Photo

Anyone else having this problem with their gamepad LCD screen?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Not sure if this due to weather changes or what but theres strange watermarks under the lcd screen. Kind of looks like when you push in on an lcd screen monitor or like that glare gasoline gives off the ground if that makes sense. Kind like a strange chameleon color look.

Anyone one else having this show up on their lcd screen? Wondering if this goes away or what?

I already returned my wii u once(glad i didnt buy anything from eshop yet) and i opened this one and just checked the gamepad quick without leaving fingerprints. I saw what I described above on the screen and just quickly packed it back up.

Hoping this is a temporary thing that happens to the screen otherwise its going back to the store.

Seems like quality control isnt that great at the moment with the gamepads at least. I've had dust marks on the glossy finish and other things like the gamepad protective foam had a hole in the middle and the gamepad had a mark on it. It came off though.

#2 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I already returned my wii u once(glad i didnt buy anything from eshop yet) and i opened this one and just checked the gamepad quick without leaving fingerprints. I saw what I described above on the screen and just quickly packed it back up.

You opened a brand new never opened up Wii U? If so what your describing may be the plastic they put on electronic devices to help protect them.

#3 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

You opened a brand new never opened up Wii U? If so what your describing may be the plastic they put on electronic devices to help protect them.

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about.

Posted Image

found a thread on neogaf which stated its from humidity and that it can be dried out. So I put it up to my heater on high setting and its starting to dissapear.

So anyone else with this issue put a blow dryer or heater next to it and it should resolve your problem. Just from humidity.

#4 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Ah, so you took it out hardcore, by the way you made it sound you were only taking a peek. (Also, I asked this silly question because in the past I have had people not even know they could remove the plastic film on their other electronics). Yep, that right there does not look to good. No one used harsh chemicals on it or spilled anything on? Because that sort of looks like what can happen and warranties can be void from some companies due to this. If it is a local store (non-electronics based overall) they may just take it right back due to no kind of store policy with no questions asked.

What amazes me is Nintendo makes these boxes where you can easily slip the stuff all back in and slide it right back out. No bloody sealing tap on the taps either. You could have even got one that the store put right back on the shelf from a return and not really know it. (Of course, this is if the person takes the time to make it look like new on putting it back in the box) (Shrugs)

So anyone else with this issue put a blow dryer or heater next to it and it should resolve your problem. Just from humidity.

Be real careful with a hair dryer as it could cause damage. Use it on low and possibly cool blow to be on the safe side. As far as humidity goes, if you get it that bad to effect your electronic devices in your house hold, it may be time for a dehumidifier.

Edited by UnholyVision, 15 December 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#5 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

found a thread on neogaf which stated its from humidity and that it can be dried out. So I put it up to my heater on high setting and its starting to dissapear.

i should also add, the last one i returned has this problem as well. It was much worse than this one. Strange thing is it didnt have the prolbem for like 5 days and then out of no where appeared all over the screen. Must be something with climate change.

well i decided to start opening up the packaging covering the console itself and started to notice the plastic films that cover the ends of the console look like they've been put back on, and theres a bunch of dust and bigger particles.

This is making me very mad to the point where I just might wait to get another one.

Im definitley bringing that back to target and getting store credit.

does anyone remember the plastic packaging for the manual being sealed? I thought it was like that on first one i got. This manual isn't sealed.

Ah, so you took it out hardcore, by the way you made it sound you were only taking a peek.

I initially took a peek. I found the picture I posted on Neogaf.

Edited by wiiufoo, 16 December 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#6 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

does anyone remember the plastic packaging for the manual being sealed? I thought it was like that on first one i got. This manual isn't sealed.

The bags around every cord, booklet, et cetera are not sealed. Nintendo seals nothing and could make it easier to swap out a console as I was saying before. (Not an utmost easiest thing to do, but not the hardest either). The only thing that is done for sealing per se is the plastic ties around the cords so they do not slide about.

#7 currysonic

currysonic

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Once you turn the screen on, it doesn't really show.

What you have there may be Newton Rings. The "gasoline" like mark you see is caused by interference between rays of light reflected by the top and bottom surface of the very thin air gap between the two pieces of glass. In Wii U case its one piece of clear plastic and glass. Although figure 1 shows an ideal situation- it gives you an idea of why Newton Rings form on the Wii U gamepad. Google Newton Rings for more images.

