Photo

Valve Steambox Tech and speculation thread!

Valve Steambox 8th generation

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: STEAMBOX THOUGHTS (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the Steambox is a good idea??

1. YES!!! (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. I think it could be something, but it has a good chance of failing. (15 votes [51.72%])

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

3. WTF was valve thinking!?! It is stupid (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Will you buy it?

1. YES!! (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

2. Depends on how well they pull it off. (20 votes [68.97%])

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

3. Pfft, NO!! (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

What setting do you think it will be able to play Games??

1. MAXIMUM!! (3 votes [10.34%])

2. High (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

3. Medium (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

4. Low (3 votes [10.34%])

5. Xbox 360 style (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

you say you cant beat pc games lol, they still gunna cross port from the 360, and they arnt going to have zelda lol,

I dont think the spec is going to be as high as you think, simply because how would they fit it all in with the heat to consider have you seen the size of a cpu and the size of the sync and fan needed, have you seen the size of a graphics card, if they release a console sized box it will be a cheap pc for gamers, wont compete with proper rigs

LOL and they won't have Halo on Wii U. What exactly is your point? Everything has it's labeled, "Only for Device Here" titles. Everyone has a preference and this guides us to what ever. Not everyone likes the same games.

You do know they make some decent integrated graphics these days right? (Like this) Not that big and runs great. As for heat of these desktop GPU's yes they get hot, but they are sort of designed for such heats and usually use a low fan speed by default (Of course the drivers do sometimes up the fan speeds when needed. If you are not forcing higher speeds such as say a AMD Overdrive or Nvidia's fan control). As far as CPU's go, my one build with an AMD FX 8150 (eight cores to deal with) runs on Artic Silver 5 and a stock fan at 35C idle and 40-50c under heavy load. Now say if they really wanted to go all out to lower heat, they could throw in some water cooling. Yet it is not like they need to go that far as long as the system has a good ventilation, look at some of these gaming laptops with two huge vents in the back with two laptop size HDD even.

No, you CAN'T beat PC exclusives, there's so many always releasing and so many top quality ones, why do you think that's funny? Zelda hasn't got crap on most of them, anyway. And I wasn't expecting it to be so powerful either.

PC Exclusives, console exclusives, and other mobile exclusives are all based on personal preference of what you like in games. As in terms of overall performance, no a console can not win.

Edit:
------ My Two Cents on the Subject --------
As far as the whole consolized PC goes, well I think it would be a good idea for money if marketed right. Something in terms of a dubbed down Windows 8 RT with a new GUI revolving around Steams or what ever DD services that takes the leap. Yet this kind of would get blown out of the water if and/or when cloud gaming comes into play. (Sort of like OnLive where the games are streamed to you).

If marketed right it could get some of those ignorant console games into playing PC games. When I say, "ignorant console gamers" I do not mean all, but the ones that go around spouting nonsense like, "PC gaming is dying", " PC Gaming is dead", or "I use to PC game but I had to upgrade every month to play the new games" without even playing a single game on the PC (other than maybe WoW or a lame GFW-L title). It would give them a consolized PC so they could play the games they never touched before.

Again this is if they marketed it like a console in a fashion it would not confuse people and the GUI was designed to be operated in a more robust way for say a controller. Considering most of these people that would buy this likely do not make their own builds or are console gamers uninformed in areas and/or like controllers better.

Edited by UnholyVision, 17 December 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#22 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

simply because how would they fit it all in with the heat to consider have you seen the size of a cpu and the size of the sync and fan needed

As for heat of these desktop GPU's yes they get hot, but they are sort of designed for such heats and usually use a low fan speed by default

Well It will produce quite a bit of heat... at least 212 degrees Fahrenheit as that is the required temperature to create Steam

*bah dum chh

#23 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

*bah dum chh

There, much better. ;)

#24 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

No, you CAN'T beat PC exclusives, there's so many always releasing and so many top quality ones, why do you think that's funny? Zelda hasn't got crap on most of them, anyway. And I wasn't expecting it to be so powerful either.

umm, what games people like is completely opinionated, I personally like almost all game genres and systems ( with the exception of racing) but not everyone likes everything. To you, computer games might be better than console (which I personally agree with) but to others, they may not.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#25 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

LOL and they won't have Halo on Wii U. What exactly is your point? Everything has it's labeled, "Only for Device Here" titles. Everyone has a preference and this guides us to what ever. Not everyone likes the same games.

You do know they make some decent integrated graphics these days right? (Like this) Not that big and runs great. As for heat of these desktop GPU's yes they get hot, but they are sort of designed for such heats and usually use a low fan speed by default (Of course the drivers do sometimes up the fan speeds when needed. If you are not forcing higher speeds such as say a AMD Overdrive or Nvidia's fan control). As far as CPU's go, my one build with an AMD FX 8150 (eight cores to deal with) runs on Artic Silver 5 and a stock fan at 35C idle and 40-50c under heavy load. Now say if they really wanted to go all out to lower heat, they could throw in some water cooling. Yet it is not like they need to go that far as long as the system has a good ventilation, look at some of these gaming laptops with two huge vents in the back with two laptop size HDD even.

