Photo

21K systems sold last week - Nintendos Wii U problems turn into a crisis.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#41 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

It not actually as bad as people think , hell I used to game on the pc with an old ati 4200 (overclocked ) that thing was intigrated and ati yet I had hardly no problems with it and it played most every game and I had it for years.

Its maybe not as bad as it use to be but I gave up several years ago due to the time, money and effort needed to keep a PC up to date. It didn't help that I got fed up with the problems of Windows like viruses, spyware, crashes, blue screen of death, DLL's, bits of program's remaining even after they have been uninstalled and moved to using Apple computers which are not a good choice when it comes to gaming. You still need to spend time and money keeping PC's up to date plus I have no desire to go back to Windows even Windows 7 or 8. I still play a few games on my Mac but other then that I stick to consoles which are a lot less hassle.

#42 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

It's a common misconception that you need a super-super rig to game on a PC.
You need about 7 year old hardware to game comfortably, unless you land in a time where there's a major swing, like when directx 9 came out, but since then there's been nothing major in graphics except using them as cpu cores for flash and stuff, which isn't really a gaming thing.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#43 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

You need about 7 year old hardware to game comfortably, unless you land in a time where there's a major swing, like when directx 9 came out, but since then there's been nothing major in graphics except using them as cpu cores for flash and stuff, which isn't really a gaming thing.

ALso in recent times it seems pc is becoming more user-friendly while consoles are losing there user-friendlyness .
I feel this will be my last generation gaming on consoles I hope it will be a good generation though.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 20 January 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#44 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I disagree. There is no way a seven year old PC is going to run today's games especially the AAA ones. You don't neccessarily need a top of the line PC rig but it certainly helps and there will always be some games that lower end PC's won't be able to handle. At the very least you will need to tone down a lot of the settings. You have to upgrade your PC at least once every year, two if you're lucky to keep up with the latest games. And no having to tone down the settings is not my idea of ideal PC gaming.

ALso in recent times it seems pc is becoming more user-friendly while consoles are losing there user-friendlyness .
I feel this will be my last generation gaming on consoles I hope it will be a good generation though.

Again I disagree. PC's are just as much a pain to use especially for gaming as they use to be. Consoles whilst getting more complicated and with more features are on the whole just as user friendly as they have ever been.

#45 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I disagree. There is no way a seven year old PC is going to run today's games especially the AAA ones. You don't neccessarily need a top of the line PC rig but it certainly helps and there will always be some games that lower end PC's won't be able to handle. At the very least you will need to tone down a lot of the settings. You have to upgrade your PC at least once every year, two if you're lucky to keep up with the latest games. And no having to tone down the settings is not my idea of ideal PC gaming.

Again I disagree. PC's are just as much a pain to use especially for gaming as they use to be. Consoles whilst getting more complicated and with more features are on the whole just as user friendly as they have ever been.

The settings are there to be turned down.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#46 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

... This is a crisis? Just a bad week.

But yeah they need games. EXCLUSIVES. The reason I don't buy it yet is the lack of them. 1 Mario game isn't enough. I'm busy enough with my Xbox 360 and 3DS right now to lay down 350.
No sig.

#47 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm not worried. It was never going to be my primary console when the ps4/720 comes out..ill be getting 1 of them aswel. The Wii u will then be for exclusives only, but for now ye, its replaced my ps3..i think its a much better experience. Hopefully the 3rd party games keep coming until then anyway.

#48 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

The settings are there to be turned down.

The point is they shouldn't have to be turned down. Its pointless playing the latest games on an old PC if the settings have to be turned down. In fact its pointless playing PC games if you have to do that with most new games.

#49 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

The point is they shouldn't have to be turned down. Its pointless playing the latest games on an old PC if the settings have to be turned down. In fact its pointless playing PC games if you have to do that with most new games.

Why not?
The graphics are turned down when ported to consoles.
It's just idiots being stubborn that say stuff like that.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#50 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Why not?
The graphics are turned down when ported to consoles.
It's just idiots being stubborn that say stuff like that.

You're implying that I'm an idiot. I suggest you refrain from the insults and flaming.

Going back to the subject what's consoles got to do with it. Comparing them to PC's is just ridiculous and bares no logic. Consoles are a fixed entity for their lifetime and games are made to run on them. Developers are always pushing the capabilities of PC's by making their games take advantage of the latest technology. Plus its ridiculous to expect people to turn down the settings and make the gaming experience sub par and not what it should be. If PC gaming technology was static and didn't change so often then it wouldn't be an issue. You may be happy to turn down the settings and have a sub par gaming experience but not everyone is like you. Not to mention there is nothing stupid or idiotic in wanting the best performance as you so put it.

#51 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

You're implying that I'm an idiot. I suggest you refrain from the insults and flaming.

