• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

one i7 cpu clocked at 1.2ghz is faster than a pentium at 4ghz... Wii U is proved to use a slightly improved with more cache wii cpu (that means a bit out of date)... so if xbox or ps4 come with about the same clocks as wii U, we need to see the chipsets....

also never forget that xbox and ps4, rumored to use x86 based cpus and not IBM, this time... so its a different architecture to (less programming)

I see pc as a winner in all that... pc is x86 based technology and till to date, all games are optimized for ibm cpuz... cause of 360.

My only concern about wii U vs 360 is...

360 use 1 core for the games and the other 2 goes, 1 for the OS and 1 for the sound. Because 360 is the only console that does NOT have dedicated sound chipset.

we dont know yet, how many cores are dedicated for the games on wii U... if its 1... hmmm... 1 for the controllers, 1 for the OS and 1 for the games (?)...

Or if wii U controller does not drain cpu power, 2 for the games and 1 for the OS... I dont know.... So if someone says... 360 got 3 cores at 3ghz.. it is actually 1 core for the games....

Edited by Orion, 02 December 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#42 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Perhaps that 1.6Ghz rumor is only pertaining to the cheaper Xbox TV model? The core edition probably will higher clock speeds, if not, who really cares?

#43 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Here are quotes from the Iwata Ask on Wii U console regarding the CPU.

"So I myself have been happy to see how far game consoles have come. I hope people will be impressed by the types of software enabled by the CPU
It turned out to be a CPU without any strange habits—one that runs just the way you expect".

Sorry if you guys don't but I have more faith in Nintendo than random Neogaf posters. Seriously they have 30 plus years. If they say the harware will be capable of runnig powerful engines and that developers have to optimized engines for the architecture I'm fine with that. I have faith in nintendo... They don't say things about harware just for PR like a sony does. I believe when next gen is over people are gonna be praising nintendo for what they created with the Wii U... Small, efficent, powerful designed machine.

Edited by GAMER1984, 03 December 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#44 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

The GPU in the PS3 came out in 2006, the one in the Wii U came out in January of 2010.

That is not true. THe RSX in the PS3 is based off GeForce 7800 Series, which was released in Aug 2005. The Wii U was released at LEAST Feb 4 2010, with the Evergreen Family of ATi chips. However, there were rumors the GPU was actually based off an AMD Radeon E6760, which was released last year and is capable of DirectX 11 (I know Nintendo doesn't use that). Obviously, as the RSX was highly customized from the source, so would this one be too. So, that is about five generations, at least, maybe six. Which means the PS3 shouldn't be able to touch Nintendo's Wii U graphically, once developers start to make actual next gen games.

And yes, Unreal Engine 4 should run fine on the Wii U. If it can run on an iPhone, with a less advanced processor and GPU combo, it can surely run on the Wii U. Whether or not Epic is going to port it would be another question all together -- they may not want to. Which is clearly what it sounds like to me.

Anyway ...
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#45 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Ive played the 720 and ps4 it nit much dofferent at the mo to current systems

are they Bio-machines like the wii u? or something like terminators

Edited by Stormage09, 03 December 2012 - 06:11 AM.

Posted Image

#46 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

That is not true. THe RSX in the PS3 is based off GeForce 7800 Series, which was released in Aug 2005. The Wii U was released at LEAST Feb 4 2010, with the Evergreen Family of ATi chips. However, there were rumors the GPU was actually based off an AMD Radeon E6760, which was released last year and is capable of DirectX 11 (I know Nintendo doesn't use that). Obviously, as the RSX was highly customized from the source, so would this one be too. So, that is about five generations, at least, maybe six. Which means the PS3 shouldn't be able to touch Nintendo's Wii U graphically, once developers start to make actual next gen games.

And yes, Unreal Engine 4 should run fine on the Wii U. If it can run on an iPhone, with a less advanced processor and GPU combo, it can surely run on the Wii U. Whether or not Epic is going to port it would be another question all together -- they may not want to. Which is clearly what it sounds like to me.

