• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dwarphkin

Dwarphkin

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

What will you guys do if Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo decided to go all cloud gaming? I for one will then stick to PC, and forget about them, unless they have a extremely good exclusive that I must play. But Yeah, I just want to get some other peoples feelings on the matter. I'm opposed to it, what about ya'll?
Posted Image
I sometimes wish life was like Fallout 3 ^-^

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Nope

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Dark Link

Dark Link

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Maybe for the masses if or when most first world countries get blanketed in fiber internet connections and free of bandwidth caps...but not for this guy. I simply refuse to touch "cloud" anything with a ten foot pole. Why would I want to give someone control over something I paid for? And believe me I can live without any of these future games because I have many other hobbies, and there is always a backlog of retro games to play that a company can never take from my cold, dead bloody hands.

3DS Friend Code: 4639-8971-0664

NNID: WirelessData

Currently playing: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Zelda Wind Waker HD

#4 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I don't see MS, Sony or Nintendo doing it first. Cloud gaming is a much more feasible thing for PCs.

I don't particularly like the whole Cloud thing anyway. My internet connection isn't too good so I wouldn't like my entire ability to play games being dependant on whether or not I can actually connect at that time or if it's going at a decent speed. And for the PC, sacrificing the whole moddability and customization aspects would be horrible. :(

Posted Image

#5 Dwarphkin

Dwarphkin

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Maybe for the masses if or when most first world countries get blanketed in fiber internet connections and free of bandwidth caps...but not for this guy. I simply refuse to touch "cloud" anything with a ten foot pole. Why would I want to give someone control over something I paid for? And believe me I can live without any of these future games because I have many other hobbies, and there is always a backlog of retro games to play that a company can never take from my cold, dead bloody hands.

Same here man, at first onLive looked like a cool idea, but then I got a taste of the lag. My main thing is, if there is no internet where you are, and you rely souly on the cloud, well you are SOL. (generally speaking of course)

Like just imagine if you had no choice but to play Skyrim on the cloud, and you went out to the boondocks in the middle of nowhere (Wyoming, Colorado, Mohave, Kansas, Arkansas etc) for a visit to grandma's, your internet goes down, you get banned from that service, that service provider gets hacked, or they go down for maintenance, guess what no awesomeness. Not to mention there would be no modding.

Edited by Dwarphkin, 18 October 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Here in Australia, it will be VERY BAD. I reckon a snail could run laps around our Internet speeds.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Because Julia Gillard wants to lay down some cables that will end up redundant before their expiry date.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

its simply not an option, average internet speeds aren't high enough. plus nintendo really doesn't care about trends, they will continue with discs in hundred years from now if they want to and can still make profit (not saying they will, just if they want)
Posted Image

#9 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I don't really like the idea of cloud gaming. If I want a game, I will buy it myself, and control it myself.

Posted Image

#10 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

I really don't want to ever see full cloud gaming. I love physical things, like manuals ( YEAH I'M LOOKING AT YOU VITA! ) , magazines and books over ebooks etc...the advent of cloud will also exclude entire generations from being collectables. Nothing beats buying a new RPG with a full color manual and an epic map.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#11 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I will be very sad. The only way I ever like downloading full games is if they are given away for free, like with PS+.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#12 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Until Nintendo Sony and Microsoft understand that consumers don't want to pay £30-£45 for a game that's been out for a year then it will be ok. With cloud gaming the game's video footage will be streamed and until we can get to a point where people don't buffer videos, and that the latency is acceptable then it really can't take off.

A video connection is minimum of 2Mbps, so it's plausible but then you have to take into consideration of the E2E delay that occurs when sending video or any packets for that matter.

It's possible but if the game companies control the price then it's not a good thing for us consumers.

#13 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

It would be a good way to go green, less plastics used in packaging and no paper used in the manuals, i see no harm in full blown cloud gaming, id be all on board for it, In the near future internet speeds around the nation will begin to rise significantly, The average speed here currently in the states is a mere 6.7 Mbps but Google will soon dominate the Internet industry, they are releasing "Google Fiber" with internet speeds of 1000 Mbps for $70 per month which will be expensive for alot of people but compared to other providers "High speed" deals it is a major bargain, it will also force every other internet provider to raise their speeds to stay competitive.

All the other internet providers cap out at about a max of 50 Mbps which costs $90 if you dont bundle with cable and phone so there really will be no competitor for Google, within the next 10 years I see no reason why the internet speeds average would not be more than capable of supporting full blown cloud gaming

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 19 October 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#14 Dwarphkin

Dwarphkin

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Here in Australia, it will be VERY BAD. I reckon a snail could run laps around our Internet speeds.

