#21 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Wrong. The Wii U is region locked. The fact that Japan also uses the NTSC standard is irrelevant. Japanese Wii U's will only play Japanese games. They will not play games from any other region. A lot of 360 games are region free plus in Hong Kong they use both the NTSC and PAL standards. That said NTSC/PAL and region locking are two different things and not related.

Well all of my US bought consoles play Japanese games which are apparently "region locked"

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Well all of my US bought consoles play Japanese games which are apparently "region locked"

Which consoles are you actually referring to ? Also what makes you think just because one console manufacturer makes their console region free they all are ? The PS3 is totally region free. The Xbox 360 is partially region free and varies on a game by game basis. The Wii is 100% region locked. A US Wii will not play Japanese games and vice versa. The same applies to Wii's from all regions including the EU and Australia. I've been importing consoles from the US and Japan for many years now starting with a Japanese Saturn. I currently own a US PS3 and Wii and until it broke also a US Xbox 360. I live in the UK. I lived in the US for 12 years during which I imported several Japanese consoles. I think I know what I'm talking about.

#23 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

^^^ The wii isn't 100% region locked. Hell mine can play games from any country in the world, Pretty much every console can if you no what your doing. Obviously not straight out of the box though. And i have no doubt that with a few small tricks the Wii U would be able to also. Mind you i do not condone this for illegal activities, I have only ever done it so i could play games that have not been released here in Aus.

Edited by cannonshane, 14 October 2012 - 03:51 AM.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#24 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

^^^ The wii isn't 100% region locked. Hell mine can play games from any country in the world, Pretty much every console can if you no what your doing. Obviously not straight out of the box though. And i have no doubt that with a few small tricks the Wii U would be able to also. Mind you i do not condone this for illegal activities, I have only ever done it so i could play games that have not been released here in Aus.

Umm...well that's not what you said in your original post. Of course most if not all consoles can be modified to play import games. And you're wrong the Wii is 100% locked. If you choose to hack or modify your consoles that's another thing altogether. That's not what we're talking about here. You may be comfortable and happy to mess with your consoles but the average player out there isn't going to do so. In future if you're going to make such statements I suggest you be clear in what you're saying as in essence what you said earlier was wrong. At the end of the day what you suggest is not realistic or practical in many cases.

#25 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well, Wal-mart's taking layaways for the 32 GB Wii U, and I already put money down on one today, so come 11/18, I'll have the Wii U deluxe in my possession.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#26 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Umm...well that's not what you said in your original post. Of course most if not all consoles can be modified to play import games. And you're wrong the Wii is 100% locked. If you choose to hack or modify your consoles that's another thing altogether. That's not what we're talking about here. You may be comfortable and happy to mess with your consoles but the average player out there isn't going to do so. In future if you're going to make such statements I suggest you be clear in what you're saying as in essence what you said earlier was wrong. At the end of the day what you suggest is not realistic or practical in many cases.

True, but a lot of console are not region locked though, For example my Japanese PS2 played US games without touching a thing. Same with my Japanese dreamcast. DS, N64 is also the same. And in some cases its as simple as inserting a disc to remove the region lock on consoles that have it. Hardly a huge effort in my opinion.

Edited by cannonshane, 14 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#27 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well, Wal-mart's taking layaways for the 32 GB Wii U, and I already put money down on one today, so come 11/18, I'll have the Wii U deluxe in my possession.

How does layaway work?

Edited by Big Bird, 14 October 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#28 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hopefully not in the way I think it does, or else Walmart really does have everything.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#29 EnDeR2013

EnDeR2013

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Mario Kart

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

The thing is i cant get it from walmart because im planing to trade in wii and mw3 ps3 for it, because i dont have $330 saved up
I guess ill just get it 2 days after, when ill be picking up persona 4 for vita, thats if they wont open up more preorders in gamestop
Posted Image

#30 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

True, but a lot of console are not region locked though, For example my Japanese PS2 played US games without touching a thing. Same with my Japanese dreamcast. DS, N64 is also the same. And in some cases its as simple as inserting a disc to remove the region lock on consoles that have it. Hardly a huge effort in my opinion.

I don't know where you live but those consoles would have been pre modified as the regular off the shelf PS2, Dreamcast and N64 were all region locked no matter where you bought them. Removing the disc may have been possible but that doesn't mean the console was region free. Besides removing the disc like that is only going risk damaging your console. I suggest you go back and do some research h as you clearly don't know what you're talking about. I had US and UK PS2's and both had to be modified to play Japanese games. The same with my US PS One and Dreamcast.

#31 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

I don't need to do any research, i have the consoles in front of me, and i wasn't aware places such as target, eb games etc modified consoles before being sold brand new to a consumer.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#32 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

I don't need to do any research, i have the consoles in front of me, and i wasn't aware places such as target, eb games etc modified consoles before being sold brand new to a consumer.

They don't but there are ways for people to do it as well as independent retail stores and modifying services. Regardless of whether you have the consoles in front of you what you're saying is wrong. The majority of consoles over the years have been region locked. Most of the ones you say are region free in reality are not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!