PC Exclusives, console exclusives, and other mobile exclusives are all based on personal preference of what you like in games. As in terms of overall performance, no a console can not win.

Edit:
------ My Two Cents on the Subject --------
As far as the whole consolized PC goes, well I think it would be a good idea for money if marketed right. Something in terms of a dubbed down Windows 8 RT with a new GUI revolving around Steams or what ever DD services that takes the leap. Yet this kind of would get blown out of the water if and/or when cloud gaming comes into play. (Sort of like OnLive where the games are streamed to you).

If marketed right it could get some of those ignorant console games into playing PC games. When I say, "ignorant console gamers" I do not mean all, but the ones that go around spouting nonsense like, "PC gaming is dying", " PC Gaming is dead", or "I use to PC game but I had to upgrade every month to play the new games" without even playing a single game on the PC (other than maybe WoW or a lame GFW-L title). It would give them a consolized PC so they could play the games they never touched before.

Again this is if they marketed it like a console in a fashion it would not confuse people and the GUI was designed to be operated in a more robust way for say a controller. Considering most of these people that would buy this likely do not make their own builds or are console gamers uninformed in areas and/or like controllers better.

Although PC games have a lot more replayability, look at Planetside 2, 2000 player multiplayer and it works well, it has the potential to keep someone willing to play for years, especially with games like MMOs and RTS games where it doesn't just have a 5-20 hour campaign and you're done with it until a few months/years later down the line you decide to replay it, it's also much cheaper.

#26 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Although PC games have a lot more replayability, look at Planetside 2, 2000 player multiplayer and it works well, it has the potential to keep someone willing to play for years, especially with games like MMOs and RTS games where it doesn't just have a 5-20 hour campaign and you're done with it until a few months/years later down the line you decide to replay it, it's also much cheaper.

MMO's are on every platform. They have FF, Phantasy Star, MAG, and plenty of others here and there. Though of course the PC has loads more of these games mainly because people are out to get your cash. As in they can make F2P games with crazy cash shops without having to run anything by some other company to get it put up on the store or update their game for said items. Instead they just make the game. Get the players in, flash some advertisements, rub it in their face that their going to lose without said items, et cetera.

Then on top of that MMO's die all the time be it pay to play or free to play. Plenty of them that are fun that die withing a month. Next speaking of PlanetSide, the first game died so quickly and the expansion pack was bollocks, full of empty space where no one went and you payed for all this crap. Now PlanetSide 2 comes out free to play not long ago and you have a number of people rushing to it. Give it a little time and this game will die off so quickly that your head will spin. Specially if they release some new so called, "Must have" shooter game. For example, if a new CoD came out even remotely close to said PlanetSide 2 you would not even have half of what you see in players on it now. Ah, and to top that off Steam is the place MMO's go to die. Seriously, when an MMO is going down they either shove it on Steam hoping to capture a quick group of audience to get a bit of extra cash subscriptions if it was not free to play already. Wait it out drop the price tag to play and add a cash shop to hope people continue to feed them money until the overall game population is little to none. Hell The Secret World came out on July 3, 2012 waited out a little while, jumped on Steam, and now it has already dropped its subscription fees.

MMO's just do not last that long, unless you have some super good marketing campaign pulling those suckers in like say WoW. You still see an advertisement with say Mr.T, Chuck Norris, or some other celebrity every now and then. While all these other games are just bundled together to have either little to no one knowing about them. I have been sort of playing FireFall and if you ask just about anyone (saying don't Google of course) no one has a clue what your talking about. I know a lot of people whom do not even know about the Mech Warriors Online game.

RTS games are great sure, but their put on consoles these days too. (Not always the best controls, but sometimes they work) The sad truth is these games are not the main priority of the sheep masses. Jim Rayner is just waiting for that new Call of Duty or next big shooter. RTS games tend to get less attention than even MMO games with their millions of counterparts.

Yippie, 5 to 20 hours oh boy that just means the game has the potential to be replayed. J/KRPG games have just that and a lot of people do not even take the time to follow up on all the side quests or replay the game. It is just chuck it aside and wait for the next big hit. Games tend to be much more disposable today, either by the developer or people playing them. Heck some people do not even have the attention span to play a campaign that last under two hours yet alone five. They are to busy ready to jump online for the killing than worry about what happens in the story.

What is much cheaper? In all honesty we use to have cheaper games, but half the time these days the standard is the same price as the console. Even when we go digital. Unless you so happen to get a lucky digital pre-order deal or sale popping up you're not getting it any cheaper. Not to mention when they jack the price up more with other forms of bundles. For example, the Digital Deluxe Editions where they add maybe a few extra crap to your game and jack the price up ten to thirty dollars more. I have literately seen one or two games on Steam with DD Editions with a price tag of 79.99 so 80USD. Now I am not saying this happens on every game, but the majority this day we are paying console game prices, like it or not. Unless it is a smaller developer with no backing status and/or following you're not getting a grand cheap price compared to a console game. (Not to mention when we get console ports and they charge us 60USD for them).

