• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

We've heard alot about the Wii U's power but if you put it all together then it seems like the Wii U could be stronger then we think 0.o
"Regarding Zelda HD, Japanese developers said that it could not be replicated on other machines. It was made in a relatively short period, so Iwata feels that HD development will not be a problem." - Iwata, Nintendo.
"Dev kits are indeed underclocked and we have shipped in the new ones, but i believe that you've only seen 10% of the Wii U so far" - Reggie' Nintendo.
If 1/10 of the Wii U can easily do something the others consoles cant replicate then that means that the Wii U may be in a very good position when it comes to bieng outdated.

Edit: About the competition-
"We aren't sure but we probably won't make the Ps4 much stronger then the Ps3, the next generation will be about innovation and creative gameplay."- Jack Tretton- Ceo Sony
Who innovates more then Nintendo, and we all know microsoft won't be able to make a new console due to the kinect and if they have to then differences will be minimal. So it's like this
Kinect vs weak Ps4 vs Wii U

There you have it this console makes the others look like a wii. :3 Discuss

Edited by giggity3000, 30 June 2011 - 03:33 PM.

1367065580450s.jpg

#2 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

I am cautiously optimistic. We all know we are getting an HD Nintendo console. Most everyone is in agreement that it will be more powerful than PS3 and 360. The quote about 10% is a little unclear. 10% of the Wii U? What does that mean? Graphics? Functionality? Features? Also, 83% of statistics are made up instead of actually researched and confirmed. Chances are Reggie made up the 10% thing on the spot, but there is no doubt Nintendo fans are in for the most powerful console Nintendo has ever made. Let's hope Nintendo can sway a few other gamers as well.

#3 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

I am cautiously optimistic. We all know we are getting an HD Nintendo console. Most everyone is in agreement that it will be more powerful than PS3 and 360. The quote about 10% is a little unclear. 10% of the Wii U? What does that mean? Graphics? Functionality? Features? Also, 83% of statistics are made up instead of actually researched and confirmed. Chances are Reggie made up the 10% thing on the spot, but there is no doubt Nintendo fans are in for the most powerful console Nintendo has ever made. Let's hope Nintendo can sway a few other gamers as well.

10% of what it's capable of. Not of Graphics, functionality or features specifically, but everything in general. So far it is is basically a PS3/360, so it seems to indicate that it's 10x as powerful than them, perhaps more so.

The biggest thing here though is that they say Zelda HD isn't possible on the other consoles. What does this mean? Well, it excites me. Can you imagine a Zelda game with graphics better than PS3/360? I mean, compare the N64 Tech Demo to the Ocarina of Time. The tech demo looks terrible in comparison. Take a look at the Gamecube tech demo then look at Twilight Princess. The improvements are outstanding. Now look at the Zelda HD tech demo. If Armogohma makes an appearance in game, I'd be fairly disappointed if I can't see the hairs on it's body.

Edited by Dementis, 30 June 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#4 Coller23

Coller23

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Every nintendo series, touhou

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

This is pretty awesome.
Don't cry over spilled milk, it will be yogurt tomorrow

#5 Axis Magnus

Axis Magnus

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

I don't think it'll be THAT powerful but I'm sure it'll powerful enough. Nintendo always tries to adopt affordable tech and I think that's the direction Sony and Microsoft is heading as well. I think we may see all 3 future systems on par in terms of specs.

#6 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I don't think that the Wii U is 10x as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3, otherwise it would be ridiculously expensive and Nintendo try to make their consoles affordable. I do think it will be considerably more powerful than the current consoles though.

#7 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

I don't think that the Wii U is 10x as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3, otherwise it would be ridiculously expensive and Nintendo try to make their consoles affordable. I do think it will be considerably more powerful than the current consoles though.

10x probably wouldn't be that expensive now-a-days, they could probably pull it off. Even if it isn't 10x PS3/360, it's more than 10x the Wii, and that's a big gap.

#8 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

We all know it will be more powerful than whats available right now. I'm still concerned about the next gen console from the competitors. believe me these developers with all their respect for nintendo will have no problem leaving them behind. "IF" microsoft and sony comes out with hardware that just can do things Wii U cant... developers will flock to them and create content and engines that work for those console.

