Photo

New Super Mario Bros. U Reviews

New Super Mario Bros U Reviews

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: New Super Mario Bros. U Reviews (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Your score:

1. 1 (2 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 5 (1 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

6. 6 (2 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

7. 7 (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

8. 8 (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

9. 9 (20 votes [37.74%])

Percentage of vote: 37.74%

10. 10 (11 votes [20.75%])

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

I am not going to lie to you guys, I like the New Super Mario Bros. series. And the series has impressively been able to get better with every single entry. However, with New Super Mario Bros. 2 coming out the same year as New Super Mario Bros. U, I was worried that it would get old. Thank goodness I was wrong!

Presentation:
You know the story, I do not need to explain it. The only difference is that Bowser takes over the castle, a bit different from the other games. That is not really a big deal though. The music is a bit different, but is not the complete revamp that a lot of people want but it is still a very good soundtrack and is only improved with the baby yoshi's that sing. The graphics are good, there is not a huge change from the other games but everything looks much more clean and crisp. However, the level based on the painting "Starry Night" is absolutely beautiful.

Gameplay:
If you have played a game in the New Super Mario Bros. franchise, you know how it plays. However, the game seems to be harder than all of the others, providing a nice challenge almost right off the bat. A difference between NSMBU and NSMB2 is a spin that can be done by shaking the controller, or pressing any of the shoulder buttons on the gamepad, that can give a slight boost to your jump. The overworld is very nice and is based around Super Mario World's overworld. The new challenge modes are great and makes for an excellent diversion from the main story, they are difficult and provide more longevity. The other modes are more of "party modes" but are still very fun to mess around with.

Overall:
The game is great and should be something that every Wii U owner should look at when considering Wii U games.

9/10

Edited by SolxBurst, 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.

• Doc likes this

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#2 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I gave it a 9, it's the best Mario Bros in a long time.

#3 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Agreed with 9/10. Great entry in the series and my favorite Mario game other than NSMB2 on the 3DS. The only drawback I can think of is the inability to play 2UP with a gamepad and one wii remote. You have to have 2 remotes to play 2UP, the only thing the gamepad is used for in multiplayer is boost mode. Caught me off guard yesterday when I bought a remote just to find out I needed to buy another one, though boost mode is quite fun and challenging in its own way.

#4 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'll give NSMBU an 8/10. It's not the Mario title I'm waiting for, but it's still a pretty fun and enjoyable game.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#5 Spinal

Spinal

Blooper

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I gave it a 10, i found it to be exacly what i wanted when i bought it and more.
Posted Image

#6 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have yet to play it, but a 9 seems a very legit score. It seems like the best 2D Mario game since SMW(2), and that means something.
No sig.

#7 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I was actually surprised at how good NSMBU was. I liked the original DS one, then the Wii one came out and it was average at best. By the time the 3DS one was released, I grew bored with 2D Mario games in general. They all felt like rehashes, but NSMBU was a great platformer. When it was first revealed, I was annoyed that they threw out all of these Mario games when they could've used the effort to make a 3D adventure. While I still feel that way, I enjoyed playing through NSMBU. I'd personally give it an 8.5 for being creative and adding a little bit of difficulty (because all of these games are WAY too easy.) What would've made the game perfect is if the bosses were harder and took more than 3 simple hits to kill them. Honestly, every single boss fight was a joke.

#8 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Intro:This is the first Mario title since N64 (Super Mario 64) to be released with a New Nintendo Console at launch. This is the 4th entry into the New Super Mario Bros. Franchise first in HD.

Posted Image

Story:Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad 1 and Toad 2 are having what appears to be Brunch (if I had to guess lol)at peach's castle. While at the table out of no where the castle comes under attack by Bowsers' ship followed by his children in their own ships. Moments later a giant mechanical Bowser hand appears over the table moves peach over then proceeds to punch Mario and company down. After that they are scoped up and thrown about 237 miles away (i base that distance on absolutely nothing) from the castle into an acorn tree. Now how Mario and Company survived the situation is beyond me however this is why he is called Super Mario lmao,this is where you will begin your quest. This time the princess was not kidnapped she is captured in her own castle that has been taken over by Bowser (that's the difference storywise lol). It is you goal to defeat all of the Koopalings as well are Bowser Jr. You got a long road ahead its time to get it started!