Posted Image

Figure 1. Basically the two bands of light interact with one another to form rings of light and dark areas, or rainbowy colours. This is because the light ray reflected by the flat pane of glass has to travel a further distance (Δy), and is out of phase with the light ray reflected by the curved glass.

Now why would the Wii U's gamepad do this? Well because of the nature of the resistive touch screen. Unlike capacitive touch screens which has two straight glass panels, resistive has one lower glass panel and the upper is a flexible plastic screen (In figure 2 it is Polyester). Like trying to stretch out a really big bed sheet with someone so its perfectly flat, the middle of the bed sheet will alwase be "domed" down due to gravity. My guess is that the Polyester upper screen (Assuming it is polyester, which is a plastic) domes downwards a little (due to gravity? electrostatic force? Not %100 sure.). The upper plasctic surface being curved and the tiny air gap underneith causes this circular interefernce pattern we call Newton Rings.

Posted Image
Figure 2. Wii U vs Ipad (I know the top sais figure 1 lol, just bare with me XD)

I don't know why the game pad has that particular pattern in that location, perhaps its wrinkles in the material or local depressions in that spot or maybe its humidity causing the material to warp (I'm not a materials expert). Most images and figures are highly idealized anyways, which means in nature it doesn't alwase appear as nice concentric circles, like figure 3.

Posted Image
Figure 3, Ta-Da!

Please excuse any bad writing and please feel free to criticise any bad science(science is about disproving a theory until you find one that can't be disproven!). This is just my theory on why there are "gasoline" marks, feel free to interject.

Also hot blowdryer and plastic isnt a really good match... seriously though you can only really see it when the pad isn't displaying anything, no biggy. I've been using mine like like that since launch, it really not noticeable in my opinion. The call is yours to make if you want to take it back, but I personally wouldn't try to fix it by heating or anything, it may warp the plastic top Resistive Screen surface (and void the warrenty).

***Update***
Heres a solution I found on Acer's phone website.

Newton rings on touch screens

Why do I see alternating light and dark rings on my touchscreen?

In some cases, you may see light and dark circles show up on a touchscreen. These circular reflections are called Newton Rings and do not have any effect on the proper functioning of the LCD panel or on the touch functionality.
CAUSE
Due to temperature or pressure differences, the film used for the resistive touch screen may not perfectly adhere to the glass layer of the LCD panel. This can cause reflections showing up as coloured rings.
SOLUTION
These rings go away as the panel warms up during use, and may return again when the system has cooled down. Their occurrence is a known limitation of the used technology and does not indicate a product defect.

Edited by currysonic, 16 December 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#8 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

well i decided to start opening up the packaging covering the console itself and started to notice the plastic films that cover the ends of the console look like they've been put back on, and theres a bunch of dust and bigger particles.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions as the plastic isn't exactly flush around the ends, I believe its to make it easier to remove.

The plastic also never guarantees dust free, its only to prevent scratches during shipping not dust. Its perfectly possible for dust to get on the console at the factory before they even put the plastic on.

The real question is, does the console work properly?

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#9 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Once you turn the screen on, it doesn't really show.

What you have there may be Newton Rings. The "gasoline" like mark you see is caused by interference between rays of light reflected by the top and bottom surface of the very thin air gap between the two pieces of glass. In Wii U case its one piece of clear plastic and glass. Although figure 1 shows an ideal situation- it gives you an idea of why Newton Rings form on the Wii U gamepad. Google Newton Rings for more images.

Posted Image

Figure 1. Basically the two bands of light interact with one another to form rings of light and dark areas, or rainbowy colours. This is because the light ray reflected by the flat pane of glass has to travel a further distance (Δy), and is out of phase with the light ray reflected by the curved glass.

