Can nintendo pull of the gamecube2... with better 3rd party support?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I sure hope not. I owned a gamecube day 1 and only ended up getting about 5 games because there was nothing for adults.

The GameCube had amazing games. For me anyway.

#22 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

No. It was on Xbox. And it was an example of where the Xbox was inferior in fur shading compared to SF Adventures on GCN.

Sorry if that confused you.

Ah, Star Fox vs Conker, got you now.

#23 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

I sure hope not. I owned a gamecube day 1 and only ended up getting about 5 games because there was nothing for adults.

This is why the GCN failed. Not due to power. Nintendo thought they created the killer console. And they did. but then they dumped on third parties with their treatment and with the industrial "design" of the system. it was nasty looking. And it had a handle... Looked like Barney the Dinosaurs lunch pale.

But I think the OP is referring to power and how it will relate to its competitors.

In that case, the Wii U will likely be the PS2 of the 3.

#24 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

The thing that Nintendo has to understand is that third-party doesnt come by themselves. Especially not with exclusive content.
Microsoft got most of their exclusive games (and even some of the multiplatform-games) because they paid for them. Sony did the same thing during the Playstation 2 era. The video-game industry is a business and one have to treat it as one. I understand why Nintendo aint as interested in this since their own first-party games sell so well, but still, i would really like to see more third-party and especially exclusive content on their platforms.

#25 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

The thing that Nintendo has to understand is that third-party doesnt come by themselves. Especially not with exclusive content.
Microsoft got most of their exclusive games (and even some of the multiplatform-games) because they paid for them. Sony did the same thing during the Playstation 2 era. The video-game industry is a business and one have to treat it as one. I understand why Nintendo aint as interested in this since their own first-party games sell so well, but still, i would really like to see more third-party and especially exclusive content on their platforms.

Well getting monster hunter exclusive in japan and bayonettea2 exclusive also is a hell of a start. i believe nintendo is in attack mode right now. they are about to put lots of pressure on the other 2. a nintendo home console plus 3rd party support with the stellar first party titles we know are coming will be too much to overcome.

#26 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Well getting monster hunter exclusive in japan and bayonettea2 exclusive also is a hell of a start. i believe nintendo is in attack mode right now. they are about to put lots of pressure on the other 2. a nintendo home console plus 3rd party support with the stellar first party titles we know are coming will be too much to overcome.

Those are great examples of Nintendo getting more involved with third-party, as well as Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge. Third-party productions where they step in and say "Hey, we are willing to finance this if you are putting this on our platform".
Hopefully they will keep on going with this.

#27 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Those are great examples of Nintendo getting more involved with third-party, as well as Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge. Third-party productions where they step in and say "Hey, we are willing to finance this if you are putting this on our platform".
Hopefully they will keep on going with this.

Like i said they are in attack mode right now and when nintendo is in attack mode its not good for the others. they learned a lot the past two generations with gamecube and wii. i think the Wii U will be a comfortable balance between the two systems. lots of third party games with very good hardware to back it up.

#28 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Conker's bad fur day is an example of where the GCN had superior features such as the 'fur shading' in both games which was new then.

And Rogue Squadron did look much better than anything on the xbox. someone mentioned Rogue Squadron 3 in another thread. Had forgotten about then game. GFX Superior than Xbox games.

the Xbox had a couple of advantages over the Gamecube, but the GCN also held advantages.

In the end, they washed out about the same.

The Xbox had better raw numbers on paper.

The GCN produced games that showed what the actual combination of the right hardware working together could do. the Altivec in the CPU was an ace in the hole as well.

The "same" result basically, but cheaper to obtain.

Pretty smart.

And pretty effective.

That is a totally unfair and biased opinion that has no connection with reality.

They certainly didn't wash out the same.

xbox.

More powerful gpu
superior sound (5.1 compared to 2 channel)
faster cpu
high resolution support
32bit colour
64meg memory
bulit in hard drive

Gamecube

The split graphics memory and system memory allowed greater memory bandwidth.

