• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

non of those links proves anything about a power7 cpu in any way shape or form outside your own wishful thinking the only cpu news we have is IBM STATED POWER 7 TECH they were refering to the IBM EDRAM

the only other rumor news info we have is the vgleaks FULL SPEC - CLOCKSPEEDS and the tekken guy NEVER EVER STATED SAID OR OTHER THE WORD WEAKso thios tread like so many others is pathetic chinesse wispers and fanboy wishful thinking

IT IS 3 SINGLE THREAD OUT OF ORDER CORES WITH 3MB LEVEL 2 CATCH 512K PER CORE X2 AND 1 CORE WITH 2MB it has out of order execution and graphics burst pipes = POWERPC 400 SERIES IMPROVED WITH BROADWAYS GAMECENTRIC NINTENDO SPEC

• PowerPC architecture.
  • Three cores (fully coherent).
  • 3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
  • core 0: 512 KB
  • core 1: 2048 KB
  • core 2: 512 KB
  • Write gatherer per core.
  • Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core.
as i lie in my bed bruce willis walks in i turn my head and wisper """"I SEE POWERPC BROADSWAY FAMILY X 3 CORES """"""!!!!!

If Core 1 isn't significantly more powerful than the other 2 cores why does it have 4x the cache? Can this 2meg of cache be shared with the other cores somehow? On face value you would expect Core 1 to be significantly more powerful. Its clear that without this increased cache the core 1 cpu would be accessing main memory too frequently and slowing the system down. Also the Power 7 is PowerPC architecture surely.

Personally I think we will have one super powerful main cpu core which will be fantastic for ease of development and the 2 other cores will be like the original wii and one will be used to run wii games. Seems like a sensible configuration to achieve full compatibility and good performance. Overall it might be a bit weaker in cpu terms to ps3 or possibly 360 but the ease of development could be a bonus and its possible the gpu being more advanced and can take some tasks away from the main cpu.

Still got my fingers crossed for system of about 2x current gen performance which I'm more than happy with, although I feel some of the performance gain will be invisible on face value because it will be in its very high memory bandwidth and low latency which are the benefits of using more up to date components.

#22 Ravyu

Ravyu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Batman, Link and NINTENDO

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

If its Power7, than we've got a VERY POWERFUL CPU in our hands!

Oh, and the Tekken Producer said that it was clocked Slightly under thew PS3 and Xbox 360. Reason being so is because the Power archetecture is designed for Servers. And while Power Servers tend to Have Clock Speeds EXTREMELY FASTER than other companies however Nintendo has to keep it lower to avoid producing a $20,000 Machine!

Lastly, i can see that ur new, Welcome to the Forums!

Ahh! I'm a bit confused (how much can a 12 year old take?) But thanks for your warm welcome!

Yeah, the tekken dude never said it was weak, that was sensationalism made up by the media.

He rebuked them on his twitter feed, saying they put in words he did not say, took it out of context, and twisted it to fit their agenda.

All he said was it was clocked slightly lower, and proceeded to explain in laymens terms the difference between programming for an in order cpu, and an out of order cpu.

Thanks! I needed a little bit more info than the other guy cos I couldn't make up anything from him. It makes more sense >.<
A rare 12 Year Old that thinks Nintendo is godly.
PC Specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUYw

#23 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Ahh! I'm a bit confused (how much can a 12 year old take?) But thanks for your warm welcome!

Thanks! I needed a little bit more info than the other guy cos I couldn't make up anything from him. It makes more sense >.<

Its actually very simple with a little bit of debunking.

Typical Processors (Desktop or Notebook; Notebook-Desktop Hybrid Processors used in 7th gen to keep size down) are meant to clock at the fastest speed to handle less tasks than a server processor would need to with less cores.

A Server Processor typically has more cores (Sometimes a lot of Cores), and because it has so many, the clock speed can be lowered because there is already so much hardware working on the task.

Kind of confusing still, but hopefully you got the gist of it.

Think of it like
Cores = Workers
Clock Speed = Performance

Less Workers with Better Performance = Desktop / Notebook Processor
More workers with Lower Performance = Server Processor

Server Processors handle multitasking, and system performance and stability better though because they have more cores, and are not being "Over-Clocked."