How do you guys play Live and/or PSN?

It would be a good way to go green, less plastics used in packaging and no paper used in the manuals, i see no harm in full blown cloud gaming, id be all on board for it, In the near future internet speeds around the nation will begin to rise significantly, The average speed here currently in the states is a mere 6.7 Mbps but Google will soon dominate the Internet industry, they are releasing "Google Fiber" with internet speeds of 1000 Mbps for $70 per month which will be expensive for alot of people but compared to other providers "High speed" deals it is a major bargain, it will also force every other internet provider to raise their speeds to stay competitive.

All the other internet providers cap out at about a max of 50 Mbps which costs $90 if you dont bundle with cable and phone so there really will be no competitor for Google, within the next 10 years I see no reason why the internet speeds average would not be more than capable of supporting full blown cloud gaming

TBH, I hate the Idea of cloud. I would become a hippie if everything goes cloud. Stuff would have zero value if that happens. With the rise of tablets, I fear for everyone born before 2000, because laptops, desktops, and just about everything as we know it, will be gone within the next 20 years. I myself(and probably half of the worlds computer nerds and geeks) like physical hardware, discs, carts etc. Going all cloud is just giving the government and many others a way into our already crappy privacy.

What would be cool though if everyone learned telekinesis, and had computer chips planted in their brains, then there would be no need for computers, but still, I'd like one, even if I can have a full intelligent conversation with it.

Edited by Dwarphkin, 19 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

How do you guys play Live and/or PSN?

I'm over exaggerating of course. But even so, our net speeds in comparison to the rest of the world is slow.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#16 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

It's good for demos, like Gaikan allows. But I don't see myself playing full games because of potential lag.

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

No way, when I pay my money for a game I wanna be able to hold it in my hands and smell that new game smell, as for my save file I want them on my system so I know they are there, imagen if the cloud got hacked and you lost everything, screw that lol. Its for this reason I buy retail games, save my games on my system and back them up on a USB memory stick.

#18 Dwarphkin

Dwarphkin

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Until Nintendo Sony and Microsoft understand that consumers don't want to pay £30-£45 for a game that's been out for a year then it will be ok. With cloud gaming the game's video footage will be streamed and until we can get to a point where people don't buffer videos, and that the latency is acceptable then it really can't take off.

A video connection is minimum of 2Mbps, so it's plausible but then you have to take into consideration of the E2E delay that occurs when sending video or any packets for that matter.

It's possible but if the game companies control the price then it's not a good thing for us consumers.

If its a good game people will $60 for a game. I would. It's a shame nowadays people want everything for damn there free.
Posted Image

#19 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

I won't say I hate it for in fact I don't and its a interesting concept I have 6 games on onlive (Only bought 2 the others onlive gave me for free) well its far from a perfect server as it does have lag even though generally lag isn't noticeable on a stable 3mb internet connection speed but at a 3mb internet speed the quality will not be to good(at least for onlive ,gaikai has extremely good quality and for the most part seems to have less lag but due to it running with java if you don't have 3 gigs of ram it will become unstable and crash after about 7 minutes). I typically use Onlive when I am away and I can't drag my Heavy Desktop with me everywhere I go so I use my 8 year old laptop and play onlive with it just fine, I don't believe at least with the extremely ancient internet structure that United States has right now it will be viable for general public for a decade or 2 , but I do want it to be seen as a option this generation (SONY bought Gaikai http://www.gaikai.com ) for Demos and such instead of having to download them .

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 28 October 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Cloud gaming is good if you don't mind paying to play a game you won't actually own.

It is my understanding that with cloud gaming(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,) you pay a certain fee to be able to play a game over the internet. Now this is problematic for two reasons...

#1: Not everybody has fantastic internet to buy/play/download their games. There are still a good number of gamers that don't have internet, or don't connect their system to the internet for...whatever reason. Going all-cloud would only hurt sales, rather than strengthen them.
#2: The person buying the game over the cloud doesn't actually own the game. You don't have it installed on your computer/system/device, and you don't have it in physical form. Just doesn't seem like you actually own it unless it's one of those three things.
#3: Lag. Lag in an FPS, platformer, and to a certain extent puzzle games, is not a very good thing to have. At all.

The idea of cloud gaming just never struck me as a good idea in the long run. As an option, maybe, but it's one of those "cost vs profit, risk vs reward" situations that I don't see many companies diving into headfirst.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cloud, Bad, good, Xbox, playstation, nintendo, wii, wii u, 360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!