#9 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

We all know it will be more powerful than whats available right now. I'm still concerned about the next gen console from the competitors. believe me these developers with all their respect for nintendo will have no problem leaving them behind. "IF" microsoft and sony comes out with hardware that just can do things Wii U cant... developers will flock to them and create content and engines that work for those console.

I edited the 1st comment check it out.

1367065580450s.jpg

#10 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

In saying 10%, Reggie was either not referring to raw horsepower OR had no idea what he was talking about. I think it's the latter. Remember, he has no background in video games -Reggie is just a marketing guru. After replacing Kaplan in their marketing department he took the place by storm. NoJ decided he would be a great "front man" for America, and he is. But he's still just a marketing guru, and his FAVORITE pastime is spinning words and making crap look like gold. He happens to be good at it.

10% in terms of features? Developer support? Games they have in the works? He knows it could be anything -so he spat out a figure that you can't possibly disprove, that still got his point across, which was simply "there's way more to see down the road."

Wii U cannot possibly be "ten times" the power of the current gen, regardless of whatever technological advancements or reduced costs anyone points out. The notion that Nintendo would bother with such power is silly; that the console is HD at all is like the second-coming to Nintendo fans. Don't they need room for improvement for the Wii U's successor?! Trust me, it will not be ten times the current gen power. To say double the power is a HUGE stretch.

With that out of the way...

Sony is right. I hadn't heard it would be unlikely that they'd provide much more power in PS4. Finally they say something smart! Next gen will be all about content, services, and unique hardware capabilities; NOT hardware capabilities in terms of raw performance numbers. We're reaching parity in that area.

Considering those comments, Sony will clearly go for a different draw with PS4. And sorry, a controller with a touch screen in it is not very hard to emulate...nor to top. Anything can happen.

Microsoft could simply release a new system that drastically improves specs while using existing Kinect hardware. A cheaper upgrade for people who already have a Kinect sensor, whereas Nintendo and Sony will have a higher minimum cost of entry.

Despite being annoying lately, I love Nintendo and have never purchased a Sony product (I did eventually cave in and got a 360 for Rock Band). Don't get me wrong, I root for Nintendo, but don't get cocky. ANYTHING can happen here.

#11 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

In saying 10%, Reggie was either not referring to raw horsepower OR had no idea what he was talking about. I think it's the latter. Remember, he has no background in video games -Reggie is just a marketing guru. After replacing Kaplan in their marketing department he took the place by storm. NoJ decided he would be a great "front man" for America, and he is. But he's still just a marketing guru, and his FAVORITE pastime is spinning words and making crap look like gold. He happens to be good at it.

10% in terms of features? Developer support? Games they have in the works? He knows it could be anything -so he spat out a figure that you can't possibly disprove, that still got his point across, which was simply "there's way more to see down the road."

Wii U cannot possibly be "ten times" the power of the current gen, regardless of whatever technological advancements or reduced costs anyone points out. The notion that Nintendo would bother with such power is silly; that the console is HD at all is like the second-coming to Nintendo fans. Don't they need room for improvement for the Wii U's successor?! Trust me, it will not be ten times the current gen power. To say double the power is a HUGE stretch.

With that out of the way...

Sony is right. I hadn't heard it would be unlikely that they'd provide much more power in PS4. Finally they say something smart! Next gen will be all about content, services, and unique hardware capabilities; NOT hardware capabilities in terms of raw performance numbers. We're reaching parity in that area.

Considering those comments, Sony will clearly go for a different draw with PS4. And sorry, a controller with a touch screen in it is not very hard to emulate...nor to top. Anything can happen.

Microsoft could simply release a new system that drastically improves specs while using existing Kinect hardware. A cheaper upgrade for people who already have a Kinect sensor, whereas Nintendo and Sony will have a higher minimum cost of entry.

Despite being annoying lately, I love Nintendo and have never purchased a Sony product (I did eventually cave in and got a 360 for Rock Band). Don't get me wrong, I root for Nintendo, but don't get cocky. ANYTHING can happen here.

I know that it doesn't mean it's 10x stronger. I'm saying that if the Wii U has only shown 10% of itself and it already looks incredible then how good will the online be or how smooth will the games be in comparison to the others when it comes first party games.

1367065580450s.jpg

#12 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

I don't even think it really looks all that incredible already. They showed off a Zelda that could have been done similarly on PS3 and the same New SMB game...that looked like its DS predecessor to begin with. I don't like the system itself because the emphasis will supposedly be on only using one new controller at a time.