Now why would the Wii U's gamepad do this? Well because of the nature of the resistive touch screen. Unlike capacitive touch screens which has two straight glass panels, resistive has one lower glass panel and the upper is a flexible plastic screen (In figure 2 it is Polyester). Like trying to stretch out a really big bed sheet with someone so its perfectly flat, the middle of the bed sheet will alwase be "domed" down due to gravity. My guess is that the Polyester upper screen (Assuming it is polyester, which is a plastic) domes downwards a little (due to gravity? electrostatic force? Not %100 sure.). The upper plasctic surface being curved and the tiny air gap underneith causes this circular interefernce pattern we call Newton Rings.

Posted Image
Figure 2. Wii U vs Ipad (I know the top sais figure 1 lol, just bare with me XD)

I don't know why the game pad has that particular pattern in that location, perhaps its wrinkles in the material or local depressions in that spot or maybe its humidity causing the material to warp (I'm not a materials expert). Most images and figures are highly idealized anyways, which means in nature it doesn't alwase appear as nice concentric circles, like figure 3.

Posted Image
Figure 3, Ta-Da!

Please excuse any bad writing and please feel free to criticise any bad science(science is about disproving a theory until you find one that can't be disproven!). This is just my theory on why there are "gasoline" marks, feel free to interject.

Also hot blowdryer and plastic isnt a really good match... seriously though you can only really see it when the pad isn't displaying anything, no biggy. I've been using mine like like that since launch, it really not noticeable in my opinion. The call is yours to make if you want to take it back, but I personally wouldn't try to fix it by heating or anything, it may warp the plastic top Resistive Screen surface (and void the warrenty).

***Update***
Heres a solution I found on Acer's phone website.

Newton rings on touch screens

Why do I see alternating light and dark rings on my touchscreen?

In some cases, you may see light and dark circles show up on a touchscreen. These circular reflections are called Newton Rings and do not have any effect on the proper functioning of the LCD panel or on the touch functionality.
CAUSE
Due to temperature or pressure differences, the film used for the resistive touch screen may not perfectly adhere to the glass layer of the LCD panel. This can cause reflections showing up as coloured rings.
SOLUTION
These rings go away as the panel warms up during use, and may return again when the system has cooled down. Their occurrence is a known limitation of the used technology and does not indicate a product defect.

awesome, thanks for posting that!

I wouldn't jump to conclusions as the plastic isn't exactly flush around the ends, I believe its to make it easier to remove.

The plastic also never guarantees dust free, its only to prevent scratches during shipping not dust. Its perfectly possible for dust to get on the console at the factory before they even put the plastic on.

The real question is, does the console work properly?

You're right. I brought the new one home today and the film coverings looked the same as last. What's strange is it was packed slightly different. There was green tape on the console holding all the ends together. The gamepads foam cover looked a little different.

So I guess not all will be alike.

This ones gamepad also had that water mark on the screen. So this is normal. Like people said on neogaf, this can be dryed out and will eventually go away.

#10 mjjferreira

mjjferreira

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

When i read this post i went and see if my gamepad has that mark...and it has. I am not worried at all. If i haven't read this post i probably never had noticed it.

It doesn't interfere in ANYTHING with the gamepad´s functions and screen appearance.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Mine's fine :D

I'm sorry I was short the other day OP, but your right when I turned off my GamePad today I saw the exact same thing O_O it's quite annoying actually once I wipe my screen though it goes for a bit though :D

#12 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

nope my pad is fine :) no marks at all on it.

#13 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Yeah mine is fine.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Problem, research and resolution.

What a good thread

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Screen protectors could keep this kind of thing from happening at any rate, couldn't they?

I noticed I have a few small marks on my screen as well, so I'm thinking a screen protector should help out at least a bit?

Edited by SDDMN, 26 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#16 Crimson_Engage

Crimson_Engage

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Mine has this too on some days and on others it doesn't. Not too worried about it.

#17 Reaver

Reaver

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I've seen this on an old mobile phone I repaired ages ago, it's where the resistive touch layer is in contact with the actual LCD. When I pulled the touch layer away, it went. Reseated it and it was fine but if I touched it in the area where it was, the water marking would come back. The problem was caused by the sticky foam strips that stick the two layers together. I bought some new foam strips and the problem was cured. not the easiest of jobs though parting the touch layer from the LCD.

It can be done, you need to heat it up to loosen the stickyness of the foam strips as they are mega strong. If you can live it it, I would suggest you do that or send it back for replacement if that's possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!