Why is there a Wii U price issue?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

i fully believe nintendo wil offer more than one sku(bundle) for Wii U when it launches. the majority of reports(rumors) suggest we are looking at a 300 dollar launch. it amazes me but it seems that price bothers people like its too much. there are people out there that really want this console to launch for 250. i just dont get those people. lets look at what this console offers consumers.
1. your favorite nintendo characters in glorious HD. the majority of us have a HD tv either 720p or 1080p. nintendo is moving into that age and im looking forward to seeing their great development and art style on my HD tv.

2. seriously you can play your favorite game on a gamepad while your wife is watching her favorite show. the best of both worlds. no lag play im not sure if the specs from the controller has been revealed. the majority of previews stated the picture is sharp and there is no let down on the graphics that can be shown on the gamepad.

3. (this hasnt been confirmed yet) but im assuming you will be able to download some of your favorite apps onto your console and can play them or view the on the gamepad.add this with video chat, and being able to control your tv with the gamepad.

4. 'THE POWER" lots of debate on this subject but you are buying a console that is more powerful than whats currently available on the market(no matter how the announced launch games have looked so far). next year we will start seeing games that have been built from the ground up to take advantage of the hardware. those games are going to look amazing.

5 "the unknown" Im sure nintendo has some things up their sleeves that they havent announced yet that this console and the gamepad are capable of. we will find out soon(late August sometime in September).

IMO this console represent a high end product and getting it at 300 would be a steal. people go out and pay 600 dollar ipads. this console can replicate most of what an ipad can do(internet, video chat, app downloading) plus playing your favorite video games. so my question is why are people stressing about the price?

Edited by TRON, 28 July 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#2 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

True.

But I don't like the conparison of wii u and iPad. Those are two totally different products.

The iPad are made for Internet browsing with 3G outside and I'm pretty sure it does everything but gaming better than wii u. Don't forget the app store.

28gxdv8.png

#3 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

I feel that people are bothered by the price due to the economy. This gen has extended itself so far that everyone is comfortable where they are at now. Ignorant people see the first quarter launch games as the WiiU graphical max, but fail to realize how atrocious launch titles looked on there favorite system. It takes a bit of time for developers to get used to new hardware and to use it to its fullest. They see it as on par with current gen so they need to have that current gen price, which has been price cut to death already. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I really see this launch window of games as one of the more solid launches for a console in awhile. Of course Nintendo fans will buy there product (and there are alot of us!), and once word of mouth goes around about how great it is, people will bite. IMO i feel 300 is the perfect price for the system. They were quoted as saying nintendoland will be there wii sports, so i most likely assume this will be a pack in.

Edited by Varg, 28 July 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#4 Naomi

Naomi

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Fandom:
    inFamous, Call of Duty, Mario

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

As far as I've heard and self speculated, Nintendo is trying to do it as LATE AS POSSIBLE because then Sony and Microsoft will announce a Price Drop. And should this happen, Nintendo needs to price it very reasonable to attract gamers this holiday season.
New opportunities with this site, I like it

"A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years." Story of my Lif3!

*Lick Partay*

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

If Wii U comes with Nintendo land and it is priced at 300 it has a good chance to sell.

2lvmghw.png

#6 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

im ok with everything
it is reasonable to want a console to stay at the $250 point but $300 can do if investors are cranky
also, ipads are ripoff's, so i dont know why you are comparing them
:laugh:

#7 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm not upset, and I don't why other people are when they look at a 300 dollar Wii U and not complain about a 400 dollar PS3.

#8 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have been in the App world for some time. Throughout my travels I have seen many people complain that $0.99 Apps are too expensive. People will complain at any price, just let it go.

Edited by Cerberuz, 28 July 2012 - 07:10 AM.

LordPickleton.png

#9 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

There is a lot of tension for the price. A few numbers could make a big difference in the success of this system. Seeing as I don't have a job yet, it could determine whether or not I could get one at launch or not. As far as the 3DS goes, a lot of people turned away at $250 (even thought I didn't think it was that bad of a price...) so it had to be dropped in order for it to make it successful.