Fact is, even if they showed five AAA titles and he said we've only seen 10%, it would still be true because there will be hundreds of games over the life of the system. Without any given context, his comment is totally meaningless lol.

#13 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

I don't even think it really looks all that incredible already. They showed off a Zelda that could have been done similarly on PS3

Oh boy another one.
"Regarding Zelda HD Japanese developers have told me it can't be reproduced on other machines."-Iwata

1367065580450s.jpg

#14 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Are people morons?
"Regarding Zelda HD Japanese developers have told me it can't be reproduced on other machines."-Iwata
Surely that's proof that the Wii U is MORE POWERFUL THAN THE PS360!!!!!!!!! Can everybody get that piece of information into their tiny little brains?!?!?
It is not 10X's the power though, I'd say the Wii U is probably about 50-90% more powerful than the PS360, going in line with what we've seen (the mario game was just an HD port/upscale of the wii game however, being a tech demo that doesn't matter). When I first saw the Zelda HD trailer I instantly noticed that the graphics were better than anything I'd ever seen before...
Bring the noise.

#15 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

I don't even think it really looks all that incredible already. They showed off a Zelda that could have been done similarly on PS3 and the same New SMB game...that looked like its DS predecessor to begin with. I don't like the system itself because the emphasis will supposedly be on only using one new controller at a time.

Fact is, even if they showed five AAA titles and he said we've only seen 10%, it would still be true because there will be hundreds of games over the life of the system. Without any given context, his comment is totally meaningless lol.

Similarly, of course, the same, nope. How many games on 360/PS3 are in 1080p and how many graphical effects can they actually pull off when they do?

So yes, the existing consoles could probably pull off a similar looking game but only at 720p. That the Wii U does it at 1080p meaning its pushing 4x the data, not to be sniffed at.

Fact is, you can't make statements like "its 2x the power, 4x the power" because technology just doesn't work like that. The GPU could be pushing 4x the data but the CPU might still be weaker than the PS3/360, which would mean you have to make sacrifices to maintain those graphics, sacrifices in game play.

Personally, I suspect the Wii U CPU to be as powerful or slightly better than the Xbox 360 but the GPU to be considerably more powerful. That would mean games will look a lot better, but the overall games themselves won't be a huge jump as AI, physics, etc will still be limited to what the PS3/360 can do. Although that is not all bad, it seems that games lately are more RAM and disk space limited than actual CPU power. That I believe is why Nintendo can make the Wii U awesome while keeping it a profit making console from day one.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#16 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

As Alex noted (thank you), I did not say it could be done on PS3, only similarly. I also agree about the predictions: it's very likely that the IBM processor will be similar to the 360s with a buffed up clock speed, but not that much greater. Meanwhile the graphics hardware will be way nicer. Not nice enough to notice a big difference, but enough to keep it all going at 1080 nicely, and to handle the controller's video feed as well. I just really wonder about how much RAM though, they really need 1 gig at a MINIMUM. I'm so afraid I'll eventually find out it's 512 (or some funny number in the 700s -Nintendo likes to do that).

I never suggested that Mario Bros. represented the Wii U's full capabilities. The point is, what does it represent? Nothing. They toss together a nice looking Zelda demo, I'd say that's predictable. It was beautiful, but really, what's the big deal? I thought Zelda was beautiful at Spaceworld 2000 too, and we know how that turned out.

I'm not saying the Wii U will be bad, but it's done nothing so far to show me that it'll be good. I really think we all need to calm down and not get too excited. They really need to prove the strength of this platform and I'm not seeing it yet.

#17 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Man these threads are really starting to chafe me.... Alex and Aaron (above) know what they're talking about, so people need to read their posts and be DONE with the nonsense talk about non-facts and pseudo-figures like the "10% of its potential" and the "50% more powerful" statisto-babble. People are really running with those figures in completely nonsensical directions and it is not contributing to REAL conversation about the system's ability!

#18 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Narc. Being called out to have a little brain by a penguin boasting a shotgun, I was starting to second-guess myself. Well okay, not really...but thanks anyway :D

#19 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I think it's time to lock this. We've reached a conclusion here: the 10% figure Reggie quoted was a marketing spin, and people are misinterpreting it as him telling us we've only seen 10% of its power. I don't think the discussion is really gonna go anywhere intelligent from here. If someone has anything to add, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!