A huge number of xbox games would be impossible on gamecube simply due to lack of memory, small optical disc and no hard drive.

Rogue Squadron would be possible on xbox even if it was cut down in some way but I actually suspect the opposite is true and it would actually have been improved.

Starfox adventures vs Conker is an easy win for Conker.

You probably can't see the difference as well on youtube but when you use a projector and both games are projected on a whole wall there is absolutely no way any sane person would say the Gamecube is as good. Also check out Wreckless on youtube for both xbox and gamecube or any other multiformat title that exists for both xbox and gamecube.

Also don't forget the xbox creates a full 5.1 sound track for almost all games. Thats something Nintendo are just about to deliver for the first time with the wii u.

#29 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

That is a totally unfair and biased opinion that has no connection with reality.

They certainly didn't wash out the same.

xbox.

More powerful gpu
superior sound (5.1 compared to 2 channel)
faster cpu
high resolution support
32bit colour
64meg memory
bulit in hard drive

Gamecube

The split graphics memory and system memory allowed greater memory bandwidth.

A huge number of xbox games would be impossible on gamecube simply due to lack of memory, small optical disc and no hard drive.

Rogue Squadron would be possible on xbox even if it was cut down in some way but I actually suspect the opposite is true and it would actually have been improved.

Starfox adventures vs Conker is an easy win for Conker.

You probably can't see the difference as well on youtube but when you use a projector and both games are projected on a whole wall there is absolutely no way any sane person would say the Gamecube is as good. Also check out Wreckless on youtube for both xbox and gamecube or any other multiformat title that exists for both xbox and gamecube.

Also don't forget the xbox creates a full 5.1 sound track for almost all games. Thats something Nintendo are just about to deliver for the first time with the wii u.

The Youtube vids don't tell any story whatsoever. and no, it was an accurate comparison and a viable one. Just because the GCN wins there doesn't invalidate the fact.

The XBOX did have superior AUDIO.

If you want to talk about ported games that were made for one architecture and ported over, be my guest. Even the Fight Night game on the Cube didn't compare to the PS2 version. and we KNOW that wasn't because the PS2 had more power.

And Rogue Squadron 3 looks better than any xbox game in existence. And this is despite the many concept shots passing for xbox gameplay and direct feed vs compressed video shots. LOL

So yeah, in actuality they do wash out about the same.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 18 September 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#30 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

There are no Gamecube games looking like Rallisport Challenge 2 or Conker: Live and Reloaded.

#31 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

There are no Gamecube games looking like Rallisport Challenge 2 or Conker: Live and Reloaded.

Conker was supposed to be a squirrel with fur shading, not a porcupine with spike shading.

And there are no Xbox games looking like the Rogue Squadron series.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 18 September 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#32 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

This is why the GCN failed. Not due to power. Nintendo thought they created the killer console. And they did. but then they dumped on third parties with their treatment and with the industrial "design" of the system. it was nasty looking. And it had a handle... Looked like Barney the Dinosaurs lunch pale.

But I think the OP is referring to power and how it will relate to its competitors.

In that case, the Wii U will likely be the PS2 of the 3.

Just wanted to point out that the GC was NOT a failure.. not in the slightest.

--x--x--x--

I hope the Wii U gains more support than the gamecube.. and with a better reputation (Why is the GC rep so tarnished!?)

#33 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just wanted to point out that the GC was NOT a failure.. not in the slightest.

--x--x--x--

I hope the Wii U gains more support than the gamecube.. and with a better reputation (Why is the GC rep so tarnished!?)

To clarify, the gcn was a gigantic success as far as the hardware goes. Big power at low cost. Put ps2 to Shame and rivaled Xbox.

But as far as sales and the ability to encourage third parties, it was a dismal failure.

Yamauchi was in charge and wanted his "star cube" (remember that naming possibility? To smack up the competition. They spent the R&D money to get it right and they produced a beast.

But then they made it purple. With a handle.

And they marketed it to kids.

And surprise! kids bought it. And hardly anyone else.