Really in all honesty the only thing that keeps people PC side is the performance of games overall compared to consoles. Then maybe a mod or two to keep you playing that same multi-player game again, but even still not everyone plays mods like they use to. Specially with a lot of these games not having modding tools to begin with so they can't just easy open the game up and code away.

#27 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'm planning on getting a gaming PC soon. Latest rumor state it is going to be release Q1 2013. I hope this is true.

#28 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

It does seem interesting, I'm looking forward to sitting back with my popcorn and watching how this one plays out...............

#29 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

i reckon it will be using one of the newer amd cpu/gpu combo processors to keep cost and heat down.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#30 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

the steambox now means im not buying a wii u

thank u valve nintendo is too much of a rusk

#31 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

i agree the steambox is a good reason not to buy a wii u, but it is a much greater risk than buying a Nintendo console.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#32 dyatir

dyatir

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros, Mario, Legend of Zelda

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

i agree the steambox is a good reason not to buy a wii u, but it is a much greater risk than buying a Nintendo console.

Why is it a good reason not to buy a wii u?

On the subject...
Just don't make half life 3 an exclusive for it, please... I don't want to buy it but if half life 3 with be an exclusive I will have to buy it...

#33 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Why is it a good reason not to buy a wii u?
On the subject...
Just don't make half life 3 an exclusive for it, please... I don't want to buy it but if half life 3 with be an exclusive I will have to buy it...

its a good reason not to buy a wii u because its bound to be expensive and it will definately have more 3rd party support and better variety of games.

#34 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

This is console for graphics whores. It's actually a good idea considering people only care about graphics. They would also make a lot of money with their exclusives. I'm sure people would by this for Portal 3 and Half Life 3.

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Uh, you guys realize this is just a sticker right? Its a sticker put on pc's in a certain spec range that come pre installed with steam.

Valve is not designing hardware, that was crap journalism turning a breif interview into idiot fiction.

http://www.tomshardw...ture,14959.html

On top of that, Lombardi didn't actually refuse to say that Valve isn't working on a hardware platform. Instead, he agreed that there's definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3. Like Newell said, there's a possibility that maybe some day Valve will make hardware, but Lombardi made it clear that (a) Valve partnering with hardware manufacturers and/or (B) Valve building its own hardware will not be happening anytime soon. End of story.

As for the prototype seen back in November, Lombardi said that Coomer is one of the guys leading the Big Picture effort. "The idea is that you can take Steam to any display," he said. "What we're trying to do is say, 'here's a box that we're going to use for testing that's common for Big Picture mode and get performance at a base level.'"

"We're always putting boxes together," he added. "Going all the way back to the Half-Life 1 days, we built special boxes to test our software render… it's just part of development."

He just nuked the crap idiot journalism that invented the steam box.

Edited by 3Dude, 01 January 2013 - 01:29 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Uh, you guys realize this is just a sticker right? Its a sticker put on pc's in a certain spec range that come pre installed with steam.

Valve is not designing hardware, that was crap journalism turning a breif interview into idiot fiction.

http://www.tomshardw...ture,14959.html

On top of that, Lombardi didn't actually refuse to say that Valve isn't working on a hardware platform. Instead, he agreed that there's definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3. Like Newell said, there's a possibility that maybe some day Valve will make hardware, but Lombardi made it clear that (a) Valve partnering with hardware manufacturers and/or ( B) Valve building its own hardware will not be happening anytime soon. End of story.

As for the prototype seen back in November, Lombardi said that Coomer is one of the guys leading the Big Picture effort. "The idea is that you can take Steam to any display," he said. "What we're trying to do is say, 'here's a box that we're going to use for testing that's common for Big Picture mode and get performance at a base level.'"

"We're always putting boxes together," he added. "Going all the way back to the Half-Life 1 days, we built special boxes to test our software render… it's just part of development."

He just nuked the crap idiot journalism that invented the steam box.

But.... Linux...!

#37 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

You make no sense.

Nintendo is a established developer in the industry. Many developers have acknowledge that they will support the Wii U more this gen than they did the Wii. How is buying the Wii U a risk? The Wii U will have a 3D Mario game, Smash Bros, Mario Kart U, and tons of third party support. If anything the steam box will be more of a foolish investment because we have no idea what it can do, how much it will cost, and what developers are supporting them.

I don't even see the steam box being relevant once the 720 and PS4 comes out. The steam box will a bad financial investment. Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC gamer and love steam, but Valve simply won't be able to compete in the console market. Especially if they steam box exceeds the amount that the average person is willing to pay for an entertainment system. The average gamer really doesn't care about specs, all they want is to play the new COD, Halo, GOW, GOW, and Nintendo games.

Valve's system will be hit or miss.

Edited by Zinix, 01 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valve, Steambox, 8th generation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!