Gameplay and Controls:Like on the Wii Version of this game you can play alone or with some however on Wii U up to 5 players can play at the same time (4 WiiMotes and 1 gamepad) The control in regards to how you use the WiiMote is the same from the Wii Version nothing new there. The one player on the gamepad can place blocks, hit "some" enemies to help the others out, and from time to time on the gamepad screen you will see a star if you tap it you can kill all enemies on the screen by tapping them. Gameplay is on point responsive pretty much what you expect them to be with these Mario games. The powers up are all back from the Wii Version with the addition of the Squirrel suit. The New power up is useful and fun to use! While traveling thru the worlds you will come across baby yoshis that will help they come in 3 colors. Yellow, Blue, and Pink'ish lol. The Yellow ones are used to light up dark areas, Blue ones blow bubbles, and the Pink'ish ones inflate to help you get coins that maybe out of reach or to get over long gaps. Also Yoshi "green" same powers nothing new with good old Yoshi lol!

Graphics and Presentation: Graphics look GREAT on the Wii U! Mario in HD doesn't disappoint. The Backgrounds look great clear crisp huge improvement over the previous entries in the New Super Mario bros franchise. Layout level wise is your typical Mario Map you have your levels and bonus houses also some obstacles along the way. Main menu is easy to navigate with the gamepad or WiiMote. You have your main story Mode with 3 save slots you can play solo with the gamepad or wiimote you can also play with friends all using wiimotes. You have boost Rush Mode where you collect coins to speed up the level and try to beat it as fast as you can each coin rush consist of 2 levels each. The more coins you collect the faster the auto scroll goes you try to get your best time. You also have challenge mode (my personal favorite) has a variety of challenges time runs, Coin collecting, 1-up rally, special, and boost mode. Lastly you have coin battle which is a version of boost mode one player has the gamepad the others use wii motes. In all these mode you can use Mii Characters in story mode you can not.

Sounds:Music is your typical "Mario" type music like all Mario games. Music sounds great from the gamepad of thru the tv speakers. Doesn't get repetitive and is fitting to the situation your in and levels your playing thru you also have some classic Mario themes re mastered.

Multiplayer:This is where the game becomes MOST frustrating and fun at the same time. Imagine this you have 4 players at the same time running thru a level trying to reach the end jumping all over each other dying while your trying to help them via the gamepad. This was my first experience with the game it was madness!!! I've already mentioned all the modes in the game with friends it can be fun and challenging. Even playing one player and having a friend play on the gamepad putting blocks to help you along the way is fun. Typically I use the gamepad to help cause when my gf does she places blocks and screws me over with them lmao. However playing on the gamepad while u have 4 players with the WiiMotes playing on the big screen is just epic and a must have experience on the gamepad.

Posted Image

Conclusion:When I first heard about the game I wasn't overly excited about it since I had played previous games in this series. When I saw the video from e3 2012 of the game I thought it looked great graphic wise. I bought the game new for 40 bucks so I figured why not. Once I got to spend alone time with the game I really started to enjoy it. I've spend the most time in challenge mode its been addictive! If you have me on Mii Verse I'm continuously playing the game posting up shots of in game action. Any player at any skill level can pick up this game and play which is nice. Playing solo on the gamepad is comfortable surprising given the size of the gamepad. I've mostly played on the gamepad while my gf is watching one of her shows really speaks more on the gamepad than the game really. I would def recommend this game for any Mario fan this is one of the standout titles for the wii U at the moment even when you beat the game there is more to do this game will keep you busy for hours. I was expecting the game to be just ok and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The gameplay is tight, the visuals are beautiful, and music is great as well everything comes together well.

+ Great gameplay and controls
+ Addictive challenge mode lots of replay value Solid game!
+ Looks amazing Mario in HD!!!

- Don't like the fact when playing 2 players you both have to use a Wiimote and gamepad can only be used for placing blocks
- Second NSMB title released in the past 4 months series is starting to feel like they are over doing it with the series
- Lack of online play

DeviousOne's Score

8/10 Worth a purchase and play thru you wont be sorry.

Posted Image

Username on MiiVerse: DeviousOne

Edited by DeviousOne, 16 December 2012 - 08:23 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I still feel like online would be way too confusing.
I feel like multiplayer needs to be played in the same room.

#10 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

New Super Mario Bros. U

Opening:

'New Super Mario Bros. U' is in an interesting dilemma, as it is another title in the "New" Mario series which just received another entry this very year on the 3DS. This has given a few people bad impressions of the game from the beginning because really, what's new? Luckily for us, however, the game is much less of another entry in the series, and more like a new game.

Basics of NSMB:

The game still carries out like the other 'New Super Mario Bros.' games. Princess gets kidnapped, you have to save her, the usual. The controls are also very familiar, being derived completely from 'New Super Mario Bros. Wii' with the Wii Remote being held sideways, NES style (the 'shake' command can also be used by tapping the triggers if you are using the Gamepad, which may I add, can only control Mario in single player, otherwise it is just to use Boost Rush when playing multiplayer ). As a whole, everything feels the same in the control and story department, and this is probably for the better as the controls are quite smooth.

