• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Ok, so I have only been using it a couple of days.

We have the following games:

- Super Mario U
- ZombiU
- Nintendo land
- Skylanders Giants

I write this with a heavy heart as I have always been a big Nintendo fan and have owned all of their consoles at some point. I always associated Nintendo with the highest quality of hardware and software.

Where do I start? the interface is poor and confusing and very very slow. Super Mario looked unfinished, unimaginative and lacked polish compared to something like New Super Mario bros Wii and certainly Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Nintendo land is truly shocking so far, we have only played Donkey Kong, Luigi mansion and Yoshi hunt? so far but my family have no interest in playing any of these ever again and cannot even be bothered to try the others. This is not a patch on Wii Sports as a pack in game from what I have seen so far, and the whole Nintendo Land hub park thing is awfully designed as well.

ZombiU was bought for me by my wife but I dislike first person perspective games so I will give this the benefit of the doubt; played it once but will probably trade it in without playing it again, I am sure its fine for what it is but it is not for me. Graphically though it seems to be sub standard compared to what I have seen on other consoles.

Thank heavens for Skylanders or I would have a very disappointed little boy this Christmas, he loves this game and it feels like the only properly developed and finished Wii U product we have. I am sure it is just as good on other platforms though.

I cannot see any real use yet so far for the screen controller yet other than allowing my boy to continue playing when we want to watch the tv. if a game has an item selection page then I would rather just press a button and see it on the tv to be honest.

There has been a lot of talk about this being Nintendo's last console and that the future for them will be as a software house for iPad, PS4 and Xbox and this seems inevitable to me at this point in time. Trouble is, if they do not pull up their socks with the quality of their output then I do not see a big future for them in that market either.

Before the flaming starts, remember I have always been a Nintendo fan boy and I really hope the next wave of games bring the magic back.

#2 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

It sounds to me like you had your expectations set way too high . Yes, the Wii U is slow but im sure Nintendo are working on it and IMO it shouldnt hugely effect your enjoyment of the console as a whole.

I dont see the problem with NSMBU, ok it doesnt have the greatest graphics in the world, but like all Super Mario Bros. games graphics are meaningless and gameplay (which is always good) is what counts.

You didnt really specify why you or your family dislike Nintendoland, but it is certainly more entertaining than wii sports. Maybe you should try playing more than just two of the minigames before judging the game as a whole.

Also, with regards to ZombiU, its not Nintendos fault that you dislike FPS, and if you gave it a chance you would realise that it is probably the best launch game for Wii U and that it really makes good use of the gamepad.

Lastly, I doubt Nintendo will fail considering the strong sales of both the Wii U and 3DS, look up the sales figures and you will realise you are wrong.

#3 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

This is not a patch on Wii Sports as a pack in game from what I have seen so far

I had to stop reading right there for a bit....... Is this really a bad thing? wii sports is a bad game..........

wa3Nq7j.png

#4 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Wii Sports was the most inclusive video game I have ever played and was perfect for a pack in game. That is what sold the Wii, Uncles, Aunts and Grannies could play and the whole family could play Bowling and Golf together.

Nintendo Land seems more like a collection of Wario Ware games than anything substantial. I admit I need to give the rest of Nintendo Land a chance before passing judgement and I will get round to that when we as a family can be bothered and that statement alone reveals much. My little boy is already asking for our iPads rather than play with the Wii U.

#5 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

I hate nintendoland too and would agree its worse than wii sports,i found it probably one of the most boring games ive EVER played,zombie u on the other hand is AMAZING...im loving it so far and find the graphics to be very good..ok so theres not alot of detail in the game(infact less than most ps3/360 games) but what is there is polished and looks really nice imo..also the lighting effects are VERY good as is atmosfear and gameplay.

Havnt touched my 360 or ps3 since ive had the wii u and im loving it so far :) just except the console for what it is..a gaming machine a little ahead of the current gen..that way when a game comes to fully take advantage of the system(which it will) you can be majorly surprised and it will feel like a masive bonus :)

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Personally I think you and your family have set your expectations way too high. Not only that but its pretty silly dismissing a system after its only been out a few weeks. Most consoles go through the same phase at launch but things improve over time.

