• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

''In a phone interview with CNET, Reggie Fils-Aime said that the Wii U sold 400,000 units during its first week in the US, according to Nintendo’s internal data.

“Wii U is essentially sold out of retail,” Reggie said, “and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock.”

A total of 1.2 million hardware devices were sold by Nintendo last week, including 300,000 Wii consoles, 275,000 DS devices, and 250,000 3DS. Nintendo has often seen a significant sales boost during the week of Black Friday, and this was no exception. This week’s sales represent a 100% increase for the 3DS, and a 500% increase for the DS from last week. When asked about the higher DS sales numbers, 10% higher than the 3DS, Reggie explained that retailers offered significant deals for their older system.

Reggie says that Nintendo is currently working hard to replenish retailers, hoping to avoid the sorts of shortages that plagued the launch of the Wii six years ago. Expect to see more Wii U’s hitting store shelves as the holiday season ramps up.''

The Wii U Rises!

Edited by Etkar, 26 November 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Great! Good to see units of all hardware increase as well.

#3 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Not bad its not as high as the wii was its first week but still not to shabby .

#4 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Great! Good to see units of all hardware increase as well.

What's wrong with your face? Why are you covering up your mouth?

Also this is great news. I see great things coming from the console, and am glad to be an early adopter.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

wats rong wit u dood. srsly. leik its all the time STOP COVERING UR MOTH

gawd...

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

400,000 is good but its certainly not great and to an extent disappointing for first week sales of not only a new console but the first console of the next generation. Lets hope it does well in the rest of the world and picks up more momentum.

#7 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Considering its NA alone, its not that bad.

2lvmghw.png

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hoew does that compare to other consoles NA 1st week sales?

#9 MyNameIsMatt

MyNameIsMatt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I don't think this has the grasp of the Wii. I played one game of tennis on wii sports and I wanted one straight away. The Wii U will take more getting used to the concept, I think.
I reckon it's more a case of asking friends if they are good, or trying it at someone else's house. Think it will carry on growing over time and when a big(ger) Nintendo game comes out that'll be a catalyst.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

400,000 is good but its certainly not great and to an extent disappointing for first week sales of not only a new console but the first console of the next generation. Lets hope it does well in the rest of the world and picks up more momentum.

The fastest selling console of all time only sold 200,000 units more at a hundred dollars less.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Not bad at all considering its only been released in one country and not to mention the vast amount of units they will sell during the holidays.

Not bad at all considering its only been released in one country and not to mention the vast amount of units they will sell during the holidays.

#12 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I think this is USA + Canada only
Posted Image

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Figures seem pretty positive to me especially with some negative news stories here and there about bricking and freezing. Its a time of recession with a lot of people struggling financially. I think it would have been a very different story if they had launched after christmas. Nintendo have done well so far.

The current generation of consoles have all done well in numbers with all above 70 million and wii close to 100 million but only Nintendo made a profit on their console. Basically Sony and Microsoft have subsidised their consoles. Microsoft wouldn't have long term if its wasn't for RROD.

I think it will be much more difficult for Sony and Microsoft to launch their next consoles. They will either have to subsidise again which isn't something Sony can afford to do or they will need to cost down their hardware. If they launch at higher prices than wii u despite a superior specification I think they will struggle badly.

£180 in 2005 had the spending power today of £210. So £30 has been lost due to inflation. Chinese manufacturing costs have increased as wages and conditions have improved other there. I think if they come to market at £300-350 next year that will still be a difficult price for many. Anything above that price will be suicide really however good their consoles.

#14 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Pretty good sales, glad to see the Wii U is selling well in it's first week.

Looking forward to seeing what the sales next week will be.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#15 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Not bad at all ! These numbers are skewed though - look at it this way - my local Gamestop said they alone had over 100 people on the waiting list. If Nintendo had the supplies we would of most likely seen a much higher number. Same goes for any other system - initial sales only partially shows how well this sold. The Wii didn't have more systems in retail till after Christmas almost - so if the Wii U can be restocked continually through the holiday - then the overall sales within the final 2 months can be much higher than the Wii was ..along with other systems.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#16 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

^^^ What he said lol, Pretty much spot on.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I wanna know why my post was deleted I was only joking, it was a Batman quote, I MEAN REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I wanna know why my post was deleted I was only joking, it was a Batman quote, I MEAN REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what did ya say?

#19 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

The smartest move they made was selling it when they did. And it shows.

Also this is great news. I see great things coming from the console, and am glad to be an early adopter.

Move your hands away from your eyes... you might see why the boy is forced to cover his face!

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Only 400,000? Seems underwhelming.
*preparing for flame comments*

Okay well, it's pretty good still but I expected more from the launch of a new Nintendo console.

Edited by Keviin, 27 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!