Anyway ...

Ah, I looked up the PS3 GPU and it said it was based off (whatever it was called) and on wikipedia it said that that GPU family was from 2005-2006. I gave Sony the benefit of the doubt and said 2006. Guess I was wrong though. But yeah, Wii U is much more powerful than PS3, I agree with you.

#47 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ah, I looked up the PS3 GPU and it said it was based off (whatever it was called) and on wikipedia it said that that GPU family was from 2005-2006. I gave Sony the benefit of the doubt and said 2006. Guess I was wrong though. But yeah, Wii U is much more powerful than PS3, I agree with you.

Realistically, any console's componets are mainly going to be finished within a 4 to 10 month window, probably before that. Because developers need time with final hardware. As we saw with the Wii U, they started with the HD4xxx Series and ended up with something similar to the end of life HD5xxx or a HD6xxx Series, which is very good.

:) But as long as you believe the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3, I don't care lol jk.

#48 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Realistically, any console's componets are mainly going to be finished within a 4 to 10 month window, probably before that. Because developers need time with final hardware. As we saw with the Wii U, they started with the HD4xxx Series and ended up with something similar to the end of life HD5xxx or a HD6xxx Series, which is very good.

:) But as long as you believe the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3, I don't care lol jk.

So since it's been out for a couple weeks is there any more information on what exactly the GPU is? I read somewhere that the specs match a 5k.

#49 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

So since it's been out for a couple weeks is there any more information on what exactly the GPU is? I read somewhere that the specs match a 5k.

The latest rumor, although I can not find where I saw this, was it was in a late model HD5xxx Series. I always thought it would end up being a Northern Island model (HD6xxx Series) but the Evergreen Series isn't bad (it is capable of DirectX 11, so fairly modern).

#50 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

The latest rumor, although I can not find where I saw this, was it was in a late model HD5xxx Series. I always thought it would end up being a Northern Island model (HD6xxx Series) but the Evergreen Series isn't bad (it is capable of DirectX 11, so fairly modern).

What we need to know is the amount of ROPs, TMUs and shaders. ROPs, TMUs and shaders tend to be the whole picture in addition to clock speed in GPU performance. In fact, should they do so, I can post a Wikipedia page others made showing everyone a comparison.

#51 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

I don't care.
Game won't look or play better on either console unless the developers of the game get their heads out of the clouds.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#52 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

What we need to know is the amount of ROPs, TMUs and shaders. ROPs, TMUs and shaders tend to be the whole picture in addition to clock speed in GPU performance. In fact, should they do so, I can post a Wikipedia page others made showing everyone a comparison.

If we new what retail card it is similar or based of, we would have a better idea of those numbers.

#53 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

The GPU power is pretty moot, as what people forget is that its easy for a GPU to become CPU bound if the rest of the engine isn't optimised well enough.

For example, there is no point in a GPU that can render hundreds of characters on the screen, if the CPU cannot handle the AI for that many characters.

Like others have said, I'm sure the Wii U is capable, but only if the developers make the effort to get the best out of the different CPU architecture.

You also cannot really compare the PS3 GPU to anything else, as the PS3 CPU was designed to offload some of the GPU processing (pretty odd really as its kinda the like the reverse of GPGPU). That is why PS3 exclusive games can have such amazing graphics compared to multi-platform ports.

The same stands for the Wii U right now though, as current consoles were not built for GPGPU so games ported from PS3/Xbox 360 are under-performing on Wii U. However the next Playstation and Xbox WILL use GPGPU, so even if they have to scale back the games to port to Wii U, they should be considerably better than current ports.

Looking at the current games on Wii U I'm SURE they are scaled back due to time constraints for launch. The lighting is not all that great, and if there is one thing that should be day/night different between current consoles and Wii U its the post-processing and lighting effects the much newer shaders should be capable of.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 04 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!