I agree the interface is not up to par compared to other consoles on the market and it is slow. However this shouldn't be enough to detract from the console as a whole.

Regards NSMB U I have to whole heartedly disagree. It's far for unfinished Nd is one of the best 2D Mario platform games in a long time and In fact its the best one since Super Mario World in my opinion. As for comparing it to Super Mario Galaxy 2 that's just plain ridiculous as that's a 3D game and you cannot compare the two.

I can't personally comment on Nintendo Land as I don't own it and haven't played it. I have however played Wii Sports and from I've seen, read, and heard of Nintendo Land its a far better pack in game then Wii Sports. Wii Sports was very shallow and got boring very quickly and is by no means the best way to showcase a new console and its features.

As for Zombi U I'm not a big fan of FPS or survival horror games but even I can see its merits and the fact that its one of the best games on the Wii right now as well as being a Wii exclusive. It makes great use of the Gamepad which although I dislike as a controller offers some great gameplay features and should only get better as time goes by.

Like I said above the controller offers some innovative features and I don't think you fully understand what it offers now and what it could offer in the future. If used properly and with care and thought it has the potential of enhancing games and making multiplatform games far better on the Wii U.

I don't know where you've been reading this maybe Nintendo's last console and they may end up making games for their competitors but I've not read or heard that anywhere and if you believe that then no disrespect but you must be very cynical. In my opinion that is just absolute rubbish and is not going to happen. The 3DS is doing very well and the Wii U is doing pretty good for a new launch console. I suggest you wait and see how the Wii U does in the long term before coming to the ridiculous motion of writing off Nintendo as a console manufacture. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

On a final note I suggest you sell the console if you're not happy with it and don't see a future in it or Nintendo. If you do however them I feel you will regret it.

By the way this thread really belongs in the Wii U hardware section and not here.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 30 December 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#7 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

There were a lot of forum comments going about prior to launch at how the wii u was a next gen system and super powerful and would compete with the next playstation and xbox but this was never going to happen. Unfortunately because of these fanboy posts many people's expectations were un-realistically raised and there are numerous posts all over the internet with people disappointed with what the wii u is offering.

You buy a Nintendo console if you love Nintendo games and the type of games than Nintendo consoles get mainly. The wii u is a brilliant package overall and I'm really enjoying mine. The gamepad introduces a new direction in gaming just like the wii motion controller did.

If you want a powerful gaming system don't bother with a console get a PC which offers a lot more tech for your buck.

I own a PS3 and 360 as well as wii u and can see the appeal of all 3. Remember the wii launched with a spec inferior to the original xbox but still went on to massive success because it never competed in the same area and appealed to different consumers.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Where do I start? the interface is poor and confusing and very very slow. Super Mario looked unfinished, unimaginative and lacked polish compared to something like New Super Mario bros Wii and certainly Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Thank heavens for Skylanders or I would have a very disappointed little boy this Christmas, he loves this game and it feels like the only properly developed and finished Wii U product we have. I am sure it is just as good on other platforms though.

There has been a lot of talk about this being Nintendo's last console and that the future for them will be as a software house for iPad, PS4 and Xbox and this seems inevitable to me at this point in time. Trouble is, if they do not pull up their socks with the quality of their output then I do not see a big future for them in that market either.

Before the flaming starts, remember I have always been a Nintendo fan boy and I really hope the next wave of games bring the magic back.

Mario is finished, what makes you think otherwise?
Unimaginative how? Because it follows the 20 million selling formula?

I dunno, skylanders is an activision published title, you sure that feels finished and complete?
How many of the characters have you, and dlc?

Only apple fangirls believe Nintendo will stop producing consoles after the wii, wii u, or any of their consoles.
They want Nintendo's games on iOS for $1, which is never going to happen.

Why would we flame you?

I had to stop reading right there for a bit....... Is this really a bad thing? wii sports is a bad game..........

Wii Sports is not a bad game.
It's a simple, friendly, fun game.
It has no story, graphics are very very dated.
It's still one of the best games in the past few years from anyone.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Fallen

Fallen

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

There were a lot of forum comments going about prior to launch at how the wii u was a next gen system and super powerful and would compete with the next playstation and xbox but this was never going to happen. Unfortunately because of these fanboy posts many people's expectations were un-realistically raised and there are numerous posts all over the internet with people disappointed with what the wii u is offering.

