20 replies to this topic

#1 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

I just stumbled across this article http://www.digitaltr...were-expecting/ and thought it made interesting reading?
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#2 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Wow, there are going to be a lot of consoles this gen.

Wii U
PS4
Xbox
Xbox Lite (maybe)
Steambox
PC (sort of... they do have fanboys, so I include them)
Ouya

If Microsoft does release a Lite Xbox then it will be in direct competition with the Ouya. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. There won't be just a giant group of consoles going after the same market. There will be a bunch of mini battles. Ouya and Xbox Lite battling it out. PS4 and 720 at odds again. The Wii U somewhere in the middle. Steambox doing god knows what. Throw the handhelds and tablets into the mix and it's just crazy...

#3 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Normally I wouldn't even entertain the notion of getting a console where everything is digital-downloaded only, however, I might make an exception for this supposed "Xbox Lite" if it exists, depending on several factors.

#4 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Normally I wouldn't even entertain the notion of getting a console where everything is digital-downloaded only, however, I might make an exception for this supposed "Xbox Lite" if it exists, depending on several factors.

What's your reasoning? Just curious?

#5 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

What's your reasoning? Just curious?

Because I like having actual copies of games that I can hold in my hands, display, etc. Digital does nothing for me. I like seeing my money go to actual items instead of... fake actual items.

#6 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Because I like having actual copies of games that I can hold in my hands, display, etc. Digital does nothing for me. I like seeing my money go to actual items instead of... fake actual items.

Sorry, I mean why are you considering the Xbox Lite?

#7 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Sorry, I mean why are you considering the Xbox Lite?

Because it will allegedly be cheaper.

#8 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Because it will allegedly be cheaper.

Digital should be cheaper for obvious reasons. I doubt it will be for some time though.

#9 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

I'm predicting the 3DS Zelda announcement in either a ND with a logo pic, at GDC with a 1 minute trailer, or at E3 with a 2-3 minute trailer and the logo pic. I KNOW it will be announced this year. It's at the perfect time.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#10 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

New Xbox
New playstation
New gameboy possibly??
PIKMIN 3
NEW SUPER SMASH BROS.
New Mario Kart

wjapt2.jpg

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

PS4 will flop and 720 will sell like hotcakes for a few weeks until people realise they were ripped off and start demanding refunds, Nintendo sit at the top with thier Gold plated Wii U and start to rule the world :D the gaming world of 2013 in a nutshell :D

#12 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

What does "set-top" mean?

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#13 ASTRON4UT

ASTRON4UT

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I hope E3 will have Dark souls II for the wii u, Zelda, Super smach bros, and a pokemon game.

#14 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Wow, there are going to be a lot of consoles this gen.

Wii U
Steambox

That's all i read, and i'm excited.

Wait, i thought valve hated consoles?

86c.gif

#15 Artemis

Artemis

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Fandom:
    My Little Pony, Star Trek, LPS

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

What does "set-top" mean?

Set-top box is just general term for a piece of hardware that connects to your TV. Before we had black rectangles for TVs, things like that were often set on top of the television. I don't often hear that term used for anything other than cable and satellite receivers.

Wait, i thought valve hated consoles?

Valve hates closed platforms that severely restrict developers and consumers. The Steambox will run a version of Linux, probably Debian-based, and will therefore be an entirely open platform that they can modify however they see fit.

ArtemisTwiSig.png

#16 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Valve hates closed platforms that severely restrict developers and consumers. The Steambox will run a version of Linux, probably Debian-based, and will therefore be an entirely open platform that they can modify however they see fit.

So basically, it's Linux: Valve Edition? Cool.

86c.gif

#17 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

PC (sort of... they do have fanboys, so I include them)

Yeah cause it would be just crazy to include the most versatile and powerful platform with by far the largest library of games and largest potential market.

#18 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yeah cause it would be just crazy to include the most versatile and powerful platform with by far the largest library of games and largest potential market.

Well they're not really "Consoles." They're also much more expensive than a console at the entry point so they don't really compete with consoles.

#19 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Well they're not really "Consoles." They're also much more expensive than a console at the entry point so they don't really compete with consoles.

PC does compete with consoles. I think it is safe to say most people that would consider buying a console have a computer, many who would have bought a console who are from the casual audience may find what there after with such things as facebook games. On the other end of the spectrum there are the non casual ('hardcore') gamers who also would be more likely to buy a console if they didn't have the ability to get a pc. The competition is no doubt more fierce for example between the ps3 and 360, but they still are competing with the pc.

As for if it fits the definition? A pc can easily fit the definition just as the ps3 and 360 can.

A basic definition (wikipedia ftw :P ): A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer or customized computer system that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game.,

I would also like to say the so called high cost of a descent gaming rig is so warped from any sort of reality it is hard not to be amused

#20 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

I pin my hopes on this year. Really, I do. Hopefully, it will restore my faith in games and gaming community. How ? We will see. In 2012 I almost completely lost interest for video games, special thanks to Blizzard and some others.
I don't want to make any predictions, though. I had huge expectations for 2012 and had no idea it would suck that hard in regards to videogames. The only good thing was, perhaps, the Kickstarter boom. The indie 'scene' events now interest me much more than their mainstream counterparts.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!