• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

One thing I disagree about that last sentence is the assumption that there is something more out there, or that we need it. What we have in the natural world is inescapably breathtakingly beautiful and whilst i'm not against searching for more (in fact i'm for it) I don't assume that there is or isn't more.

I belive there is something out there just not a "God" the statistics show that there has to be theoretically, on the other hand we might just be unique though. All the more reason we should be trying to survive instead of killing ourselves we can be so primative sometimes. Completly unrelated but in the video game Mass Effect the whole of the worlds government united under one called the Alliance, I chuckled to myself at first but then I thought what would it take for that to happen in real life, but then I laughed again because at the moment something like that is likely never to happen, the world we live in I will feel so sorry for my children and grand children, heck my parents already feel sorry for me.........

#22 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Like I said in the other thread, I care more about a person's individuality than their beliefs or background.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#23 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Please respond to my actual points without simply failing back on "you have to respect my faith". The fact of the matter is I don't have to respect your faith anymore then I have to respect the sports team you support.

--x--

Of course not, of course it is only for the church and god to pass judgment. :P

The text in bold contradicts with the statement you gave the mod. I understand you don't have to respect the faith in which I devote myself to, but I did ask you respect my belief in my faith, did I not?

--x--

In the respect of Christianity, the bible explicitly says that as a Christian, it is arrogant to think we are higher than those who do not believe and we do not carry the right to pass judgement. (Romans 3:09-3:19) Seeing as how churches are houses of devotion that are being run by humans, this undoubtedly refers to them as well. What a shame that the people I tell this the most to, are in fact, Christians who claim complete devotion.

On a side note: You quoted things I stated in another topic. I ask that you please keep thread statements in the thread they were stated in as it derails the thread we are currently viewing (if this sounds as confusing as it did while I was typing it, I am so sorry...).

Edited by Noonabites, 12 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#24 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

cool

I personally, follow the teachings of John Lennon.

You sir are a genius i shall follow him as well

wjapt2.jpg

#25 Chaotix

Chaotix

Team Nerd

• Section Mods
  • 728 posts
  • NNID:Chaot1x
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I agree Hunter and oh btw you know you guys are getting laughed at by the ppl on the 3DSF atm and thought I just tell u guys.

eEG8Ies.png

#26 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

I read everyones view on this. All I can say is, funny. I don't have a problem with any religion as long as it's not forced onto me, but I can't follow the bible. From what I've read in the bible, it can contradict itself at times and some of it's teachings are just wrong. Besides, the bible was written for men by men. As a previously stated in the atheist thread, I am agnostic and will remain as such until someone proves that there is a god. Unfortunately no one can prove that and no one can disprove it so I will remain agnostic.

#27 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm Christian, but don't care much for church and such, it kinda bores me.
Spoiler

by chance

#28 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I also worship my body.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#29 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

The text in bold contradicts with the statement you gave the mod. I understand you don't have to respect the faith in which I devote myself to, but I did ask you respect my belief in my faith, did I not?

Before telling people to respect your "belief in your faith" you may want to make sure you know what the word faith means first. Faith require there to be a belief. So you can't have a faith in something that isn't based around a belief, hence if I don't respect your faith by definition I can't respect your "belief in your faith".

As for the so called contradiction, the fact that stating one doesn't have to respect your faith doesn't mean they do or don't respect your faith (it is simply a statement, and one that was trying to spark a better argument then "respect my belief in my faith" although I have yet to come across one). I later then clarified that I don't respect you faith and once again that there is nothing wrong with that. There is no contradiction there.

To put it simply:
- one doesn't have to respect another persons faith
- one doesn't have to respect the reasons for that faith (which is circular logic as faith is the reason for ones faith)
- one does have to respect ones right to have that faith

As for posting in the wrong thread, I apologize, I am notorious for doing that (although I try not to). :)

I also worship my body.