You buy a Nintendo console if you love Nintendo games and the type of games than Nintendo consoles get mainly. The wii u is a brilliant package overall and I'm really enjoying mine. The gamepad introduces a new direction in gaming just like the wii motion controller did.

If you want a powerful gaming system don't bother with a console get a PC which offers a lot more tech for your buck.

I own a PS3 and 360 as well as wii u and can see the appeal of all 3. Remember the wii launched with a spec inferior to the original xbox but still went on to massive success because it never competed in the same area and appealed to different consumers.

100% support this post.
Finally someone else who realizes that console gaming isn't all about graphics.
NNID: Hallucination
XBL: Disappearance
Steam: Manifested

#10 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Also you have to remeber how the xbox 360 and ps3 launches were. They didnt have any mind blowing graphics in there launch games and they have updated there os's multiple times that its not even the same system that you got when you bought it. Nintendo will update their system and there will be some great games for it in the future. I don't beleive they will fail and I hope they don't

#11 Sarger001

Sarger001

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing, Ponies

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Look on Miiverse. Look at how many people are pleased with their Wii U console. I personally think that NSMBU is the best NSMB game, with the one on 3DS following far behind, and i am sure many others think that too. Nintendo Land is good, and you haven't played the best minigames- Takamarus ninja castle, Mario chase, Metroid blast ect. I haven't played ZombiU so i can't really deliver a valid point for that, but the reviews are mixed, so let that speak.

Just wait for more games on the Wii U. Is it the graphics you don't like? Nintendo haven't really bothered about graphics except on the gamecube- That didn't really sell well, so since then, nintendo hasn't cared that much for graphics.
It's not them that deliver a good game, it's how fun a game is.

#12 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Look, I am a Mario fan, even though I do not play these games much anymore (other than occasionally helping my son out) I still know all the history and I am very appreciative and knowledgeable of gameplay mechanics etc

Mario U to me feels rushed and I do not think it has the production values that previous versions enjoyed. Maybe my view will change as we get further into the game but what is ominous is that my little boy - who will only wear Mario pyjamas - has shown no interest in it since Christmas day preferring to play Skylanders and Punch Quest on the iPad. He is only allowed an hour (2 if he has been good as it's Christmas!) a day with video games so he has to choose wisely. Similarly, my Wife, who as a little girl and adult completed all the 2D Mario games has also shown little interest in playing it.

Just wait for more games on the Wii U. Is it the graphics you don't like? Nintendo haven't really bothered about graphics except on the gamecube- That didn't really sell well, so since then, nintendo hasn't cared that much for graphics.
It's not them that deliver a good game, it's how fun a game is.

Wrong, Nintendo have always been graphically excellent, but they have always rightly concentrated on graphical design which is appropriate to the game. For example Super Mario 64 was, in my opinion far better graphically than Tomb raider.

Lastly, I doubt Nintendo will fail considering the strong sales of both the Wii U and 3DS, look up the sales figures and you will realise you are wrong.

Strong sales? a simple Google search will reveal a very different story, Nintendo had the market at their mercy this Christmas and sales appear to be stagnating.

The 3DS is also vulnerable, how can the 3DS with a tiny screen and games at $40 compete against the likes of the Nexus 7 which has a far bigger screen, more graphically advanced games which are a tenth of the price and are downloadable.

Nintendo can still make the Wii U a success but it needs a constant stream of AAA titles. But yes, I feel that $300 traditional consoles have very little time left, the future for gaming is tablets and cloud boxes.

Edited by albatross, 30 December 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#13 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Just not for you bud what can we say? Just sell it and move on .

#14 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I can see everything else, however saying NSMBU is unpolished? It's easily the most polished NSMB game they've made. Talk about unpolished, try playing NSMB2?

The 3DS is also vulnerable, how can the 3DS with a tiny screen and games at $40 compete against the likes of the Nexus 7 which has a far bigger screen, more graphically advanced games which are a tenth of the price and are downloadable.

