• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Remember when we posted up this blurb about the Wii U back before E3?

AMD GPU7 R700-Based processor
“GX2″ named API for Wii U
32MB embedded DRAM capable of 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass

Check out this info that comes from the LinkedIn profile of Ubisoft's Rémi Génin...

I currently work on a multi-platform game engine (PC-DX9, WiiU-GX2) during the production of "The Raving Rabbids 6".
- Maintenance and optimization of the proprietary engine.
- Improvements on the soft shadows system (VSM, PCF, cascades).
- SSAO

That right there actually confirms the GX2 API from the rumored info. Does that mean the rest of those leaked specs were spot-on as well?

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=183683

theres a cpl of info sources that seem to reconfirm the VGleaks wiiu specs still no clock speeds tho

3mb cpu catch 32mb gpu EDram gx2 api and tri core powerpc cpu with graphics burst pipes buffers (NOT POWER 7)

#2 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

I don't understand tech talk, so is this good or bad?
  • RnR likes this

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#3 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I don't understand tech talk, so is this good or bad?

very good but exact details missing 32mb edram is over 3x x360 and 3mb catch cpu is 3x x360 and gx2 is a multi core version of wiis gx1

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

very good but exact details missing 32mb edram is over 3x x360 and 3mb catch cpu is 3x x360 and gx2 is a multi core version of wiis gx1

thanks, sounds powerful.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Could it run that new FF engine in full glory?
No sig.

#6 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Could it run that new FF engine in full glory?

apparently its scalable

#7 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

cpu seems next gen broadway also not power7

#8 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

cool, it sounds really powerful

Signature_Fox.png

#9 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Does that mean that the hype train is on nitrous speed?
Posted Image

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

Still not enough information to nail down where the wii u will be in performance but surely this is at the lower end of expectations. The cpu cache is 2 megabytes for the main core with the support cores being 1/2 megabyte each. Likely one core will be much more powerful than the others if you are giving it 4x as much cache memory. Having a single more powerful cpu core makes it much easier to develop for and you then throw lesser tasks to the support CPUs as required.

This to me looks like a console designed to integrate as much as possible into a low number of chips but with the benefit of huge memory bandwidth. I'm still going with my up to 2x performance of current gen but possibly at the same level as current gen or slightly below.

Recent comments from the developer of Sega All stars racing stated that the game would possibly look as good as the PS3 version or even slightly better. It still feels like wii u will be close to current gen performance.

However the proof of the pudding is in the eating and soon we will know what the wii u is capable of.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

tri core powerpc cpu with graphics burst pipes buffers (NOT POWER 7)

Might want to tell ibm its not power 7.

twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/78473693843562498

They seem to think it is.

Edited by 3Dude, 20 August 2012 - 07:57 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Might want to tell ibm its not power 7.

twitter.com/IBMWatson/status/78473693843562498

They seem to think it is.

/thread.

#13 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

This to me looks like a console designed to integrate as much as possible into a low number of chips but with the benefit of huge memory bandwidth. I'm still going with my up to 2x performance of current gen but possibly at the same level as current gen or slightly below.

The Wii U is NOT weaker or "on par" with the current generation of hardware. In order to run 2 gamepads at once, it would need a LOT of power. Plus, there is already plenty of evidence that the Wii U is more powerful. There have been plenty of developers that have stated that the Wii U has more power than the current gen. A few of those developers are Vigil Games, Crytek and Gearbox Software. I'll have to search up the others. Call me a graphics whore if you like, but I'm only stating what's obvious about the Wii U. It wouldn't make sense to make a console weaker than the current gen.

Posted Image

#14 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

yes lots of evidence like a custom gpu with 32mb of ibm edram that alone will be a huge leap forward im thinking power draw and i started at 40 watts or there abouts thats little more than wii and gc conbined about = to xbox 1

i thought can nintendo squeeze that in but now im thinking maybe 60 watts or there abouts the power brick is said to be 75watts thats good enough for a 60 watt console or there abouts

right custom gpu around 45 watts 3 powerpc cores 45nm around 5 watts then sound processor and maybe a ARM co cpu then wifi flash disc drive thats around 60 watts i have no idea how low a power 7 based design can go

but with a next gen broadway set up already existing in powerpc 400 series and the ibm edram as catch why not a next gen broadway everything points towards it but i keep thinking they may have made a new cpu from power 7 that acts as a 64 bit broadway maybe a 4 thread single core power 7 or 3 single thread power 7 cores

the rumors keep comming up with 3x powerpc core with graphics burst pipes and locked catch that sounds like 3x broadway 2 cores with edram as level 2 catch to me

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

The Wii U is NOT weaker or "on par" with the current generation of hardware. In order to run 2 gamepads at once, it would need a LOT of power. Plus, there is already plenty of evidence that the Wii U is more powerful. There have been plenty of developers that have stated that the Wii U has more power than the current gen. A few of those developers are Vigil Games, Crytek and Gearbox Software. I'll have to search up the others. Call me a graphics whore if you like, but I'm only stating what's obvious about the Wii U. It wouldn't make sense to make a console weaker than the current gen.

There is also reports that wii u performance is fairly low, close to or even below current gen. Clearly manufacturing cost relates to performance if you price a console to be cheap to make its performance will suffer. Nintendo are keeping information about the specification to themselves either because the specification is weak or perhaps they are going to make some big announcement just before launch. Sadly I feel they are keeping the spec to themselves is because its not particularly impressive. I do feel the wii u will be brilliant console with some great games to come I just feel its being costed very low.

#16 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

There is also reports that wii u performance is fairly low, close to or even below current gen. Clearly manufacturing cost relates to performance if you price a console to be cheap to make its performance will suffer. Nintendo are keeping information about the specification to themselves either because the specification is weak or perhaps they are going to make some big announcement just before launch. Sadly I feel they are keeping the spec to themselves is because its not particularly impressive. I do feel the wii u will be brilliant console with some great games to come I just feel its being costed very low.

I've seen more anonymous reports of it being weak than anything else. All the reports of it being more powerful than the current gen are from respected developers. I made a thread about it.

I say about 3-4x the current gen.

Posted Image

#17 FreakAlchemist

FreakAlchemist

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link Samus MegaMan KidBuu Vegeta

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

I wonder what "Not Enough Shaders" has to say about this?
Posted Image

3DS Friend code: 0602-6262-8935

just pm me if you want to friend me

#18 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

apparently its scalable

Close enough I suppose, as long as we get the games that make use of it.
No sig.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I wonder what "Not Enough Shaders" has to say about this?

Apparantly not much, since the whole "less than current" or "on par with current" hate has been laughed at behind closed game development studio doors around the world for a while now, with some knowledge of the system becoming more and more public.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!