my fic? It ends on a cliffhanger because I decided it wasn't up to par with my standards, and am planning to rewrite it. I did, however, write another 2 or 3 thousand words of the next chapter before I finalized that decision. Maybe I should post it...

You should definitely post it! (Warning: That advice is based on a selfish want to read more of the story), however if you're REALLY not happy with it I'd just go with the original idea which was to rewrite it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!