• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Axis Magnus

Axis Magnus

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

I'm sure you guys remember about that golf demo in the Wii U concept video; about how a Wii remote could interact with the new controller's sensor strip.

The thing is...What else could you possibly use it for other than golf? I admit, compared to it's other features, I'm creatively bankrupt on this one. :)

#2 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Perhaps it will allow us to use Wii-remote controls while playing only on the small screen.

#3 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

Perhaps it will allow us to use Wii-remote controls while playing only on the small screen.

What.

You mean... using a Wiimote with the U Controller? Srsly?

Anyway, even if there are low amount of possibilities, it doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's only a LED.

#4 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

What.

You mean... using a Wiimote with the U Controller? Srsly?

Anyway, even if there are low amount of possibilities, it doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's only a LED.

I admit I'm grasping at straws. But it's not out of the realm of possibility. Imagine a Trauma center type game where the Wiimote acts as your scalpel and the actual controller is your patient.

Why don't you try using your imagination and contributing to the topic?

Edited by logitech, 22 June 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#5 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

I admit I'm grasping at straws. But it's not out of the realm of possibility. Imagine a Trauma center type game where the Wiimote acts as your scalpel and the actual controller is your patient.

Why don't you try using your imagination and contributing to the topic?

It's not out of the realm of possibility, sure, but it's extremely unlikely. I mean, the thing comes with a stylus and a wiimote wouldn't work as a scalpel because it's too big and if it was too close it wouldn't work.

#6 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

It's not out of the realm of possibility, sure, but it's extremely unlikely. I mean, the thing comes with a stylus and a wiimote wouldn't work as a scalpel because it's too big and if it was too close it wouldn't work.

But a stylus doesn't have buttons or the sensors that the Wii-remote does. Heck, they may even be able to be used in conjunction.

#7 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

But a stylus doesn't have buttons or the sensors that the Wii-remote does. Heck, they may even be able to be used in conjunction.

Why would you need buttons though? I mean, the Wii U remote has loads of buttons. You've got the ABXY, shoulder buttons, triggers and + and -

#8 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Does the Wii-U controller have a kick-stand?

If it does I can imagine a game where you have your inventory or whatever displayed on the controller and you can use the wii-remote to quickly change items without ever going through a menu.

For example, in Zelda, imagine the controller displaying your inventory. Need bombs? Just point at bombs on the controller and drag them to the main screen, you are now equipped with bombs!

Of course this has the problem of taking your eyes of the main screen, but I think it makes the games more immersive, because time doesn't stop in real life when you need to change weapons.

Why would you need buttons though? I mean, the Wii U remote has loads of buttons. You've got the ABXY, shoulder buttons, triggers and + and -

I meant more buttons and sensors vs. the stylus, not the Wii U controller.

Like for example if you were using a virtual drill, the A button could be used as the "trigger" of the drill. A stylus wouldn't really be able to re-create that. Plus the wii-remote can also sense motion, so it could replicate sawing or twisting motions, but a stylus can't.

#9 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

I'm sure it is there to work with the Wiimote, what else? Theoretically it should be possible to play any Wiimote game on the second screen, so why not?

#10 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

I meant more buttons and sensors vs. the stylus, not the Wii U controller.

Like for example if you were using a virtual drill, the A button could be used as the "trigger" of the drill. A stylus wouldn't really be able to re-create that. Plus the wii-remote can also sense motion, so it could replicate sawing or twisting motions, but a stylus can't.

Yeah, but it wouldn't work. If you want to do that you would do it on the big screen. Obviously games that use Wiimote motions wouldn't work because the screen is too small to be useful like that.

It was never really confirmed that it was a sensor bar anyway, for all we know it's just there for aesthetics. It could easily just be using the motion of the Wiimote to tell if it's hit the ball. It's unlikely, but just something to consider.

#11 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, but it wouldn't work. If you want to do that you would do it on the big screen. Obviously games that use Wiimote motions wouldn't work because the screen is too small to be useful like that.

It was never really confirmed that it was a sensor bar anyway, for all we know it's just there for aesthetics. It could easily just be using the motion of the Wiimote to tell if it's hit the ball. It's unlikely, but just something to consider.

I think having the screen in your lap would be more immersive. And the screen size doesn't make a difference for the acceleromator and gyro controls.

#12 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

I think having the screen in your lap would be more immersive. And the screen size doesn't make a difference for the acceleromator and gyro controls.

When you've got a screen in your lap you don't want to be flailing a remote about. Come on, don't be ridiculous. I certainly don't want to play things like Mario Kart like that because the Wii wheel would block my sight of the screen.

