#1 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

A few days ago I was playing Black Ops with my friend on the Xbox 360 at his home. He has a small HD tv (20/22 inch) and bought it for a small price (200 euros max.). What I noticed then, was that the colors looked very... washed out, too bright, unrealistic, and on and on. The game in fact, looked like crap (no discussion about dated engines etc. please, 'cod suxz,,') because of it. In fact, MW2 on my age old SD tv almost looked better graphically because the colors were just way more realistic and the lack of HD makes me overlook the fact that most textures are pretty plain and boring. Off course, I want an HD tv and MW3 on the same console and a way bigger HD tv over at another friend's home looks way better so I want to know what made Black Ops look so ugly. Is it just that the game itself doesn't look nearly as good as I remembered, or is it a problem with the TV?

I do not own a single HD device in my entire house so I have not much knowledge of and experience with HD visuals. I want to buy an HD tv for my Xbox 360 and upcoming Wii U so I want to know how to buy a good tv for gaming (yes, purely gaming).

Edit: To BO players, I only played 3 maps I think. Havana, WMD and Nuketown, and I know the last is supposed to be colorful and yes it looked a lot better than the others IMO. Havana just looked bad.

Edited by Keviin, 27 December 2012 - 05:42 AM.

No sig.

#2 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

best screen ive used for gaming is my old plasma awesome colours 600hz refresh rate full 1080p and it was massive 50inch screen currently on a 32 led tv and that is good but i dont rate it as highly as my plasma but then it doesnt cost an arm and leg to run like the other you will notice the difference between a good hdtv and your sd tv make sure you look at lots of reviews before you dive in as some sets are rubbish for gaming and look proper naff.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#3 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

I need a HDTV for myself in my room, using my Nan's LCD TV downstairs for now.

#4 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

A few days ago I was playing Black Ops with my friend on the Xbox 360 at his home. He has a small HD tv (20/22 inch) and bought it for a small price (200 euros max.). What I noticed then, was that the colors looked very... washed out, too bright, unrealistic, and on and on. The game in fact, looked like crap (no discussion about dated engines etc. please, 'cod suxz,,') because of it. In fact, MW2 on my age old SD tv almost looked better graphically because the colors were just way more realistic and the lack of HD makes me overlook the fact that most textures are pretty plain and boring. Off course, I want an HD tv and MW3 on the same console and a way bigger HD tv over at another friend's home looks way better so I want to know what made Black Ops look so ugly. Is it just that the game itself doesn't look nearly as good as I remembered, or is it a problem with the TV?

I do not own a single HD device in my entire house so I have not much knowledge of and experience with HD visuals. I want to buy an HD tv for my Xbox 360 and upcoming Wii U so I want to know how to buy a good tv for gaming (yes, purely gaming).

Edit: To BO players, I only played 3 maps I think. Havana, WMD and Nuketown, and I know the last is supposed to be colorful and yes it looked a lot better than the others IMO. Havana just looked bad.

It probably has something to do with the settings of the TV. I got my Wii to look clearer/have more color on my HDTV by just adjusting the settings.

Yes, you should get an HDTV. I have one, and the picture quality looks amazing. Try looking for TV's in the 30-40 inch range.

720p TV's are cheaper than 1080p TV's (I think), so If you dont want to spend too much, get a 720p TV.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#5 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

As the person stated above its probably due to the settings your friend has on his tv.
It also may be his cables that could also hurt the look of the game if he was using standard definition cables on it .

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 27 December 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#6 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Going to lay it out like this.
If you have a crap hd tv stuff will no look good.
If your using low inputs, such as rca, componant cable, svideo etc... (anything but hdmi v1.2)
It will look crappy.

Also the xbox360 and ps3 ver of cod bo2 had to much color that made it look like toys and unreal.
The wii u ver imo looks better. I had ps3 one and trade it for the wii u one.

Also make sure the tv is set right.

And on a last note 3d games looks great. Lol. And so movies.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#7 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

For the record, I remember switching out my HD component cables for an HDMI cable when the original Black Ops was the "in" game, and it looked terrible. Switched right back to the HD component cables.

#8 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Moral of the story is yes buy and HDTV but spend a little more money on a quality one. Samsung currently makes some of the nicest sets. After tweaking settings to my liking my Samsung 46 inch 3d LCD is going on 3 years old and still books stunning in 1080p :)

#9 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Yeah a good hdtv is a must. To me with out a hdmi cable and a good tv. The games on 360 and ps3 looked like ps2 and regular xbox.

#10 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention... I have a very low budget. Not exceeding the 300 euros. I want a screen that's at least near 30 inch. How important are Hertz?
No sig.

#11 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Your best bet is to shop around n see what's out there. Not sure about hertz, my lg 32lw450u says its 400hz? It relates to refresh rate so technically higher is better, but saying that, mine is 400 and the tv downstairs is 200 and the one in the bedroom is a cheapy 60hz yet they all look the same to me when running the same things, so maybe not that important?

Edited by backudog, 28 December 2012 - 01:16 AM.

I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#12 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

I dunno. I want at least a 60hz one so I can finally play Metroid Prime 2 on my Gamecube.
No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!