31 replies to this topic

#1 Thugbrown

Thugbrown

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

POPULAR

I can't end the debate but it needs to be said. Yes when comparing the Wii U to the PS360 the graphics do look on par to maybe even better to what is out now but people need to keep in mind what they are comparing. The PS360 are six and seven year old systems and their games look WAY better than what they did when they first came out (COD2 on 360 is a great example of this). The Wii U is starting where these systems are ending which gives the Wii U a lot more potential than what people are giving it. I just want people to see the big picture. Wii U's 1st gen game graphics are equal to and in some cases better than PS360's 6th & 7th gen game graphics. But yet we still have people who are complaining the the system is weak because the games look on par to games that are already out but is that a bad thing??? What we have right now are the Wii U's 1st gen games which devs are still learning the system and what they can do with it (that why we got ports), imagine what 2nd, 3rd, and beyond will look like when devs really get into the meat of the system and really push the Wii U. This is just the start and though it doesn't seem like much to some, it speaks volumes to me because the games that are out now look amazing regaurdless if it is on PS360 it's a good starting point. We haven't seen nothing yet and what we got right now is just an appetizer of great looking games on the Wii U. Bring on the entree`!

#2 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

I agree, just look at the first gen games on '360 and ps3 compared to what you get now. as you pointed out once developers get to grips with what they can and cannot do on wiiu we should see some stonking stuff! take zombieu, looks ok graphically, but the developer said they weren't really trying to push the system graphically (or something like that) so imagine what the sequel will look like later on in the consoles life! sweet! BRING IT ON!...erm..etc..etc..........that is all.....message ends......
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Two things I think should be read:
1. Stop saying Wii U is better than PS3 and xbox 360, because that is to be expected. It's a new console generation. Truthfully it should go without saying that Wii U is more powerful.
2. To say Wii U's graphics are "just the same" as PS3 and xbox 360 graphics is to be expected, it's the first run of games on a new system. You can't really expect much new improvements from ports, and Nintendo haven't pushed HD graphics before, so they're learning too.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Thugbrown

Thugbrown

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

1. Stop saying Wii U is better than PS3 and xbox 360, because that is to be expected. It's a new console generation. Truthfully it should go without saying that Wii U is more powerful.
2. To say Wii U's graphics are "just the same" as PS3 and xbox 360 graphics is to be expected, it's the first run of games on a new system. You can't really expect much new improvements from ports, and Nintendo haven't pushed HD graphics before, so they're learning too.

1. Yes that is to be expected but there are many that won't except it
2. I don't think it is a matter of Nintendo learning what can be done (it's their system) it's just a matter of which art direction ninteno will decide to take with their IP's. Trust me when I say Nintendo can do some amazing stuff when they put their minds to it.

#5 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I can't end the debate but it needs to be said. Yes when comparing the Wii U to the PS360 the graphics do look on par to maybe even better to what is out now but people need to keep in mind what they are comparing. The PS360 are six and seven year old systems and their games look WAY better than what they did when they first came out (COD2 on 360 is a great example of this). The Wii U is starting where these systems are ending which gives the Wii U a lot more potential than what people are giving it. I just want people to see the big picture. Wii U's 1st gen game graphics are equal to and in some cases better than PS360's 6th & 7th gen game graphics. But yet we still have people who are complaining the the system is weak because the games look on par to games that are already out but is that a bad thing??? What we have right now are the Wii U's 1st gen games which devs are still learning the system and what they can do with it (that why we got ports), imagine what 2nd, 3rd, and beyond will look like when devs really get into the meat of the system and really push the Wii U. This is just the start and though it doesn't seem like much to some, it speaks volumes to me because the games that are out now look amazing regaurdless if it is on PS360 it's a good starting point. We haven't seen nothing yet and what we got right now is just an appetizer of great looking games on the Wii U. Bring on the entree`!

We are on the same page. Launch day games are not as good looking at end of life games. I posted this in the other thread, but to put it simple. As dev get better at coding the games will look better. Just look at software updates for things. Same system just better coding.

Agreed that the wii u should not be compared to the ps3 and xbo 360. Thats like comparing the last ps2 game to the first ps3 game.

ps2 mgs 3
Posted Image

PS3 MGS 4

Posted Image

PS3 MGS 5 ground zero
Posted Image

As you an see with time you get better at coding and can push the system more. So what im saying is the wii u will be on a different level then the ps3 and xbox 360. Those systems are running into there end. while the wii u is new and has alot left.

Edited by xile6, 10 October 2012 - 11:19 AM.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#6 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

you make a really good point i never thought about it like that, o well 38 more days 2 go

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

1. Yes that is to be expected but there are many that won't except it
2. I don't think it is a matter of Nintendo learning what can be done (it's their system) it's just a matter of which art direction ninteno will decide to take with their IP's. Trust me when I say Nintendo can do some amazing stuff when they put their minds to it.