#13 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

When you've got a screen in your lap you don't want to be flailing a remote about. Come on, don't be ridiculous. I certainly don't want to play things like Mario Kart like that because the Wii wheel would block my sight of the screen.

I'm not being ridiculous at all. Small movements work just fine with the WM+. In fact I've never had to "flail" around to play a game.

And who said anything about playing Mario Kart like that? I was talking about a Trama Center-esque game where it makes sense to be sitting/standing directly over the screen, like a surgeon would stand over a patient.

Again, instead of coming up with crazy explanations on why my ideas don't work, why don't you actually try to come up with idea for the sensor strip and add something to the converstation.

Edited by logitech, 22 June 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#14 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'm not being ridiculous at all. Small movements work just fine with the WM+. In fact I've never had to "flail" around to play a game.

And who said anything about playing Mario Kart like that? I was talking about a Trama Center-esque game where it makes sense to be sitting/standing directly over the screen, like a surgeon would stand over a patient.

Again, instead of coming up with crazy explanations on why my ideas don't work, why don't you actually try to come up with idea for the sensor strip and add something to the converstation.

FFS, if you're doing trauma center you can just stylus. Do you think they honestly made the screen touch screen so you could use pointer controls instead?

And no, not necessarily flailing, but you used the term "Motion control", which is stuff like Tennis and Baseball. Obviously you meant pointer controls.

To be quite honest, I don't give a damn if you think I'm not contributing to the conversation, because there is nothing to contribute. If you want people to come up with some ludicrous idea like not using the precise (and bloody expensive - it's a 6.2 inch LCD and touch screen at that) touch in favor of using a bloody big Wiimote then you can go post on Gamespot.

Edited by Dementis, 22 June 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#15 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

FFS, if you're doing trauma center you can just stylus. Do you think they honestly made the screen touch screen so you could use pointer controls instead?

And no, not necessarily flailing, but you used the term "Motion control", which is stuff like Tennis and Baseball. Obviously you meant pointer controls.

What I'm saying is that the Wii-Remote has more functionality than a stylus, because it has buttons and motion sensors. How do words like "sawing and twisting" obviously mean pointer controls? I was talking about motion controls AND pointer controls, neither of which require "flailing." And there is no reason why the stylus and wii-remote can't be used in conjunction.

Do you really think they built in a sensor bar just to be there? THERE HAS TO BE SOME CONNECTIVITY WITH THE WII-REMOTE'S POINTER CONTROLS. Or else it wouldn't be there.

To be quite honest, I don't give a damn if you think I'm not contributing to the conversation, because there is nothing to contribute. If you want people to come up with some ludicrous idea like not using the precise (and bloody expensive - it's a 6.2 inch LCD and touch screen at that) touch in favor of using a bloody big Wiimote then you can go post on Gamespot.

Why don't you try reading the OP? The TC is asking for ideas about the connectivity between the WiiU controller and the Wii remote. Exactly what have you done to add to the discussion? If you have "nothing to contribute" then why the hell are you posting in this thread?

Edited by logitech, 22 June 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

logitech, stop trolling man.
Geez. Everyone knows the Wii u controller won't work with a wii remote.
We only post about reality, not what you dream up!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

logitech, stop trolling man.
Geez. Everyone knows the Wii u controller won't work with a wii remote.
We only post about reality, not what you dream up!

I hate you. j/k :)

#18 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

You will be surprised at how they will surprise us :) they may come up with stuff we would never think of! Just pointing out the fact :D
Posted Image

#19 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

What I'm saying is that the Wii-Remote has more functionality than a stylus, because it has buttons and motion sensors. How do words like "sawing and twisting" obviously mean pointer controls? I was talking about motion controls AND pointer controls, neither of which require "flailing." And there is no reason why the stylus and wii-remote can't be used in conjunction.

Do you really think they built in a sensor bar just to be there? THERE HAS TO BE SOME CONNECTIVITY WITH THE WII-REMOTE'S POINTER CONTROLS. Or else it wouldn't be there.

Why don't you try reading the OP? The TC is asking for ideas about the connectivity between the WiiU controller and the Wii remote. Exactly what have you done to add to the discussion? If you have "nothing to contribute" then why the hell are you posting in this thread?

I AM CONTRIBUTING, I AM CONTRIBUTING THE REASON WHY YOU ARE WRONG

:RAGE:

Also, are you serious? It's there because even if there are like 2 ideas of what can be done, it's still useful and it's only 2 tiny LEDs so it would be ridiculous not to.

Edited by Dementis, 22 June 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#20 GunGoomba

GunGoomba

Friend of Bulbmins

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Mario, Peach, Zelda. Yoshi

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

I can already see Paper Mario using the Sensor strip with his Hammer.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!