New Things

So what sets 'New Super Mario Bros. U' apart from DS, 2, and Wii? There's actually a reasonable enough number of changes to make the game feel fresh. The first, most obvious thing you will notice when starting the game is that this time it takes place in one intertwined map 'Super Mario World' style. This, while not actually a giant change, makes the world feel bigger. Secret exits which generally lead to a secret level, seem much more common because of this, with every world having at least one "extra" level found by utilizing them.

Returning to the game are the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Ice Flower, Mini Mushroom, and Starman (as do the Propeller Suit and Penguin Suit, but only in the final world of the game), oh, and so does Yoshi! There is no Giant Mushroom in sight this time, which may be unfortunate to some. It also brings a new power-up to the table in the Squirrel Suit, which is very reminiscent of the Raccoon Suit from 'Super Mario Bros. 3' in a way (there is also a 'P' version of it which is like the P-Wing - also from the same game). On top of this, it also brings new "power-ups" to the table in the form of Baby Yoshis. You carry them much like you would a Koopa Shell, and shake the Wii Remote to active their special skills. There are three different types of Baby Yoshi:

Pink, which inflates like a balloon, allowing you to traverse levels where falling is death much safer.
Blue, which spits bubbles that capture enemies, turning them into bubble-trapped coins for you to collect (you can also jump on them if you so desire).
and Yellow, which emits light in dark areas such as caves. This lights them up so you can see in a much wider radius, and dazes enemies if used near enough.

You can find the former two on the overworld map, allowing you to bring them with you to most any stage (they sit back on the Castle stages). The yellow one however is only found in levels it would be practical to be used in. After passing any level with your overworld obtained Yoshi they will be following you again on the map to be used in another stage. If you lose them in the stage though you will lose them and must wait until you find another on the world map, or they respawn in their original place.

As well as the new Squirrel Suit, there is a new "mode" in the game titled 'Boost Rush.' Despite the term however, it is not actually a whole new mode, and is rather what the Gamepad player will use when playing multiplayer. When this mode is active (you activate it by tapping anywhere on the screen) you can place blocks into the game by tapping on-screen where you want to place them. Doing so will materialize a block wherever you tap. This can allow even faster coordinated speed runs, or simply let the player wreak havoc, as you may place them quite literally anywhere they can fit. Also added is,

Challenge Mode

Now on to arguably the biggest addition introduced in this game: Challenge Mode. Actually, it's nothing more than the name states, a myriad of trials. But don't let that fool you, it really is a huge addition once you start playing as it is challenging and as such, addicting! There are five different categories in this mode:

Time Attack, where you race to the finish line as fast as possible.

Coin Collection, where you collect as many coins as possible in a certain setup, though some have you do the complete opposite and you must avoid coins!

1-Up Rally, where you must rack up as many lives as possible in different settings. It may be a matter of wall jumping to combo a bunch of Dry Bones, or gliding with the Squirrel Suit to combo Koopas.

Special, which can range from dodging fireballs for as long as possible, to dodging everything in a stage be it Bullet Bill's, fire bars, or coins.

Last but not least, we have Boost Mode. These challenges typically rely on one user playing as Mario, and another placing platforms for him to jump on. Platforms are generally omitted from the challenges as to make Boost Platforms mandatory.

So what pulls all of these together? They all have a medal system. There is a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal for most every challenge (some simply have Gold since it's either win or die), and every one has a different criteria to achieve. They are all quite simple; Time Attack requires you to reach the goal within a certain time to get Gold, Coin Collection requires you to collect a certain number in the stage set up, etc. However simple though, these are also what makes this mode challenging. If you want the Gold you will have to play near perfectly in many of the challenges, so in the end this mode adds many hours of content and replayability into the game.

Also falling under the Challenge Mode category are Boost Rush Packs. These are nothing more than stages put together in a pack much like 'New Super Mario Bros. 2's DLC packs. However, they are all set to auto-scroll like an athletic-type stage and the speed rises as more coins are picked up. The boost blocks in this mode also emit coins when stepped on within a certain time-frame as to get you to max speed even faster.

Stage Design and Visuals:

I do believe that this deserves its own section, as the stage design in this game is simply brilliant. You still have a few bad apples here and there, but for the most part the stages are always fun and have a nice, smooth flow to them. You will not play ten stages and be bored because they are too tedious or too much alike, as each one feels new compared to the last. This is a very welcome improvement over that of this year's 'New Super Mario Bros. 2.'