The Power 7 Architecture typically has 4 to 256 Cores, and its a Server Processor, which has to handle a LOT of Tasks and keep the performance and stability ok.

Should the Wii U have a Power7 Architecture instead of PowerPC, would mean a HUGE leap in performance and it would be able to handle multi-tasking, etc. with a BREEZE. HOWEVER, they cost ALOT even with 4 Cores, so i can imagine PowerPC being the sweet spot.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#24 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

If its Power7, than we've got a VERY POWERFUL CPU in our hands!

Oh, and the Tekken Producer said that it was clocked Slightly under thew PS3 and Xbox 360. Reason being so is because the Power archetecture is designed for Servers. And while Power Servers tend to Have Clock Speeds EXTREMELY FASTER than other companies however Nintendo has to keep it lower to avoid producing a $20,000 Machine!

Lastly, i can see that ur new, Welcome to the Forums!

Call me wrong on this one. But I think server processors tend to have slow clock frequencies.

28gxdv8.png

#25 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Call me wrong on this one. But I think server processors tend to have slow clock frequencies.

No you correct, in most Server Processors have slower clock frequencies (ie Intel, AMD, etc.) however the POWER models are meant to handle genuinely LARGER tasks, so their clock speeds are higher. Typical Server Processors have about 2.0 GHz to 2.8 GHz. However, IBM designs it more powerful, so they are typically 3.0 Ghz to 5.2 GHz, which is EXTREMELY GOOD for a Server. However considering the Wii U has to handle new Multiplayer networking, Multi-Tasking, etc., a POWER7 model can handle this with ease compared to the tasks that it was designed to perform
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#26 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Wait the only reason you aren't happy wii u has a power 7 cpu is because you juat found out the news is a year old?

Okay.

Things can change after a year.

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Its actually very simple with a little bit of debunking.

Typical Processors (Desktop or Notebook; Notebook-Desktop Hybrid Processors used in 7th gen to keep size down) are meant to clock at the fastest speed to handle less tasks than a server processor would need to with less cores.

A Server Processor typically has more cores (Sometimes a lot of Cores), and because it has so many, the clock speed can be lowered because there is already so much hardware working on the task.

Kind of confusing still, but hopefully you got the gist of it.

Think of it like
Cores = Workers
Clock Speed = Performance

Less Workers with Better Performance = Desktop / Notebook Processor
More workers with Lower Performance = Server Processor

Server Processors handle multitasking, and system performance and stability better though because they have more cores, and are not being "Over-Clocked."

The Power 7 Architecture typically has 4 to 256 Cores, and its a Server Processor, which has to handle a LOT of Tasks and keep the performance and stability ok.

Should the Wii U have a Power7 Architecture instead of PowerPC, would mean a HUGE leap in performance and it would be able to handle multi-tasking, etc. with a BREEZE. HOWEVER, they cost ALOT even with 4 Cores, so i can imagine PowerPC being the sweet spot.

Do people not understand power pc is dead?

Power 7 servers are 'expensive' though ibm actually uses its very affordable price for a high end server as an advertising bullet. Starting at $6,500 bucks, with some financing you could have a power 7 750 express for under 200 bucks a month, for about 36 months.

Not the power 7 processor itself. Its much, MUCH cheaper. Definately affordable.

However, power 7 is a SERIOUS departure in architecture for ibm.

The micro architecture was completely redesigned to take advantadge of the new edram technology, the entire core architecture has been repipelined from a high clock speed design to a power/performance focused design.

That means that the power 7 no longer falls into the same category of server processors.... It doesn't just get its power from more cores.

EACH CORE IN THE POWER 7 NETS OVER 2X GENERAL PERFORMANCE GAINS THAN A POWER 6 CORE CLOCKED A GHZ HIGHER.

It also uses less power, and makes less heat, and uses less memory (saves cost per core).

The entire architecture is made possible because of the new edram technology.

This is why its so easy to tell these rumours of tri core power pc with 3mb anonymous cache (some sources say its l2, which makes it more wrong, yet they say it uses power 7's ram technology, pointing to the 3mb as being what ibm mesnt by 'a lot of edram'.

Anyone who's even taken a glance at p7 wpuld be laughing their arse off at this point.

