• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Brumfc4life

Brumfc4life

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

I have been reading that people have been complaining about slow load times, i don't think they are slow at all, i remember when i had my amstrad 464 and had to wait for my tape to load the game, or when i had an atari and had to type the code in for a game to worj. Now that was slow, somin other wors people relax and dont want everything straight away good things come to those that wait. Rant over lol

Also dont type on ipad spelling is wrong
Username brumfc4life

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

POPULAR

ikr kids are spoiled these days.

-Back in my day we didn't have days, we just had nights, and it was always snowing.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

POPULAR

Brumfc4life - glad you're content with load times that were acceptable 2 decades ago. But most of us are not, we have phones/tablets/computers that load menus instantly, why shouldn't we expect the same from a gaming console? There's no excuse for the slow load times.
Posted Image

#4 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

i dont think the loading times are extremely slow. I do notice they are a bit slow sometimes, but not slow to the point where it annoys me

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I have been reading that people have been complaining about slow load times, i don't think they are slow at all, i remember when i had my amstrad 464 and had to wait for my tape to load the game, or when i had an atari and had to type the code in for a game to worj. Now that was slow, somin other wors people relax and dont want everything straight away good things come to those that wait. Rant over lol

Also dont type on ipad spelling is wrong

Well my friend - while I agree its not nearly as slow as loading up an old Apple 2 or anything ...it still is fairly slow at opening and closing games/applications compared to todays standards. It doesn't bother me enough to constantly complain and not play my Wii U...but its very noticeable.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

The question we should be asking is why is it slow -- bad programming? Or is it the CPU low clock speed? Or something else?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#7 chipy

chipy

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

yea cant complain here, can remember my spectrum having 20 min load times, only to crash and have to start again.
those were the days lol
J1zzyT1ssue so add me for a game

#8 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

ikr kids are spoiled these days.

-Back in my day we didn't have days, we just had nights, and it was always snowing.

And you only got one present for Christmas. And your parents always made you give your favorite present to the poor.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#9 SNES

SNES

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

The question we should be asking is why is it slow -- bad programming? Or is it the CPU low clock speed? Or something else?

It's programming. The complaints about the slow OS and freezing didn't start until after the day 1 patch. The machines had been with various game media persons for months with no problems. The Wii U OS is far more sophisticated than the Wii's OS was. The speeds will improve eventually. We'll have to see how aggressive they are about squashing problems like this, which I think they will be considering this is now their flagship device.

That said, unlike other devices, I'm not constantly flipping around from one application to the next, and my load times aren't really that long as to be unbearable. Then again, I grew up during the adoption of CD's as a gaming format, and by god those load times were atrocious, easily a minute or more in some of the worst offenders. One of the reasons why many gamers don't notice long load times in most games today is due to learning from that era, and now load times are masked under technologies like streaming. If anyone remembers Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (an amazing game btw, hopefully it gets a reboot), it was one of the first games to feature a large world with almost no load times, which was unheard of in the Playstation One era.

Edited by SNES, 04 December 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#10 the world ends with me

the world ends with me

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

i've noticed my load times have actually gotten a bit better. of course, loading things like Miiverse and the eShop can be attributed to my internet speed. but games and menus have gotten better for me. not great, but better.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I agree, my OS and games are super fast, and I've not had one single freeze, money well spent for me!!

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I agree, my OS and games are super fast, and I've not had one single freeze, money well spent for me!!

You must have a different Wii U from everyone else then. Lots of people both regular consumers and game journalists have reported how slow the OS, load times and downloads are. It's the same for me and its both ridiculous and inexcuseable in this day and age when most other devices are much faster in all these areas.

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

You must have a different Wii U from everyone else then. Lots of people both regular consumers and game journalists have reported how slow the OS, load times and downloads are. It's the same for me and its both ridiculous and inexcuseable in this day and age when most other devices are much faster in all these areas.

I'm bieng 100% honest, my Wii U has been faster than my 360, played AC3 for 11 hours today, not one freeze, me and my fiancee love it :D

#14 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm bieng 100% honest, my Wii U has been faster than my 360, played AC3 for 11 hours today, not one freeze, me and my fiancee love it :D

Then you're easy to please. My PS3 and my Xbox 360 are overall both far speedier then my Wii U. I'm not the only one complaining about how slow the Wii U is and yours is the same as everyone else's.

#15 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

You guys do know the Wii U has the fastest disc read speeds of any console in history don't you? We should be seeing much faster load times for Wii U.

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Then you're easy to please. My PS3 and my Xbox 360 are overall both far speedier then my Wii U. I'm not the only one complaining about how slow the Wii U is and yours is the same as everyone else's.

How on earth would you know, my Wii U is awesome end of story and I'm not easy to please at all I'm very criticle on consoles VERY, people like you seem to forget how MUCH worse the 360's and PS3's launch was.

#17 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

How on earth would you know, my Wii U is awesome end of story and I'm not easy to please at all I'm very criticle on consoles VERY, people like you seem to forget how MUCH worse the 360's and PS3's launch was.

Like I said if you're blinded by your experience on the Wii U then so be it. You act like everything is perfect and fine and dandy when its not. Thats just ridiculous considering that the Wii U and the experience of isong it is far from perfect. If people don't voice their criticisms then nothing will get fixed. Not to mention the PS3 and Xbox 360 launches were no where near as bad as the Wii U launch. Anyway I've made my point.

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Like I said if you're blinded by your experience on the Wii U then so be it. You act like everything is perfect and fine and dandy when its not. Thats just ridiculous considering that the Wii U and the experience of isong it is far from perfect. If people don't voice their criticisms then nothing will get fixed. Not to mention the PS3 and Xbox 360 launches were no where near as bad as the Wii U launch. Anyway I've made my point.

Oh yea remember the PS3's drought of games and the whole RROD fiasco, I know people to date who have got through seven of the buggers, they were HARDWARE FAULTS, the whole bricking of the sytems is due to people turning off the Wii U and not using common sense, loads of gadgets brick these days if you do that, the freezes are SOFTWARE PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE FIXED IN A PATCH, get your facts straight.

#19 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Actually, the Xbox 360 OS (dashboard) was VERY fast at launch, some of the games loading weren't that good though.

RROD was not a launch problem as it wasn't really known until a year later which is why people were upset, as it was AFTER their warranty had expired.

The problem is that the Wii U whatever its CPU specifications, WILL be (technically) faster than the fastest smartphone today. Going from app to app, section to section is stupidly slow considering that.

Its not alone however, the PS Vita is annoyingly slow for its specifications too. I suspect its the same problem, its been written too modular so when going from one section to another, its actually a whole new app leading to excessive loading.

The Xbox 360 on the other hand at launch has a completely integrated seamless OS, which sadly has become less so over time as they ran out of space for all the features in RAM and the firmware.

I expect the new Xbox to be faster than ever so Nintendo really need to sort this out. With 1GB available to the OS there is no good excuse for delays when switching between sections of the core OS (the Xbox does better with around 32MB). I should be able to go between the friends list, Miiverse and web browser instantly.

As for game load times, I only have Nintendo Land and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Both of those seem pretty reasonable at loading.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 04 December 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#20 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

While the Wii U's OS is a tad slow, it's greatly exaggerated by a few people.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!