• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

yeah lets buy a 400 dollar console and then have to buy a 100 dollar ontop of that good job nintendo
i love nintendo but there ripping us off!!!!!!

Not really, Nintendo didn't want to profit at all for the declining prices in memory so they left the option open to the consumer to pick how much they needed, it also made the console much cheaper, and I think your exagerating a bit 250GB HDD $30, 320GB HDD $40, 500GB HDD $50, 1TB HDD $80, 2TB HDD $135. The only options there that even reach the price you were on about were the exsesivly huge ones, in actual fact Nintendo did us a favor so stop complaining.

#22 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Not really, Nintendo didn't want to profit at all for the declining prices in memory so they left the option open to the consumer to pick how much they needed, it also made the console much cheaper, and I think your exagerating a bit 250GB HDD $30, 320GB HDD $40, 500GB HDD $50, 1TB HDD $80, 2TB HDD $135. The only options there that even reach the price you were on about were the exsesivly huge ones, in actual fact Nintendo did us a favor so stop complaining.

i dont know were ur buying urs from but in australia there nit that cheap

#23 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

i dont know were ur buying urs from but in australia there nit that cheap

Canada, America and UK, I didm't know you were in Australia, even so it's not Nintendo's fault, blame your country's government for exsesivly high inflation.

#24 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Edited by cannonshane, 16 November 2012 - 03:26 AM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#25 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Just get a Hard Drive they are so cheap now, problem solved.

No problem in the first place

#26 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Well... it was kinda expected. Everyone here knows that you never get the full extent of a hard drive, and that they have to store the account data somewhere. Although I wasn't expecting it to be 4gb worth. o_o

The Wii U uses Flash Memory, not a Hard Drive. But you are correct.

Posted Image

#27 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

What can the SD card slot be used for again? Nintendo state not for downloads but what can it be used for? Before Nintendo made that announcement many were planning to just bung in a cheap 32GB SD card to supplement system memory. I dont understand why nintendo has restricted the sdcard slot unless they are also preventing use of usb memory sticks. Surely if you save games to a hard drive that hard drive can be connected to a pc and hackers can attempt to crack the format and read the files. Just don't see the point of restricting the sd card slot.

#28 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

What can the SD card slot be used for again? Nintendo state not for downloads but what can it be used for? Before Nintendo made that announcement many were planning to just bung in a cheap 32GB SD card to supplement system memory. I dont understand why nintendo has restricted the sdcard slot unless they are also preventing use of usb memory sticks. Surely if you save games to a hard drive that hard drive can be connected to a pc and hackers can attempt to crack the format and read the files. Just don't see the point of restricting the sd card slot.

Xbox 360 and PS3 don't have SD card slots right?
Nintendo may now have some new-found-logic, and actually take into account the opposing systems security, and why they might not have as much modders/hackers as Wii.
Getting rid of SD slot is a good start.

#29 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well. Surely you can put ISOs/homebrew on your harddrive, but the actual modding/hacking is done via SD card on the Wii. (IIRC it works on SD only) If you don't have an SD card, you can't play those ISOs. At most you'll get save data hacks this way, unless people find some way to hack the system via USB. Even so, there will always be hardmodding, but making softmodding harder will prevent a lot of loss from pirating, as you don't need to buy anything to softmod the system.

Edit: I just realized that perhaps reading of the USB harddrive can lead to cracking the game's anti piracy protection which was probably what you meant. But as Nintendo stated that it can't be used with a PC if it's formatted for Wii U. The whole drive will probably be a "unique" format to prevent PCs from reading it to begin with... But there's already tools for WBFS. Even still, downloads may require checking with the eshop's account data at least once to verify it as purchased, which is the only way I can see anti piracy really working assuming an unmodded Wii U. It'd have to be modded to stop the verification. Hmmm...

Edited by Ixchel, 16 November 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

wait a minute How much memory does the Wii U come with, for example my xbox 360 came with 250 GB of memory

wjapt2.jpg

#31 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I bet that in the future they release a newer model of the Wii U with more storage data.

Signature_DK.png

#32 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

wait a minute How much memory does the Wii U come with, for example my xbox 360 came with 250 GB of memory

Either 8GB or 32GB depending on the model.

#33 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

It's in the first post.

"The Wii U operating system, the account data, etc., will take up 4.2 GB of internal storage space. Each Wii U is preloaded with this data, which means that the 8 GB Wii U version will only have about 3 GB left for save games, downloads, and such. This is because when the 8 GB is formatted, it ends up with 7.2 GB of usable storage. Then 4.2 GB is taken up by the console itself."

"The Wii U Deluxe version will ship with 32 GB of storage. When it’s formatted, it will have about 29 GB. Minus the 4.2 GB of system data, this means that the Deluxe version will have about 25 GB to store games, save games, downloads, and more."

Posted Image

#34 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Either 8GB or 32GB depending on the model.

holy smokes that is quite a small amount of memory and scary considering the size of the first update

wjapt2.jpg

#35 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

holy smokes that is quite a small amount of memory and scary considering the size of the first update

Yes I think Nintendo dropped the ball there by releasing an 8GB model where more then half of the storage is going to used up by a software update. Fortunately I'm getting the deluxe model that comes with 32GB. I feel sorry for all those getting the basic model even with the possibility of using external hard drives.

#36 TomBollandLTD

TomBollandLTD

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon Mario Link

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Considering the newest console I own is the Gamecube...

How much space do things like saved games and miis and so on actually us nowadays? Because to me, 4gb sounds fine if you're just a family, buying games on discs and having a few saves?
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2466-1970
NNID : TomBollandLTD

need. more. online. games.

#37 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

How much space do things like saved games and miis and so on actually us nowadays? Because to me, 4gb sounds fine if you're just a family, buying games on discs and having a few saves?

Judging from http://www.wiisave.com/index.php they seem to be about 150kb each. So assuming 200kb, and the 4GB is including all the account data and won't ever expand... You should be set.
Edit: Wait, I just found a Smash Bros one that's about 15mb. Yeah you should still be good. xD

Edited by Ixchel, 16 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Posted Image

#38 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

If you reckon you're not going to download any titles, just buy the disc and save games etc; then fine. If you want to download numerous apps, and full games/ arcade games you'd want to buy the larger GB Wii U, or get an external hard drive.

#39 BossFight

BossFight

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just to make it clear to anyone, in case it wasn't before:

The memory you will be getting with the Wii U is flash memory. In other words, it's a Solid State Drive (SSD).
While 8GB may seem small compared to what the other consoles offer, the reason for it is that SSDs are currently way more expensive than regular Hard Disk Drives (HDD).

Getting a 32GB console for $50 more (in the Americas at least) should be a no-brainer. You get more memory to play with that is WAY faster than HDD, so generally you store things on there that you'll use often and want speed from. (probably save files and the like, so saves and loads will be much faster, etc)

You're not supposed to store everything on the stock hard drives, you're supposed to buy an external with rainbowtonnes of slow space and use that.

Anyone thinking that they can live with the 8GB bundle and not have to buy an additional hard drive for the life of the console is kidding themselves, unless they never download a game ever.

#40 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

So if a 8GB wii u owner buys a cheap 32GB SD card to use with the wii u what can it store? Mainly wii game saves? Can the wii u run in wii mode for wiiware and virtual console games originally meant for the wii? If so I guess they can go on a sd card?

I'm not planning to download large games unless they are a good offer and don't really want to get an external hard drive. I was hoping just to supplement memory with a sd card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!