#1 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Televisions are designed to work with a limited range of RGB numbers; 16-235. This means that anything black is output at 16, and white is at 235 RGB.

Monitors on the other hand are designed to work with the full 8-bit RGB range, which is 0-255. 0 being black, 255 being white.

Both limited and full versions look identical as long as both the source and screen have the same setting.

When connecting a Wii U to a monitor, you need to make sure you change the HDMI RGB color range on the monitor it self to 16-235 as this is what the Wii U setting is default at. I tested this and can confirm that the 16-235 setting has more contrast and the colours are richer.

For monitors that dont have the HDMI Colour range change option, Hopefully Nintendo will release a hotfix much like Microsoft did for the Xbox 360 to enable the colour range to be changed in the console's menu.

NINTENDO Wii U ID = Skywalkman-GB

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#2 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I didnt have to do any of this. I just plugged in my HDMI cable and set it up HDMI input and my monitor was displaying Wii U.

#3 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

yes it will display the wii u, mine does what ever setting, BUT monitors are default 0-255 rgb range because thats what computers use, But consoles however are designed to be used with tv's, and seen as tvs standard is 16-235. that means the wii u has been defaulted to that.

So if you are connecting your wii u to a computer monitor, to get the BEST picture possible, you need to set the rgb range on the monitor to 16-235 to match the wii u's. If you dont, you will have washed out colours and blacks and whites wont display as they are supposed to.

Edited by Skywalkman-GB, 12 December 2012 - 08:57 AM.

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#4 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm not convinced the washed out colours are related to the Limited RGB output at all. Why? Because no matter what settings I try on my TV the Wii U always looks washed out compared to PS3, Xbox 360, SkyHD, Sony Bluray player, my PC.

Netflix by far looks the worst, its totally unwatchable to me. ZombiU also looks quite washed out, but that might be intentional as it even seems a bit washed out (though not as bad) on the GamePad.

Interestingly of all is that LoveFilm appears to be the only thing that looks normal, perhaps a little too dark actually. It makes me wonder if perhaps the issue is fixed in a newer version of the Wii U SDK (as LoveFilm was the last thing to be released on Wii U) and that all the older apps/games just need patching with the new version to fix.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 12 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#5 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Washed out?! I don't know but the colors looked fine to me!
WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#6 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

if your monitor has the hdmi rgb 16-235 option, try it, you will see instant results

Posted Image

#7 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Like I said, I don't think its the RGB issue while games are only slightly washed out, Netflix is HUGELY washed out.

Also I tried switching the Black Level between High/Low on my TV and I already had it on Low for all my other equipment, I could only make it MORE washed out or a duller, but still washed out picture, by fiddling with that and the brightness, etc.

I'm confused why so many people are claiming "its fine for me", because its a HUGE difference compared to every other device I own. Like I said, LoveFilm on Wii U is fine, so I highly suspect its a Netflix app problem.

That said, I always felt the cinema was too washed out, much preferring HDTVs which can have much lower black levels, higher contrast. This improved with digital projection though.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 13 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!