• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

Iwata feels that gaming is now in an era “where even a single-player game experience can have a social component”. For Miiverse, Nintendo wants to have “a gaming platform as the place to create that ‘social graph’ for folks who are in gaming circles”. He also hopes it’ll allow those who are playing alone to not actually feel like they’re playing by themselves.

There’s lots of commentary below from Iwata concerning social gaming and Miiverse – be sure to check it out.

Iwata on the need for a social component in single-player experiences…

“We have reached an era where even a single-player game experience [can] have a social component that is very important. And I think, again, that social component is mandatory.

“Early on, when I played a Mario game, it was really fun for me to sit and chat with my friends about, ‘Hey I found coins over here, there’s a hidden place.’ [or] ‘This is how far I got.’ That interaction was great. It was really a lot of fun, and I think you’ll agree that [it was also great] to help your friends in playing a Zelda game by saying, ‘Hey, this is how you get past this boss or solve this puzzle.’ Of course the Internet does provide a lot of that interaction, but it’s not built for that purpose. For example, Facebook is something that connects you socially with a lot of different folks, but that doesn’t guarantee that the people you are going to have interactions with via Facebook are interested in games. And what I’m saying is that I don’t believe that the life experiences that you have—and those might be with the people you are connected with on Facebook—are not equal to the gaming experiences you might have with a lot of different folks.”

Iwata on Nintendo’s ambitions for Miiverse…

“I feel that we need to create—or present—a gaming platform as the place to create that ‘social graph’ for folks who are in gaming circles, I guess. So that’s kind of the reason for creating Miiverse.”

“When we looked at the timing of how we are going to be implementing it, [we said], ‘Okay, when are the best points when people want to have social interactions and makes them want to reach out and say, “Me too,” “I did that,” “I feel the same way,”?’ I think, on a very human level, that is what will give them a sense of satisfaction.

“If you look at gaming services, for example if you look at Xbox Live, one of the more traditionally or generally accepted features of the gaming service is the ability to play with folks at different locations at the same time. On the other hand, you’re not always going to be available at the same time to play with each other. And of course we’re going to have that service of head-to-head [multiplayer, when you are] on at the same time playing games against each other, but what we really want to do is create a place where folks who are playing by themselves will not feel like they are playing by themselves. They’ll be able to share those experiences and have that empathy that we mentioned earlier.”

Iwata noting that online service announcements will be made in the future…

“We will be making announcements as we are talking more about specific software and we’ll ask you to wait for those announcements of how we are implementing it with those software titles,”

Source
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#2 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

POPULAR

Wow, did Nintendo hit puberty or something?? This sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait To get a wii u!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#3 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

That sounds very promising. I hope it lives up to my expectations. I don't expect anyone I know to have a wii u, so other than local multiplayer, I'll be depending on miiverse.
Posted Imageby cerberuz

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Wow, did Nintendo hit puberty or something?? This sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait To get a wii u!

This is the immediate result of a certain gamer hating tyrants poisonous claws finally being completely removed from nintendo.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

This is the immediate result of a certain gamer hating tyrants poisonous claws finally being completely removed from nintendo.

???? Who is that???

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Excellent! I just get more excited for the Wii U launch! I like how it makes a single player experience feel connected with other people without being intrusive and annoying.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#7 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

i good exampleof this is the new mario game at launch. the miiverse will work when ur playing alone which is cool, i just hope they add some online gamemodes and coop to the game too.

Signature_Fox.png

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

I like how it makes a single player experience feel connected with other people without being intrusive and annoying.

You say that now until you actually start playing it and Nintendo starts making random friend suggestion pop ups every 10 seconds while your in the middle of playing your game

#9 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Iwata is the only Nintendo executive that actually understands what the western VG market likes.

#10 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

I like Miiverse very much. I feel with NSMB2 its like damn how did people get past this level. So it would be nice to warn people if the level is hard or not ect.

2lvmghw.png

#11 iShuys

iShuys

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Everything about the Wii U is going to be very exciting. We all will be experiencing those brilliant games, software, making new 'online' friends, It's going to be great. 2006 is just too old now. Bring on the excitement of the Wii U throughout 2013! :D

#12 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Everything about the Wii U is going to be very exciting. We all will be experiencing those brilliant games, software, making new 'online' friends, It's going to be great. 2006 is just too old now. Bring on the excitement of the Wii U throughout 2013! :D

hopefully it has exciting software And stuff for more than a year. I hope it's good up through 2016 at least. But yes it is exciting, and 2006 seemed old in 2008 so hopefully this will be exciting longer :)

#13 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

As little as we know about Miiverse it is still cool to hear some of these features. If this online system works, it will probably one of the most revolutionary online systems ever introduced. (Yes it has the possibility to beat Xbox Live, if it can deliver on the potential that it holds.)

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#14 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

As little as we know about Miiverse it is still cool to hear some of these features. If this online system works, it will probably one of the most revolutionary online systems ever introduced. (Yes it has the possibility to beat Xbox Live, if it can deliver on the potential that it holds.)

I never understood the greatness of xbox live. It was revolutionary for its time. But I don't want to pay for online. And I get broken connections every other game (that could be my crappy Internet though)

#15 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

I never understood the greatness of xbox live. It was revolutionary for its time. But I don't want to pay for online. And I get broken connections every other game (that could be my crappy Internet though)

I wasn't saying that Xbox Live is a good system by today's standards, but it was a huge revolution in terms of online play.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#16 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Iwata-san is truly taking video games up to the next level-- a combination of video gaming and social networking. Lo and behold, Miiverse was born. Meeting new friends from around the country and the world sharing information, giving out tips, gossiping, etc. This would be an awesome and U-nique experience. Imagine if Mario dies and a message pops up for you with some advice on how to beat the boss. Let's not forget about video chat using the Game Pad to communicate each other in real-time.

The Wii U isn't the best of both worlds... but instead, it's the best of all three worlds-- Gaming, Social, Entertainment.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!