IBM increased the performance using their edram technology by REDUCING cache sizes.

Power 7's l1 cache is half the size of p6's at 32 kb. Since its the new embedded dram technology, bussed 8 ways, and acts like 6transistor sram (you thought mosys 1tsram was fast? this is 6t). And ibm was abble to lower the latency thanks to the reduced size to......

ZERO POINT FIVE NANO SECONDS.

That puts the memory bandwidth of power 7's 32kb of ram at 192 GB/s. at a core speed of 4GHz

Power 6s 64kb of edram has a latency of 0.8 ns.

So what would average person think would make a bigger difference? twice the ram, or 0.3ns less latency. The average person would always say double the ram.

But the p6 64kb l1 cache only gets 80GB/s.

I keep telling people, ram performance ain't about capacity.

What about l2? This is the one people claim is 3mb total. That is so wrong. That's as wrong as chocolate cheese.

P7 REDUCED its l2 cache by 16x!!!!

P7 has a 256kb l2 cache. Power 6 has a 4MB l2 cache.

This enables p7 to reduce latency to 2 ns for its l2 cache.

P6 has 5 ns latency. The results?

p7's 256kb l2 cache has a 256GB/s bandwidth per core at 4GHz..... While p6's 4MB l2 cache only gets a 160GB/s bandwidth at 5GHz.

Power and performance is not about more ram, and its not about clock speed.

Now, anyone who has been following these rumours should have one thing on their nind right now.

Hey 3dude, ibm said the wii u would use the same technology as power 7, they SPECIFICALLY said, and I quote 'lots of edram'.

At 4 cores, all those caches combined barely make a single MB. That's NOT 'lots of edram'.

You are absolutely correct. Although the performance is fantastic (and linearly scalable to clock speed) 1MB is most certainly NOT a lot of edram.

How about 32MB edram embedded on the actual die? Yeah, that's the ticket.

The final huge change Ibm made with memory architecture is that l3 cache is no longer put on a seperate chip placed next to the cpu.

Its been EMBEDDED ON THE DIE ITSELF SMACK DAB THE MIDDLE OF THE DIE RIGHT BETWEEN THE CORES.

So what does that do for performance?

Well p6 ALSO has a 32MB cache.... Lets compare.

P7 is set up so each core has up to 4MB l3 directly adjacent to it. Now, all cores CAN share the entirety of the pool. So, a single socket of p7 has 8 cores, with 4Mb l3 per core at 8 cores, for a total of 32MB.

That enabled Ibm to get latency down to 30ns for its l3 cache.

P6 had its l3 cache on a seperate chip. 32MB on it. This gave p6 a l3 latency of 35ns. How much of a difference did that 5ns make?

P6 gets 80GB/s for its l3 cache, shared between 2 cores, at 5GHz.

P7. l3 cache gets FIVE HUNDRED AND TWELVE GB/s shared by 8 cores at 4GHz.

Of course, if you only have 4 cores, that's 16MB for a bandwidth of 203 GB/s.

Power7's edram technology IS power 7. They are one and the same. You can't just use power 7's edram technology and NOT have a p7 architecture.

Wii u HAS power7, NOT power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at a lower clock speed than power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at lower temperatures than power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at less power draw than power pc.

Plus, power pc is dead as a frontline processor. Died in 2005/2006 when Ibm lost the power mac contract.

Power 7 IS in wii u, its been confirmed, explicitely word for word by official ibm news feed.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 FreakAlchemist

FreakAlchemist

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link Samus MegaMan KidBuu Vegeta

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Do people not understand power pc is dead?

Power 7 servers are 'expensive' though ibm actually uses its very affordable price for a high end server as an advertising bullet. Starting at $6,500 bucks, with some financing you could have a power 7 750 express for under 200 bucks a month, for about 36 months.

Not the power 7 processor itself. Its much, MUCH cheaper. Definately affordable.

However, power 7 is a SERIOUS departure in architecture for ibm.

The micro architecture was completely redesigned to take advantadge of the new edram technology, the entire core architecture has been repipelined from a high clock speed design to a power/performance focused design.

That means that the power 7 no longer falls into the same category of server processors.... It doesn't just get its power from more cores.