We all worship that.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 12 December 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#30 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

I agree Hunter and oh btw you know you guys are getting laughed at by the ppl on the 3DSF atm and thought I just tell u guys.

lulz, making fun of people for what exactly?

#31 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Discussing religion most likely, which seems to get the banhammer on sight over there.

AuzzieWingman.png

#32 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Before telling people to respect your "belief in your faith" you may want to make sure you know what the word faith means first. Faith require there to be a belief. So you can't have a faith in something that isn't based around a belief, hence if I don't respect your faith by definition I can't respect your "belief in your faith".

As for the so called contradiction, the fact that stating one doesn't have to respect your faith doesn't mean they do or don't respect your faith (it is simply a statement, and one that was trying to spark a better argument then "respect my belief in my faith" although I have yet to come across one). I later then clarified that I don't respect you faith and once again that there is nothing wrong with that. There is no contradiction there.

To put it simply:
- one doesn't have to respect another persons faith
- one doesn't have to respect the reasons for that faith (which is circular logic as faith is the reason for ones faith)
- one does have to respect ones right to have that faith

By definition, you can respect my personal beliefs in anything whatever you may want to call it. Respect doesn't mean you have to agree. Though, rereading back on it, I think tolerant is a more fitting word and I apologize for not using it.

Most are tiptoeing around a debate not because we can't or refuse to argue, but to avoid this sort of discussion getting out of control (which was already beginning to). You want a debate for the sake of proving someone wrong not for the sake of discussion. Confirmation bias won't allow this to become a respectable discussion but rather back and forth rants on why one is right and one is wrong (and there's nothing you can do about it... eh heh)

In response to the italics, I understand your sentiment and will not argue. "I will respect members and their beliefs in that religion" is very different from "I respect a members right to hold a belief in any religion", I stated what I did because of this. Hope you understand where I was coming from.

--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--

- one doesn't have to respect another persons sexuality
- one doesn't have to respect the reasons for that sexuality
- one does have to respect ones right to have that sexuality

I changed what you previously wrote (obviously) and I apologize. Just wanted thoughts on this. Most would argue that when you deem something wrong, that you hold a bias against anyone who commits those wrongs. So can what is stated in the italics exist when it comes to something as one sexuality, what most believe to be "human nature"; something you can't help? Or can it exist when one truly believes that it is choice? Meh, just thoughts.

Okay, one thing to discuss is the idea that all Christians fit some mold. I don't. I listen to uncensored Slipknot and follow only about half of the rules of the Bible. And seeing how others have responded here, it seems that this gamer forum is pretty much the same way.

Another subject to discuss is the subject of gays. I have no opinion on the matter but I am a Christian who has also risked being bi. Not with anyone on these forums, but with an older guy I was attracted to. Does religion prevent me from being gay? It might, actually. I might want to try to stay completely straight because of religion, although I don't deny anything. Like I have admitted before to friends that a video game character who was male was attractive.

Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, and Romans 1:26-27 all denounce homosexuality. However, it's also apparent that a lot of what is spoken in the Bible is incredibly influenced by the time period in which it was written in. (For instance, in Leviticus, it's spoken that if a woman is raped, she must marry the man who raped her. It sounds cruel and horrible by modern standards.. and it is, but at the time, a woman who wasn't a virgin was considered "dirty" and "unfit" therefore the marriage would "spare her", due to the emphasis society placed on marriage). The bible is... quite the controversy.. isn't it?

We were all made in the image of God. Sinners, believers, nonbelievers were all made in his image (Gen 1:27). And that image is love (John 4:08). This was always the same constant no matter what the book. So that being said, no, I do not think your religion prevents you from being gay. If that is what you truly believe to be your sexuality, then let it be. Just remember to pray and stay devote to God, above all else.. ask for forgiveness for any sin you may have committed knowingly and unknowingly.

#33 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

i don't know how to interact with fundamentalists.

#34 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

All this religion talk reminds of that muslim guy a while back who wanted all of Australia to submit to Sharia Law or something.

