• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have a Pioneer Kuro plasma TV which is a panel only (no speakers) & I currently get sound from my PS3, Sky HD & Apple TV using optical connections to my bluray/amp all in one unit.

The amp unit doesn't allow HDMI sound & I notice the Wii U only comes with a HDMI cable.

Is there any way I can get the picture to go through my TV using HDMI & get the audio using either optical or the red/white connectors?

Edited by OneManTagTeam, 11 November 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#2 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I don't think it's possible.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

You'll have to buy a device to seperate the digital sound from the hdmi cable. probably be about 50 euro.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have a Pioneer Kuro plasma TV which is a panel only (no speakers) & I currently get sound from my PS3, Sky HD & Apple TV using optical connections to my bluray/amp all in one unit.

The amp unit doesn't allow HDMI sound & I notice the Wii U only comes with a HDMI cable.

Is there any way I can get the picture to go through my TV using HDMI & get the audio using either optical or the red/white connectors?

I have I pioneer elite kuro 50 inch and my set has the speakers. kuros are 1 of the best tvs money can buy beutiful picture.

Edited by angelo07stang, 11 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

#5 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

I didn't pay for the speakers as I run everything through my amp & they were about £200 extra! It's the Kuro PDPLX508D I have. A bit old now but still an excellent TV

I have an optical out on the panel but I couldn't get it to work the last time I tried, although that was about 2 years ago...

I'll need to have a mess around with the connections & try & get it to work as it would be hell of a lot easier than having the 3 optical cables I use just now on a switch to change input, plus another for the Wii U too

Edited by OneManTagTeam, 11 November 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have the same issue and have a home cinema setup twice in the house, one in the living room and one a bedroom and both are optical or coaxial only with no hdmi surround support and I have no plans to upgrade the home cinema. However I do have a vague idea about upgrading my tv soon to something like a 50" active 3d plasma or passive 3D LCD set and I guess certain models may come with an optical output which will enable the surround to be output to my older home cinema system?

Alternatively I'll just use the wii u in prologic sound mode with 2 channels creating a pseudo type surround effect like I have done with the wii. Not ideal I know.

#7 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

would one of these work?
http://www.amazon.co...52667031&sr=1-3
it would split the channels so that you would have separate audio cables.

Edited by stephen, 11 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#8 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I was hoping to get picture through HDMI & audio using the Wii av cable :(

Will the component Wii cable work with Wii U?

Edited by OneManTagTeam, 11 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#9 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

cant you connect wii to tv hdmi, then use optical out to your amp? thats what i do. so my ps3 outputs sound via hdmi to tv which sends the audio out theoptical to my 'amp'

#10 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

That's what I've been thinking of doing. Before trying to get to the back of the TV on the wall I've done a bit of research on the net & it seems on the built in digital tuner supports the optical out & not any connected devices.

My TV has component inputs so I may need to go component rather than HDMI so I can connect the red/white plugs to my amp

#11 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

But then you won't have the nice HD graphics on ya TV. ..so, you can't get a HDMi lead from the Wii U to your TV? ..I'd seriously avoid component

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

I was hoping to get picture through HDMI & audio using the Wii av cable :(

Will the component Wii cable work with Wii U?

Yes.

But then you won't have the nice HD graphics on ya TV. ..so, you can't get a HDMi lead from the Wii U to your TV? ..I'd seriously avoid component

Component cables are HD.
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/9/2006/12/madcatz_wii_component.jpg
They use the YBRGXyzpurple connectors, which give a hd picture.
You're thinking of composite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Edited by Nollog, 11 November 2012 - 02:35 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I can get HDMI from the Wii U to TV but no sound through HDMI as the TV has no speakers & amp has no HDMI input.

If the Wii U let you get audio through optical as well as picture through HDMI, like the PS3 & 360, it would be fine but it doesn't appear that it does.

If its not possible to get audio with my set up, I'll be cancelling my preorder :(

Yes.

Component cables are HD.

Thanks, ill order one of them then :D I did use component on the pre HDMI 360. Just wasn't sure if the Wii one would work with Wii U

Edited by OneManTagTeam, 11 November 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#14 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

But your TV must have optical out then? So just HDMI from Wii to TV. Optical out TV to your amp..that way you don't need to buy more cables/connectors or whatever coz you already have what's required. But whatever floats your boat dude. I say tomato you say tomato..don't think that actually works when typing it. Anywho..I'm rambling now so, later

#15 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I was hoping it was that easy but the optical out just works for the inbuilt digital tuner. Any HDMI inputs into the TV won't output through optical

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I can get HDMI from the Wii U to TV but no sound through HDMI as the TV has no speakers &amp; amp has no HDMI input.

If the Wii U let you get audio through optical as well as picture through HDMI, like the PS3 &amp; 360, it would be fine but it doesn't appear that it does.

If its not possible to get audio with my set up, I'll be cancelling my preorder :(

Thanks, ill order one of them then :D I did use component on the pre HDMI 360. Just wasn't sure if the Wii one would work with Wii U

That should work just fine. You will just get stereo or possible pro-logic sound if your amp supports it instead of true surround sound basically.

#17 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

You have a Kuro, but you couldn't spring for a receiver that let you pass audio through HDMI? So when you listen to a blu-ray movie, you never get lossless audio? Just DD 5.1? What a waste.

#18 AJsAWiz

AJsAWiz

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

cant you connect wii to tv hdmi, then use optical out to your amp? thats what i do. so my ps3 outputs sound via hdmi to tv which sends the audio out theoptical to my 'amp'

That works for me too, except I use optical out to my sound bar. PS 3 slim is hooked up to a larger TV and goes right to my receiver. Still have the original backwards compatible PS 3 which shares the same TV as the WiiU.

#19 clones

clones

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Feedback My son has the hdmi plugged in the television and the component red/white plugged into the stereo. We're getting both the video on the televion and the sound through the stereo.

Feedback My son has the hdmi plugged in the television and the component red/white plugged into the stereo. We're getting both the video on the televion and the sound through the stereo.

No I was incorrect we were not getting sound through the stereo only the gamepad. Now back to getting a new receivier

#20 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Aparantly the Wii U is not that easy to set up with surround sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!