I think $250 is definitely possible, considering how the price of somewhat dated tech has continued to drop considerably. This would also be the best choice for Nintendo if they want to really see consumers get after it. $299 would be alright for me and many other gamers, but if they go past that, it could get ugly.
Posted Image

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

There isn't really a price issue.

The Wii U contains some pretty impressive hardware.

Add the revolutionary gamepad to the mix and it's easy to see why the system will probably enter the market at $399.

The economy is different now.

People want a cheap console but they don't want the console to be "cheap."

If you can't afford $400 then stick with wii for now until you've saved some cash.

The console will be a bit more expensive for a Nintendo console. But for good reason. It has the goods wrapped up inside.

Instead of wanting something for nothing, just pay the price and enjoy the next generation.

Nintendo has already done well in keeping the price down @ $399. Theres quite a bit of work involved in that by itself.

#11 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

PS3 costed $800 at launch: overpriced and not as powerful as XBox, which launched for $500 or $600. Wii costed $300 at launch.
Now the Wii U will be more powerful than current gen, feature an original controller and social gaming. It will probably launch for around $300. Stick a bitten apple sticker and it would cost $1000. I am not in right to complain.
Posted Image

#12 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

if the economy collapses by launch, it wont sell. if it doesn't it should sell beautifully well because the lineup is arguably the best system launch lineup in history
Posted Image

#13 StarFoxWiiU1

StarFoxWiiU1

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

If the Wii U is packed in with Nintendoland it should be $350, if not, then $300 is the way to go. It's not all that expensive at all! But imagine if it could have read Blu-Ray's, DVD's, CD's, and if it had an internal hard drive. I think the price would've been $400 or over $400.

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Why do you need bluray when you have Netflix and Hulu.

#15 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

The Quality of Blu-Ray is better than Netflix, and also the same reason people like the Physical copy of games instead of the Digital, we like to collect movies. You don't have to rely on your Internet to watch Blu-Ray movies. I don't know if you care about this part, but I like seeing how they made the movie.

Edited by Cerberuz, 28 July 2012 - 01:48 PM.

LordPickleton.png

#16 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Some of us don't watch very many movies, so it would be more cost-effective to buy a physical copy every now and then than to pay a monthly subscription.

And all adding Blu-ray to Wii U would do is drive up the cost. I don't know why people freak out over it; it's not hard to buy a Blu-ray player.
Posted Image

#17 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

PS3 costed $800 at launch: overpriced and not as powerful as XBox, which launched for $500 or $600. Wii costed $300 at launch.
Now the Wii U will be more powerful than current gen, feature an original controller and social gaming. It will probably launch for around $300. Stick a bitten apple sticker and it would cost $1000. I am not in right to complain.

Um you are kind off wrong about ps3 being not as strong, The ps3 gpu is better than the xbox, but the xbox has more RAM.

People are like this because of the whole 3DS price situation. They are worried that Nintendo will overpriced it and later on reduce the price.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#18 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

The ps3 gpu is better than the xbox, but the xbox has more RAM.

Not entirely true... They both have 512MB total. PS3 has 256MB in system RAM and 256MB dedicated to the GPU. Xbox has 512MB that can be split between the System and GPU however the developer wants it for their specific game. Xbox doesn't have more, but it has better usage of it.
Posted Image

#19 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

People are like this because of the whole 3DS price situation. They are worried that Nintendo will overpriced it and later on reduce the price.

Well, look at it this way. When the 3DS's price dropped, we got 20 free games for our troubles. Good games at that. (Loving Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion)

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#20 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Um you are kind off wrong about ps3 being not as strong, The ps3 gpu is better than the xbox, but the xbox has more RAM.

Ya you are actually right but I was in fact talking about the architecture (sorry, it wasnt clear). XBox 360's architecture was better than PS3 so games were originally developed for the XBox 360 then ported to the other consoles.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!