3 replies to this topic

#1 zimsjim

zimsjim

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

HI all

i got my kids a Wii U for Christmas and was trying to set up, yet for the life of me i can't get any sound to come out my speakers.

I have a Sony Multi Channel AV Receiver STR-DG510 and have a Panasonic TV that I've used for my past Wii and my PS3

The HDMI goes from the Wii U right to the TV. I have another HDMI that goes from the TV to the Receiver.

The Video works fine, as I can see the Wii U games, however, i try and do several different settings on the Receiver and it never has sound come out. I even changed the Wii U settings to Stereo, rather than Surround, and still nothing no matter if i have my receiver on CD, SAT, Video 1, etc.

It's driving me crazy. Please help!

#2 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Is the PS3 connected the same way and working?

Personally I could never get ARC (Audio Return Channel, basically taking sound from TV to the receiver using the HDMI cable) to work reliably on my PS3 so have everything plugged into the receiver with a single cable from there to the TV. Its a pain as you cannot tweak the picture settings per device that way, but it works.

Obviously it also means you cannot use anything without the receiver turned on, but I never used the TV speakers anyway so its not an issue there. I never understand people who say "oh I only use the surround for movies" as it makes it easier to understand what is being said even for the news and weather.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 26 December 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#3 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Arc is spotty at best on my onkyo receiver. The only way I could get a dependable surround experience was to run the console HDMI right to the receiver

#4 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I agree its far better to connect the HDMI cable from the Wii U to the surround sound amp and then use the HDMI out on the amp to connect a cable to the TV. That's the way all my devices are connected including my Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, Mac and Sky Box. It does help to have enough HDMI inputs depending on how many devices you have. My Onkyo amp has six HDMI inputs and one output so it all works just fine.

Is the PS3 connected the same way and working?
Personally I could never get ARC (Audio Return Channel, basically taking sound from TV to the receiver using the HDMI cable) to work reliably on my PS3 so have everything plugged into the receiver with a single cable from there to the TV. Its a pain as you cannot tweak the picture settings per device that way, but it works.
Obviously it also means you cannot use anything without the receiver turned on, but I never used the TV speakers anyway so its not an issue there. I never understand people who say "oh I only use the surround for movies" as it makes it easier to understand what is being said even for the news and weather.

Personally I prefer to use the reliever as the sound output for all my devices including my Mac and Sky HD Box as well as my consoles. TV speakers even on the best TV's tend to be a poor comparison to an amp and separate speakers even for stereo. The speakers on my TV are disabled with all sound coming through my Onkyo amp and my speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!