EACH CORE IN THE POWER 7 NETS OVER 2X GENERAL PERFORMANCE GAINS THAN A POWER 6 CORE CLOCKED A GHZ HIGHER.

It also uses less power, and makes less heat, and uses less memory (saves cost per core).

The entire architecture is made possible because of the new edram technology.

This is why its so easy to tell these rumours of tri core power pc with 3mb anonymous cache (some sources say its l2, which makes it more wrong, yet they say it uses power 7's ram technology, pointing to the 3mb as being what ibm mesnt by 'a lot of edram'.

Anyone who's even taken a glance at p7 wpuld be laughing their arse off at this point.

IBM increased the performance using their edram technology by REDUCING cache sizes.

Power 7's l1 cache is half the size of p6's at 32 kb. Since its the new embedded dram technology, bussed 8 ways, and acts like 6transistor sram (you thought mosys 1tsram was fast? this is 6t). And ibm was abble to lower the latency thanks to the reduced size to......

ZERO POINT FIVE NANO SECONDS.

That puts the memory bandwidth of power 7's 32kb of ram at 192 GB/s. at a core speed of 4GHz

Power 6s 64kb of edram has a latency of 0.8 ns.

So what would average person think would make a bigger difference? twice the ram, or 0.3ns less latency. The average person would always say double the ram.

But the p6 64kb l1 cache only gets 80GB/s.

I keep telling people, ram performance ain't about capacity.

What about l2? This is the one people claim is 3mb total. That is so wrong. That's as wrong as chocolate cheese.

P7 REDUCED its l2 cache by 16x!!!!

P7 has a 256kb l2 cache. Power 6 has a 4MB l2 cache.

This enables p7 to reduce latency to 2 ns for its l2 cache.

P6 has 5 ns latency. The results?

p7's 256kb l2 cache has a 256GB/s bandwidth per core at 4GHz..... While p6's 4MB l2 cache only gets a 160GB/s bandwidth at 5GHz.

Power and performance is not about more ram, and its not about clock speed.

Now, anyone who has been following these rumours should have one thing on their nind right now.

Hey 3dude, ibm said the wii u would use the same technology as power 7, they SPECIFICALLY said, and I quote 'lots of edram'.

At 4 cores, all those caches combined barely make a single MB. That's NOT 'lots of edram'.

You are absolutely correct. Although the performance is fantastic (and linearly scalable to clock speed) 1MB is most certainly NOT a lot of edram.

How about 32MB edram embedded on the actual die? Yeah, that's the ticket.

The final huge change Ibm made with memory architecture is that l3 cache is no longer put on a seperate chip placed next to the cpu.

Its been EMBEDDED ON THE DIE ITSELF SMACK DAB THE MIDDLE OF THE DIE RIGHT BETWEEN THE CORES.

So what does that do for performance?

Well p6 ALSO has a 32MB cache.... Lets compare.

P7 is set up so each core has up to 4MB l3 directly adjacent to it. Now, all cores CAN share the entirety of the pool. So, a single socket of p7 has 8 cores, with 4Mb l3 per core at 8 cores, for a total of 32MB.

That enabled Ibm to get latency down to 30ns for its l3 cache.

P6 had its l3 cache on a seperate chip. 32MB on it. This gave p6 a l3 latency of 35ns. How much of a difference did that 5ns make?

P6 gets 80GB/s for its l3 cache, shared between 2 cores, at 5GHz.

P7. l3 cache gets FIVE HUNDRED AND TWELVE GB/s shared by 8 cores at 4GHz.

Of course, if you only have 4 cores, that's 16MB for a bandwidth of 203 GB/s.

Power7's edram technology IS power 7. They are one and the same. You can't just use power 7's edram technology and NOT have a p7 architecture.

Wii u HAS power7, NOT power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at a lower clock speed than power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at lower temperatures than power pc.

Power 7 gets better performance at less power draw than power pc.

Plus, power pc is dead as a frontline processor. Died in 2005/2006 when Ibm lost the power mac contract.

Power 7 IS in wii u, its been confirmed, explicitely word for word by official ibm news feed.