Even Nintendo have a learning curve, and even more so with all the new programmers they have now, I think quality is starting to dip a little bit.
The young designers and programmers need more mentoring to gain my trust going forward.

NSMB2 is a prime example. It's good, but it's not excellent. The youngsters were in charge of that game while the older team worked on NSMBU.

http://mynintendonew...3-and-xbox-360/
inb4 thread

Edited by Nollog, 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Either way, enjoy the console for what it is, having the best graphics doesn't mean a console will always succeed, The Wii has proven this, It sold very well and its graphical capability was far below its opposition.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#9 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

PS3 MGS 5 ground zero
Posted Image

As you an see with time you get better at coding and can push the system more. So what im saying is the wii u will be on a different level then the ps3 and xbox 360. Those systems are running into there end. while the wii u is new and has alot left.

Just to say, this screenshot is from PC gamplay. PS360 could never achieve that lvl of graphics. Gamplay demo of MGS5 screams DX11 (features) all over it.

#10 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Just to say, this screenshot is from PC gamplay. PS360 could never achieve that lvl of graphics. Gamplay demo of MGS5 screams DX11 (features) all over it.

actually it had no DX11 features and was actually running on pc hardware equivalent to the ps3 apparently (note that doesn't mean if you had a pc with the specs of the ps3 you could play the game in that quality if it was ported to pc) and actually when you look closely it becomes painfully obvious its current gen tech with ugly environments ,textures etc.

#11 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Looks the same on ps3 also. I have seen the demo played on ps3 and its very close.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#12 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

has it occurred to anyone to not only compare what the wii u early games look next to the 360/PS3, but to also compare the 360/PS3 launch games to what was on the original xbox/PS2? Cuz you guys would have a much stronger argument if you could also point out that what people are saying about the wii u is what people saw from the 360/PS3 when they launched

#13 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

There shouldn't be an argument, The graphics are what they are. No matter how much people compare/cry about them they aren't going to change.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#14 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

There shouldn't be an argument, The graphics are what they are. No matter how much people compare/cry about them they aren't going to change.

The arguments won't change.

Graphical quality most certainly will.

Especially when the wii u thus far is only showing:

1) graphics ported over from old consoles
2) unambitious graphics (Mario)
3) last minute changes (zombi u)

Like the 360, the wii u will probably require a full year after launch to show what it's capable of.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 10 October 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#15 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

I didn't mean they won't improve, I meant its not like Nintendo is going to magically make them better in the last weeks before release. The hardware won't change.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#16 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Its really the wrong end of the stick though. Most developers seem very happy with the wii u hardware graphically. Its the cpu that is meant to be lacking. The real performance gain is optimising code to make the most of the cpu or utilising the features of the gpu that assist the cpu. Here is where the wii u needs some work. Nintendo appeared to have designed a console that prioritises the gpu to a higher level than the cpu. The ps3 if anything does the opposite and the 360 sits somewhere inbetween. There are no reports of developers struggling with the gpu.

#17 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

actually it had no DX11 features and was actually running on pc hardware equivalent to the ps3 apparently (note that doesn't mean if you had a pc with the specs of the ps3 you could play the game in that quality if it was ported to pc) and actually when you look closely it becomes painfully obvious its current gen tech with ugly environments ,textures etc.

That is marketing trick. You cant buy now PS3 equivalent hardware. DX11 features are so obviouse. I'm a PC gamer firs all my life, I really can tell difference between DX9, 10 and 11. I also have all 3 consoles this gen, and shaders on this game are no where close to this in PS360 games.

#18 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

The DX 11, modern OpenGl features are for developers. The gamers just sees what amounts to better lighting, more polygons (good tessellation is amazing), sharper texturing, real time shadow and lighting effects that often go under-appreciated.

Boiling it down, it simply means "better graphics." It may not be a world of difference, but you'll definitely notice when it's pointed out.

MGS: GZ won't look like that on PS3 or 360. Perhaps for the overly dark areas that focus on one or two characters, it will, but not if they plan on doing much more. The Ps3 can barely run Skyrim and it cannot handle the Dawnguard DLC due to its GPU. Being that GZ is an open world game, it's logical they've made sacrifices. there might be some shiny effects on the characters when it rains, but overrall, it will probably look like MGS4. but hopefully with some textures that actually look like what they are supposed to represent.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

i.imgur.com/om1IC.jpg

Edited by 3Dude, 12 October 2012 - 05:00 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Without saying? I think the Xbox was even more powerful than the Wii is. This shows that Nintendo is capable of anything and is likely to surprise us, whether it's in a positive way or not.

While Xbox 360 launch games indeed looked like late Xbox games and not much more, some of them show a clear improvement over the previous generation. Random comparison: COD 1 vs. COD 2

The Wii U doesn't even show a comparable leap in graphics yet, indicating it won't be a true powerhouse or something. But then again, we know nothing.

Edit: sigh, the pictures don't work. Posting links doesn't work, and the image tag doesn't work.

Edited by Keviin, 12 October 2012 - 07:22 AM.

No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!