I know some Muslim guys who basically:

Posted Image

Yeah, that guy had to be high.

AuzzieWingman.png

#35 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

How about one thread on religion rather than multiple...?

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#36 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

If you want I could change the title to "Religion" or something like that, and see how it goes...

And... I fixed it.

Edited by PotatoHog, 13 December 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#37 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

If there is enough support for a theism thread or combined threads, it will happen(EDIT: I guess Potato changed it). Although the atheism thread seemed to be for Zinix to understand why people became atheists, as opposed to arguing about religion.

#38 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

By definition, you can respect my personal beliefs in anything whatever you may want to call it. Respect doesn't mean you have to agree. Though, rereading back on it, I think tolerant is a more fitting word and I apologize for not using it.

Most are tiptoeing around a debate not because we can't or refuse to argue, but to avoid this sort of discussion getting out of control (which was already beginning to). You want a debate for the sake of proving someone wrong not for the sake of discussion. Confirmation bias won't allow this to become a respectable discussion but rather back and forth rants on why one is right and one is wrong (and there's nothing you can do about it... eh heh)

That's the 'beauty' of faith. It doesn't matter what is said, because if one has faith they are willing to ignore evidence and therefore neither side can win an argument in terms of the others pov (as one side says look at all this evidence and the other says I have faith and thus funnily enough means the person of faith was never discussing anything). Once again though, i'm not trying to change anyone's opinion and have not said anything that would suggest I am.

In response to the italics, I understand your sentiment and will not argue. "I will respect members and their beliefs in that religion" is very different from "I respect a members right to hold a belief in any religion", I stated what I did because of this. Hope you understand where I was coming from.

--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--

- one doesn't have to respect another persons sexuality
- one doesn't have to respect the reasons for that sexuality
- one does have to respect ones right to have that sexuality

I changed what you previously wrote (obviously) and I apologize. Just wanted thoughts on this. Most would argue that when you deem something wrong, that you hold a bias against anyone who commits those wrongs. So can what is stated in the italics exist when it comes to something as one sexuality, what most believe to be "human nature"; something you can't help? Or can it exist when one truly believes that it is choice? Meh, just thoughts.

One is allowed to hold bias, in fact I would go as far as to say everyone does. One is allowed to hold any opinion they so wish (and it would be very amusing for a religious person to suggest otherwise, although they often do).

Another example is those who do not believe evolution is real are ignoring the overwhelming evidence supporting it and thus cannot respect the work countless have done in discovering how we have evolved. Therefore they cannot respect evolution or the reasons (evidence) that supports it. One has the right to that belief no matter how absurd it may sound.

To actually further the discussion, for those who are religious what made you become religious and more importantly why did you 'decide' on the religion you have? Also to make answers interesting please do not use the words faith or belief (or similar) for your reasoning. This may sound unfair, but in anything else you can't just say "I like it because I like it" and expect to be taken seriously (plus it is a given that your faith is what causes you to be religious).

I would also ask the reverse but the answer is obvious, either one wasn't truly religious to begin with or they no longer had faith (usually as a result of actually paying attention to what evidence there is). If you have another reason for no longer being religious please do share. :)

We were all made in the image of God. Sinners, believers, nonbelievers were all made in his image (Gen 1:27). And that image is love (John 4:08). This was always the same constant no matter what the book. So that being said, no, I do not think your religion prevents you from being gay. If that is what you truly believe to be your sexuality, then let it be. Just remember to pray and stay devote to God, above all else.. ask for forgiveness for any sin you may have committed knowingly and unknowingly.

Give me one reason that is not based around belief as to why one should take this anymore seriously then what is in any other religious book or beliefs about the spaghetti monster.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 14 December 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#39 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

We should be laughing at them with their overly strict rules.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#40 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

We should be laughing at them with their overly strict rules.

Hahahahah... we arent supposed to kill people or rape people or lie or steal... hahahahaha God is such a tyrant. ahahaha... those rules are so strict its hilarious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!