Nintendo can still make the Wii U a success but it needs a constant stream of AAA titles. But yes, I feel that $300 traditional consoles have very little time left, the future for gaming is tablets and cloud boxes.

If there is anything to learn from this gen of consoles, its that the best hardware doesn't always be the most successful. Plus, the 3DS is selling fantastically at the moment, it moved 3,000 short of 900,000 just 2 weeks ago.

A constant stream of triple A titles? How about just so great Nintendo games, thats what sells Nintendo's consoles the best.

2lvmghw.png

#15 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not even worth the effort Colin. Just by the tone of his posts his mind is already on a set path. These doom and gloom threads are really getting old. This is one of the better launch lineups and sales are fine, actually pretty excellent in Japan and na. If you feel the tablets are the future, well hell man, no ones stopping you. Go for it bud and be happy. Keep the memories because Nintendo obviously isn't for you anymore .

Edited by Varg, 30 December 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Nintendo Land seems more like a collection of Wario Ware games than anything substantial.

Have you played warioware recently? The games in those never lasted for more than 5 seconds.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#17 Izombie

Izombie

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, WoW, Diablo, Mario

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I have to disagree with this post entirely. I've had the Wii U deluxe since day 1 with Mario, ZombiU, Black Ops 2 and Nintedo land of course. I sunk all my initial time into ZombiU, it's probably the only survival horror game in a long time that's made me nervous and reluctant to turn it on again. I don't see how anyone can like the new super Mario bros games and bash the Wii U Mario.. It's so much better and has the SNES Mario world feel, plus the HD graphics look just fine to me considering the type of game it is. Black Ops 2 is debatable if it looks better or the same as it does on other consoles but I like having the touch screen to use scorestreaks with along with the map. Having a friend over to play online with together with one using the tv and the other using the gamepad rather than split screen is just fantastic. I've hardly touched Nintendoland until earlier this week but I've been having a blast with Pikmin adventures and the Zelda game so you should try those out.

As for the console having slow loading issues and some other slight issues, they've already been patching it and working on fixes. At least the system isn't Red/Yellow lighting of death. And just compare launch titles to that back of the 360 and ps3 launch titles.. The Wii U has it all beat hands down IMO.

Wii U Addy: Izombie
Desktop: Dell XPS 8600 SE w/Intel i7 quad core 3770, 12gb dual channel ddr3 1600mhz ram, 2gb AMD Radeon 7870, 2tb 7200 HDD with 32gb ssd, 24" 1080p LED display
Laptop: Alienware m14x w/Intel i7 quad core 3610qm, 6gb dual channel ddr3 1600mhz ram, 1gb Nvidia 650m, 500gb 7200rpm hdd, killer n wireless card, 14" 900p LED display

1553735_o.gif

#18 BananaCheese

BananaCheese

Darknut Dominator

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • NNID:Awesomesocks
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Animal Crossing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

All I want to say to you is that your statements about Mario U, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU are false. They're all great games and you should've tried the other Nintendo Land games before you decided to hate it. I'm sorry that your family doesn't like it but it's not a horrible game. Mario U is great, I have no problems with it. I haven't played ZombiU, but, judging by the trailers, it's my favourite zombie game. Slow load speeds are not enough to say a console is horrible. I have a 360 and loading the menu on that thing takes longer than loading the Wii U menu. Half of the time Xbox Live doesn't even work on it. You are extremely wrong about everything.

Nintendo_Logo-600x200.png 

Nintendo Network ID: Awesomesocks | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032-1712-2862

PM me if you add me on any of the above.

#19 Amylittlehands

Amylittlehands

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Fandom:
    Harvest Moon

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

This thread had me worried at first, but with all of the great valid points everyone has stated I'm even more excited about getting my WiiU. I have absolute faith that Nintendo will be pushing out updates to fix the issues people are having, I can guarantee that the PS4/720 will have problems and slowdown issues on release.
Posted ImageERHMEHGERHD A Tiny cat. All the better to keep in my tiny pocket.

#20 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I am loving the Wii U, however i will say i am disappointed by Nintendo Land, it is quite poor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!