Wow...
Just simply WOW.If anyone has ever earned thanks it would be you.Cheers Posted Image
Posted Image

3DS Friend code: 0602-6262-8935

just pm me if you want to friend me

#29 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Anyone willing to make a guess on mhz? I'm not expecting it to be 3ghz or more, I think its more likely 2.8ghz or less, maybe 2.4ghz.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Anyone willing to make a guess on mhz? I'm not expecting it to be 3ghz or more, I think its more likely 2.8ghz or less, maybe 2.4ghz.

Well, Tekken producer says its slightly lower than ps3/360.

Which makes sense since power 7 in general took a general GHz decrease in clock speed over its predecessor.

so your 3GHz or slightly less seems like a pretty good bet to me.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm thinking 3ghz on the dot.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 August 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#32 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

If Core 1 isn't significantly more powerful than the other 2 cores why does it have 4x the cache? Can this 2meg of cache be shared with the other cores somehow? On face value you would expect Core 1 to be significantly more powerful. Its clear that without this increased cache the core 1 cpu would be accessing main memory too frequently and slowing the system down. Also the Power 7 is PowerPC architecture surely.

Personally I think we will have one super powerful main cpu core which will be fantastic for ease of development and the 2 other cores will be like the original wii and one will be used to run wii games. Seems like a sensible configuration to achieve full compatibility and good performance. Overall it might be a bit weaker in cpu terms to ps3 or possibly 360 but the ease of development could be a bonus and its possible the gpu being more advanced and can take some tasks away from the main cpu.

Still got my fingers crossed for system of about 2x current gen performance which I'm more than happy with, although I feel some of the performance gain will be invisible on face value because it will be in its very high memory bandwidth and low latency which are the benefits of using more up to date components.

turbo core theres your answer you can have a dual core system then this mighty turbo core im wondering is the EDRAM only the 2mb to a single core and 2x 512k sram to the other 2 or is it a 3mb chunk of edram and shared between cores i need to know this its bugging me

by the way physical area edram at 3mb = 1mb sram and edram (ibm) on average is 2x bandwidth of sram this is a world first if its level 2 edram catch in a consumer product

1 main core then 2 sub core slve cores is a possiblity but im guessing its 3 identical cores and one has a turbo core mode with big azzed catch EDRAM 3x powerpc nintendoised cores custom edram catch a dsp and a arm thats my pennys worth

Well, Tekken producer says its slightly lower than ps3/360.

Which makes sense since power 7 in general took a general GHz decrease in clock speed over its predecessor.

so your 3GHz or slightly less seems like a pretty good bet to me.

the word slighty was not used thats fanboys ading that word in as is weak added in by nintendo haters example fanboys are saying slightly HE NEVER SAID THAT and anti nintendo haters are saying WEAK he at no point said ether WEAK or SLIGHTLY there be chineese wispers in d internet

he said the clock speed was KINDA LOW he at no point ever said WEAK or SLIGHTLY im getting a bit pee'd off with the whole il ad my own bit on nonsense its like a rumor in a highschool for gods sake

THE TEKKEN GUY SAID THE CLOCK SPEED WAS LOW (NO WEAK NO SLIGHTLY THERE PLEASE STOP MAKING THINGS UP) it reminds me of the wii lie iwata said graphics dont matter he never said that he said GRAPHICS ALONE NO LONGER ENOUGH why do people lie....

tekken guy clearly talking of a speed between 1.6ghz and 2.0ghz THE SPEEDS OF POWERPC 400 series

im guessing 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz based on powerpc 400 clockspeeds but this family could go to say 2.4 or 2.8ghz HELL EVEN a power 6 with 2mb catch at 3.2ghz and 2 powerpc 400s broadwayfied at 1.6ghz but leak says coherent so im guessing its one set clock speed for all cores and catch witch again brings me back to powerpc 400 as 750 range kinda doesnt exist anymore it stopped at 90nm all powerpc 32bit customers now use powerpc 400 instead

my brain keeps saying clock balanced so a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 balance is in mind as gc was originally planed as 2to1 but fsb speed stopped all that so nintendo up clocked the cpu and down clocked the gpu it ended 3to1 still very tight but a whole system at 1to1 is best 3DS IS RUMORED TO BE 1TO1 all cpu and gpu and ram also or double clocked to 2to1

gamecube was 3to1 and wii i think wiiu will be 3to1 or 2to1 just a guess and that says to me 800mhz gpu and 1.6ghz cpu and a 800mhz bus 128bit edram likely running 512bit

