GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yep. Tweet from guy that revealed Wii U CPU specs.

"If you want more evidence that MHz isn't everything, a little birdie points out that Durango (Xbox 720) is specc'ed to have a 1.6GHz CPU"

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThxGOAT?p=s
Sorry if link doesn't work from my phone.

#2 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

That doesn't surprise me at all. Everyone's thinking that Nintendo went with a lower clock CPU because of cost. I think that it's because of reliability concerns, and because the inclusion of GPGPU + DSP. I think you have to look at the big picture.

Edited by Bunkei, 01 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#3 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

720 cpu 50% slower than the 360 , oh boy MS dun goofed

Edited by Stormage09, 01 December 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

If this is true (and I hope it is) , it will shut up a lot of Nintendo haters as to why they chose the specs they did. Although they will still find something to hate on. Either way - its been said a lot but GPU is where its at - and the GPU in the Wii U is great. People expecting the next gen sony and microsoft systems to be 10x more powerful than the Wii U is sadly mistaken - at most it will be 2-3x more tops..if at all more powerful.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

new tech so it does compare to the old xbox. it will be faster
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#6 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Well you can't believe rumors.

Edited by Emblem, 01 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

new tech so it does compare to the old xbox. it will be faster

Its a rather hefty number of cores jaguar from the leaks. So yeah, it will destroy xenon in every category but simd/floating point.

But it doesnt change the fact it will have the same amount of trouble with lazily porting 360 games thanks to its 'horrible slow processor'.

Edited by 3Dude, 01 December 2012 - 06:44 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

HA! amazing no one is mentioning this stuff on neogaf. when Wii U shows a slow CPU its end of the world. When 720 is rumored to have one OH its new architecturenit will be ok.

#9 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

The expresso rumors about the Wii U were true.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#10 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

HA! amazing no one is mentioning this stuff on neogaf. when Wii U shows a slow CPU its end of the world. When 720 is rumored to have one OH its new architecturenit will be ok.

I saw a few people on gaf mention it. Neogaf is highly overrated in my opinion though.

The PS4/Omni/Whatever will be only slightly stronger than the Wii U, and the Nextbox will be slightly stronger than the PS4. I'm calling it now.

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

The expresso rumors about the Wii U were true.

Some rumors are true most aren't. That's all I'm gonna say.

#12 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

That doesn't surprise me at all. Everyone's thinking that Nintendo went with a lower clock CPU because of cost. I think that it's because of reliability concerns, and because the inclusion of GPGPU + DSP. I think you have to look at the big picture.

Amen.

If this is true (and I hope it is) , it will shut up a lot of Nintendo haters as to why they chose the specs they did. Although they will still find something to hate on. Either way - its been said a lot but GPU is where its at - and the GPU in the Wii U is great. People expecting the next gen sony and microsoft systems to be 10x more powerful than the Wii U is sadly mistaken - at most it will be 2-3x more tops..if at all more powerful.

If the original 8 core rumor holds to be true, even if some cores are dedicated to Kinect 2.0, Xbox clones will say oooh it's more powerful.

In truth, if MS chooses AMD for both processor and GPU, which was one choice, then I doubt it will be more powerful. AMD has been struggling against Intel to remain relivant. I doubt it will be more powerful than the Wii U Espessio CPU. But the GPU could be, which is what would matter.

Its a rather hefty number of cores jaguar from the leaks. So yeah, it will destroy xenon in every category but simd/floating point.

But it doesnt change the fact it will have the same amount of trouble with lazily porting 360 games thanks to its 'horrible slow processor'.

The ports will probably start on The Wii U, and ported to the new systems if they are smart. Completely ignore the older systems.

It won't happen with all the games, but at least some of the main ones.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#13 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

If that big leak a couple days ago holds true (In that the Nintendo is banking on developers stinking with upgraded current game engines rather than completly new ones) then the Wii U will be incredibly successful. If there's a massive push towards new game engines then we could see issues.

#14 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Nevermind nintendo, This Whole Console Generation is Doomed!

(assuming, of course, this reins true.)

Edit: Interesting news indeed, but not surprising. Expect very close numbers for console hardware. It should be very similar to how 6th gen turned out in console specs. Remember the last "big leap" in graphics was 3D in the 90's, so it makes sense why this gen will follow a similar curve with moderately better, but no huge step forward like with HD.

Edited by blu gamepad, 01 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#15 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

If that big leak a couple days ago holds true (In that the Nintendo is banking on developers stinking with upgraded current game engines rather than completely new ones) then the Wii U will be incredibly successful. If there's a massive push towards new game engines then we could see issues.

I don't know. Current game engines depend on the CPU being clocked higher, and it would be better for engines to be based on better GPGPU's and less CPU dependent. I could be wrong though.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Nevermind nintendo, This Whole Console Generation is Doomed!
(assuming, of course, this reins true.)

It is true and nothing is doomed. The lower clock speed doesnt matter because the instructions per clock is much higher.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Take that Nintendo haters *evil laughs*

#18 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502294

#19 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

no dudes are you crazy? GHZ is the most important thing, pentium 4 at 4GHZ is obviously way more powerfull than a 2GHZ i7, dont you see it ? one 4GHZ the other only 2 omfg
Posted Image

#20 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

no dudes are you crazy? GHZ is the most important thing, pentium 4 at 4GHZ is obviously way more powerfull than a 2GHZ i7, dont you see it ? one 4GHZ the other only 2 omfg

i hope you're using a ton of sarcasm there.
the GHZ dont mean much nowadays.
I by no means know why this is, i just know that the efficiency is way higher.

i can quote this guy, who seems to understand it though :

"Well, first of all, the architecture of the chips are different, and clock by clock the i7s are much faster than the old pentium 4s. "

Second, the i7s are a quad-core processors which means it has 4 physical cores compared to the single core of the pentium 4. Having multiple cores help a lot in multi-tasking (with a good amount of ram)

Also, why the i7s are so expensive is because of Intel's fairly new technology called hyperthreading, which basically enables multi-threaded software apps to execute two software threads in parallel to decrease the amount of time it takes the app to execute.

I haven't even gone through the technology like turbo boost and the differences in the chips' caches, but you should get the general idea. "

quoted from : (http://www.tomshardw...tium-intel-core)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!