That sales failure was what led Nintendo to create the wii and sell cube as cheap as dirt. They had too much inventory. Nintendo viewed it as a disaster. So they created the wii extremely cheap, making money hand over fist, not just on the games, but the actual console! They had to underpower the wii because it was a huge gamble. They couldn't be sure it would sell. ESP after a great formula with the gcn failed.

The wii was Nintendo in "safe mode" as far as hardware deals (basically revamped GameCube innards) and expenses. They couldn't spend the money to compete on power so they needed a differentiator - motion controls. And they nailed it.

The wii could have been much more if the gcn succeeded in sales. But it failed there. In terms of power, the cube was a resounding success. Just not in sales.

Now we have Nintendo after huge success with the wii. They have the R&D capital. They could afford the investment and risk. So they invested wisely, thinking of the user experience and then the hardware that enables and enhances that experience.

No one in the world thought Nintendo would actually use Power7 (a single component that by itself commands respect). Or include 2 GB of RAM. Or actually have a really great GPU. It was "too good to be true"
But they did. Because they could. Because the wii, while a hardware letdown, was a crazy sales success.

So the wii u will probably be a GameCube 2 as far as hardware is concerned. But it looks poised to enjoy the sales success of the wii and possibly the third party support of the SNES.

#34 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Conker was supposed to be a squirrel with fur shading, not a porcupine with spike shading.

And there are no Xbox games looking like the Rogue Squadron series.

The Rogue Squadron-games were beautiful. And there were plenty of beautiful games on Gamecube. It was far superior to Playstation 2.
But what you say is just not accurate. Xbox was a power-machine and its most good looking games were in a league of its own.

#35 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

A bunch of text was here.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the XBOX to be a failure or a success?

#36 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

The Rogue Squadron-games were beautiful. And there were plenty of beautiful games on Gamecube. It was far superior to Playstation 2.
But what you say is just not accurate. Xbox was a power-machine and its most good looking games were in a league of its own.

I know of which I speak. Xbox was respectable. And had the msjority of graphically impressive gsmes But the peak (best) graphics to be found of that generation were on the GameCube.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the XBOX to be a failure or a success?

It was a hardware success. And it wasn't dead last in sales. So it should be viewed as such in a generation that was hugely dominated by the ps2.

#37 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

I know of which I speak. Xbox was respectable. And had the msjority of graphically impressive gsmes But the peak (best) graphics to be found of that generation were on the GameCube.

Well, you saying it doesnt make it true. It makes it an opinion. But if your example of the best of the best is Rogue Squadron, then from a technical point (taking the design-aspect of it to the side) of view those games wasnt even near Rallisport Challenge 2, Conker, Riddick, Halo 2, World Racing and so on.

#38 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

It was a hardware success. And it wasn't dead last in sales. So it should be viewed as such in a generation that was hugely dominated by the ps2.

I only ask to gain your perspective on what is a "failure". Based on sales, GC would not be considered a failure, as its sales were close to the XBOX (about 20-25mil units). The rest after unit sales is pure opinion.

#39 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

I only ask to gain your perspective on what is a "failure". Based on sales, GC would not be considered a failure, as its sales were close to the XBOX (about 20-25mil units). The rest after unit sales is pure opinion.

It was obvious when you asked the question.

The GameCube didnt sink Nintendo. But it sold far below what they anticipated. And it soured third parties.

#40 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

Xbox was a huge financial failure and was sold at a massively subsidised price. Microsoft sank a huge amount of money in the original xbox. It may have sold marginally more than Gamecube but the Gamecube was a huge success in comparison from a business perspective as it was actually profitable although only barely. It was much cheaper to make and achieved its performance level with lower costed components. No question the xbox was a bigger commerical failure. For actual gameplay and satisfying consumers its more difficult. The original xbox was very cheap to develop for. I remember reading that Wolfenstein took something like 2 weeks to get running on Xbox but something like 9 months on ps2. I think a lot of publishers and developers made good money out of the xbox. I think the xbox was a fantastic success for consumers they got a very powerful console at a very subsidised price but it was a disaster financially for Microsoft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!