Edited by thehappening, 22 August 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

turbo core theres your answer you can have a dual core system then this mighty turbo core im wondering is the EDRAM only the 2mb to a single core and 2x 512k sram to the other 2 or is it a 3mb chunk of edram and shared between cores i need to know this its bugging me

by the way physical area edram at 3mb = 1mb sram and edram (ibm) on average is 2x bandwidth of sram this is a world first if its level 2 edram catch in a consumer product

1 main core then 2 sub core slve cores is a possiblity but im guessing its 3 identical cores and one has a turbo core mode with big azzed catch EDRAM 3x powerpc nintendoised cores custom edram catch a dsp and a arm thats my pennys worth

the word slighty was not used thats fanboys ading that word in as is weak added in by nintendo haters example fanboys are saying slightly HE NEVER SAID THAT and anti nintendo haters are saying WEAK he at no point said ether WEAK or SLIGHTLY there be chineese wispers in d internet

he said the clock speed was KINDA LOW he at no point ever said WEAK or SLIGHTLY im getting a bit pee'd off with the whole il ad my own bit on nonsense its like a rumor in a highschool for gods sake

THE TEKKEN GUY SAID THE CLOCK SPEED WAS LOW (NO WEAK NO SLIGHTLY THERE PLEASE STOP MAKING THINGS UP) it reminds me of the wii lie iwata said graphics dont matter he never said that he said GRAPHICS ALONE NO LONGER ENOUGH why do people lie....

tekken guy clearly talking of a speed between 1.6ghz and 2.0ghz THE SPEEDS OF POWERPC 400 series

im guessing 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz based on powerpc 400 clockspeeds but this family could go to say 2.4 or 2.8ghz HELL EVEN a power 6 with 2mb catch at 3.2ghz and 2 powerpc 400s broadwayfied at 1.6ghz but leak says coherent so im guessing its one set clock speed for all cores and catch witch again brings me back to powerpc 400 as 750 range kinda doesnt exist anymore it stopped at 90nm all powerpc 32bit customers now use powerpc 400 instead

my brain keeps saying clock balanced so a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 balance is in mind as gc was originally planed as 2to1 but fsb speed stopped all that so nintendo up clocked the cpu and down clocked the gpu it ended 3to1 still very tight but a whole system at 1to1 is best 3DS IS RUMORED TO BE 1TO1 all cpu and gpu and ram also or double clocked to 2to1

gamecube was 3to1 and wii i think wiiu will be 3to1 or 2to1 just a guess and that says to me 800mhz gpu and 1.6ghz cpu and a 800mhz bus 128bit edram likely running 512bit

slightly - definition of slightly by the Free Online Dictionary ...

slight·ly (sl t l ). adv. 1. To a small degree or extent; somewhat.

That means the wii u clock speed is a little less than 3.2GHz.

That also means your asinine assumption of a garbage power pc line clocked at 1.6GHz is TOO slow.

If that was true he would have said the cpu was clocked a LOT lower. Like, half the speed.

Turbo core is an exclusive feature of the power 7's new architecture.

the ppc 400 line can't do it.

Good God kid.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

im pretty sure a dev themselves said the processor is made for streaming two device screens

Which is what I am saying, so are you trying to agree with me?

Nintendo chose power 7 because ibm's mission statement was to increase performance while lowering clock speed, lowering power draw, cost, and maintaining the same thermal envelope as previous gen power chips.

And one of the major changes they made, that the entire architecture relies on, was shrinking l1 and l2 cache sizes, (p7 l1 is half of p6 l1 at 32 kb, and p7 l2 cache size is an eigth of p6's at 256 kb vs 2MB) while lowering latency, which shot memory bandwidth through the roof (I'm always trying to tell people, ram performance just isn't about capacity.)

Which just make these goofy 'leaks' where people claim its power 7 based, but have these gigantic clunky power 7 core philosophy breaking l2 cache sizes of .5MB and 2MB.