The visuals are amazing for Mario, as they are truly HD for the first time. However, there appears to be a shiny plastic coat over everything in this game. Mario almost looks like he's radiating light at times. But this is rather nitpicky. The backgrounds are nice and detailed for the most part, but do not vary from stage to stage. Most worlds carry two or three backgrounds and stick to those throughout the 6-8 levels in said world. All-in-all, I believe that the graphics are amazing, but do not hold a great "Wow Factor" after the first hour of the game.

Closing:

Well, that wraps up my review on 'New Super Mario Bros. U' for the Nintendo Wii U. The game is most certainly not perfect, but I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for new games for their new console. For that matter, I would recommend it to anyone with a Wii U as it really is a quality title that packs a good amount of content for the price. Until we meet again,

-Chris

-------------------------------------

Apologies if it seems sloppy in some parts, I am open to all constructive critique. Let me know if anything needs fixed, or simply discuss anything you disagree with via PM. Thank you!

#11 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

It be nice to have the option to game online. The closet thing would be the ratchet and clank series on Ps3 you can play online with others its fun! With a mario game it obviously be better lol
Posted Image

#12 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I really like the formatting you have here. I also enjoy that this seems more like a human looking at the game and talking to you (or us) about it, and not just reviewing it to do so - something I lack the ability to do completely haha. While scores aren't my thing I would probably say it's worth more of a nine myself, 8.5 if we're being more technical. It's also a good thing that you mentioned the two-player issue in which you must both use Wii Remotes; I haven't seen a single review here that mentioned that. Oops. You could use a bit more grammar since this is a review and not just a regular post, but this is just me being nitpicky.

I must say that I agree with your review on most points however, and look forward to seeing your opinions on other games if I need them.

Edited by ChrisD, 17 December 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#13 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

I really wanted to avoid being too formal with the review. You can just go to IGN or another site to get that lol. I do my own graphics on my reviews most of them are on another forum we do them for all consoles I have about 2 3ds ones paper mario and mk7..

I couldn't give it a 8.5 simply because it was a safe game for nintendo they really didn't push boundries or bring anything drastically new to the series

Ill be doing. Nintendo land and a Wii U deluxe hardware review in the near future I want more time with both
Posted Image

#14 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Awesome review dude :D

#15 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks broski!
Posted Image

#16 Greenleaf

Greenleaf

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

I'm spoiled by "Super Mario World". Yes, that's right, the SNES title that is still considered by many to be one of the best video games on any platform ever!

Looking at the new Super Mario, I first felt like: okay, a bunch of mass-produced soulless levels plus high-resolution plasticky graphics. Enough to say you've finished the product, but not enough to say you've created a masterpiece.

Playing through the first few worlds, two things come to mind: first, the levels are boring and the bosses are exactly the same all the time. And I don't like the Yoshi's Island -music and theme. They should have chosen Super Mario World or created something new altogether. The second though was: it keeps getting better and better! And the puzzles like catching the thief are a nice addition.

Multiplayer: fine, but harder than single player, because you constantly bump into your friend. This means you can't play this game with a very young player, because he/she will ruin your game. Games such as Trine you can mostly play fine even if the other player's skills don't match yours. In New Super Mario Bros Wii U, you get very frustated if the other player doesn't have the required skills.

I gave a score of 7, which I think reflects my feeling about the game: nice game, but somewhat bland. Nothing original.

#17 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

7 out of 10 for me overall even though i love playing it,its basicaly just a wii game in hd,no more no less and it does nothing to show the wii u off,mario on the 3ds is better imo both graphically and gameplay.

#18 Mc_Boing

Mc_Boing

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I like the game but the players not being transparent can mess you up sometimes in multiplayer. Also maybe I have missed it but I would like to be able to play on the gamepad while my 6 year old uses the wii controller. Because this game gets pretty hard for a six year old.

Edited by Mc_Boing, 28 December 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

#19 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

i gave the game a 10 its exactly the game i wanted it to be and it looks great plus the platforming is genuinely fun.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#20 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

So here's my review, it's New Super Mario Bros Wii with updated graphics, although worse than I expected, the levels are too short and easy, boost rush and challenge mode are a complete let down and recycled music drives your head in. This game is not worth a pick up at full price if you have the other ones and anyone who says otherwise is probably a fanboy or kidding themselves. Another thing, GET THAT GOD DAMN "NEW" OFF THESE GAMES, THEY'RE OLD, STALE AND BORING NOW!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Super Mario Bros U, Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!