Nintendo wants a custom p7 sure. But not a crappified one. IBM doubled and quadroupled gb/s throughput, with a fraction of the memory, (and thus a fraction of the price for that memory), at a ghz lower clockspeed.

That's cheaper faster stronger. Nintendo WONT be making a custom chip that gets rid of that.

I'm not saying they want a crippled Power7 ...
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#35 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

yah i was agreeing 100%

Signature_Fox.png

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Huh? Oh. I see, I did go out on a tangent there. Sorry.

Only the first paragraph was really directed at you. The rest sorta shot off into the ether.

Power 7 is used as a server chip, yes.

But it is vastly different than the p5 and p6 before it. It doesn't rely on high clock speeds for its increase in power. It doesn't even really rely on concurrency (multicore) for its real increase in power, despite the standard configuraton having 4x more cores than p6.

It relys on improvements in cache.... Which is one of the few areas left after the near complete collapse of moores law that we can still get some goods from. (If moores law was still in full effect wed have 20GHz processors by now...)

Because of this, power 7 isn't a specialized processor... Good at a specific job but impotent at any other. Its a fantastic general purpose processor, with fantastic scalability.... because its main boost in power doesn't come from the clock speed, or the number of cores.

That's why Nintendo wanted it, because it can fit into an attractive form factor, and if it has to have its clock speed reduced a bit for the thermal envelope, it doesn't bleed performance like a stuck pig. Its not just good at streaming... its pretty dang good at anything you throw at it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

power6 came with 2mb catch i think per core older powerpc 32bits were maxed out at 1mb level 2 catch but that proves nothing and this wiiu cpu seems to be edram based catch first of its kind level 2 so im still going with tri core powerpc400 or maybe a power core and 2 powerpc 400 cores but thats strange....

3 x powerpc at say 1.6ghz with a huge bandwidth custom catch would be about 15 x the broadway cpu,maybe a single thread 64bit power 7 x 3 cores theres no way in hell wiiu has 12 threads thats horse kcrap

Huh? Oh. I see, I did go out on a tangent there. Sorry.

Only the first paragraph was really directed at you. The rest sorta shot off into the ether.

Power 7 is used as a server chip, yes.

But it is vastly different than the p5 and p6 before it. It doesn't rely on high clock speeds for its increase in power. It doesn't even really rely on concurrency (multicore) for its real increase in power, despite the standard configuraton having 4x more cores than p6.

It relys on improvements in cache.... Which is one of the few areas left after the near complete collapse of moores law that we can still get some goods from. (If moores law was still in full effect wed have 20GHz processors by now...)

Because of this, power 7 isn't a specialized processor... Good at a specific job but impotent at any other. Its a fantastic general purpose processor, with fantastic scalability.... because its main boost in power doesn't come from the clock speed, or the number of cores.

That's why Nintendo wanted it, because it can fit into an attractive form factor, and if it has to have its clock speed reduced a bit for the thermal envelope, it doesn't bleed performance like a stuck pig. Its not just good at streaming... its pretty dang good at anything you throw at it.

IT RELYS ON IMPROVING ITS CATCH"" IT SAYS"" THATS EXACTLY WHAT THERE DOING EDRAM LEVEL 2 CATCH CUSTOM TO A POWERPC 400 X 3 CORES YOUR OWN POST EXPLAINS WHAT U WONT LISTEN TO AND TAKE AS FACT theres a word for that let me think oh there it is HYPERCRITE

powerpc 400 broadway instructions and upgrades and a custom edram catch = ubisoft said 18 months ago like the wii but now multi core and gx 2 is wiis code but now multicore

Edited by thehappening, 25 August 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#38 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

This is stone age news. I can't believe this thread isn't locked. You had me jumping for joy until you said this news is a year old.

https://twitter.com/...241146213842944

Better?

Folks, its a custom power 7. No ifs ands or butts about it.

Edited by 3Dude, 28 August 2012 - 08:08 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#39 JD2995

JD2995

Blooper

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Why the people don't understand the CPU is a custom power 7? No rumor, no speculation, this is a confirmation from the official IBM twitter.
Posted Image
Sorry for my bad english

#40 iShuys

iShuys

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Good MorbidGod kid. :laugh:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBM, Power7, CPU, Conifrm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users