Going back to the subject what's consoles got to do with it. Comparing them to PC's is just ridiculous and bares no logic. Consoles are a fixed entity for their lifetime and games are made to run on them. Developers are always pushing the capabilities of PC's by making their games take advantage of the latest technology. Plus its ridiculous to expect people to turn down the settings and make the gaming experience sub par and not what it should be. If PC gaming technology was static and didn't change so often then it wouldn't be an issue. You may be happy to turn down the settings and have a sub par gaming experience but not everyone is like you. Not to mention there is nothing stupid or idiotic in wanting the best performance as you so put it.

lol. I implied no such thing.
I merely said it's a misconception which is spread by idiots who believe lowering the settings break the game and makes them unplayable.
If you actually believe that, then maybe I did imply that.
I wasn't aware you game on a top of the line PC at the time of that post though, so I couldn't possibly have said that about you.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#52 m3gaman81

m3gaman81

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Getting fed up of all the doom and gloom posts...just enjoy the blooming console and games..have fun,its why you bought it....gheeeeeez

Exactly could't have put it better myself. All these scare mongering articles about Nintendo are just to put people off buying the product, and it works, for a lot of people actually believe these fools that write nonsense.
The console has been out for barely 2 months! People need to get a grip and stop wanting too much too fast!

When did CPU clock speed become the bee all and end all anyways? A good game is a good game, end of.

When did selling a gagillion consoles in two days matter? It will sell when the "Big Guns" get announced.

When did only Sony and Microsoft matter in the gaming world? Pfft never they are playing the high specs game, which will eventually fizzle out.
And on another note, Sony or MS will probably copy some of the Wii U hardware or external ideas for the console.

Before you think I hate MS or Sony, I don't. I've had an MSX(80's) and playstation's from the get go, and play the XBox 360 now and again. I just think all the hate against Nintendo is un called for, and instead they should be praised for their innovation in a stale market these days.

For me graphics isn't everything, and gameplay is king. I do love shiny realistic graphics, but the gameplay sucks these days! How many First person shooter games do we have to have? Games aren't even that hard anymore, where's the challenge?

When we get a good mix of gameplay and graphics then it will be a good system. The Wii U is vastly upgraded from the Wii and it has everything that was asked of it, also the incorporated gamepad is to keep up with the tablet market so I understand this, and some of the gameplay will be excellent....I'm looking at U Zelda.

The games that will be coming for the U will be great, even better if some hard nose devs just give it a go and work their magic on an innovative console that's no too...OMG how do we code for that?

As for the next PSBox whatever, they'll be spec'd higher than the U, but the console's will be dearer, so will the games. So I won't even think about getting a PS4, until a price drop in hardware and software. By that time I will have played, Zelda, Metroid, Mario and I'm guessing some other "Surprises", and my eyes will be looking forward to see what all the consoles offer, and where gaming is headed.

So for now adios amigos, Wii U price drop immenent, great games on the horizon, so get with it or your not a "True" gamer....sorry but your not. so.....play them all....play everything...maw hahahaha! :P

Edited by m3gaman81, 20 January 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

#53 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Good luck with all the installation and driver issues. Also good luck with the expenditure of upgrading the components every six months to a year.

Clueless person is clueless. The idea of having to upgrade ones components every year is a myth, I know people who are pc only gamers who upgrade less frequently then consoles life cycles and to be able to max out more or less all games requires one to upgrade every 3+ years. I know people who upgraded for Crysis in 2007 for example and still use the same rig and still have no need to upgrade.

#54 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Everybody's getting worked up over nothing, trust me. For anybody who is saying that the Wii U is selling worse than the 3DS (in Japan), it is not, I remember very clearly that the 3DS was struggling to sell numbers of 21000 a week in Japan. For a new console to be selling this much a week (a home console in Japan as well, which sell less than handhelds generally) is actually pretty decent, everyone does seem to have exceedingly large expectations. If we are still getting these numbers a year or two down the line, then something drastically will need to be done to bolster sales.

On the side of the launch games (and the games coming this year), I was (and still am) very impressed with the amount of solid games that were worth getting. If people are complaining that they've only got 3 games, with a couple more they're interested in coming soon, you should consider yourself lucky, I know a lot of people who will only get 1-5 games in a whole year!

The Wii U is not doomed. Get over it.
Bring the noise.

#55 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

With these dry months ahead, Nintendo seriously needs to release some GCN games on eShop.

#56 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Everybody's getting worked up over nothing, trust me. For anybody who is saying that the Wii U is selling worse than the 3DS (in Japan), it is not, I remember very clearly that the 3DS was struggling to sell numbers of 21000 a week in Japan. For a new console to be selling this much a week (a home console in Japan as well, which sell less than handhelds generally) is actually pretty decent, everyone does seem to have exceedingly large expectations. If we are still getting these numbers a year or two down the line, then something drastically will need to be done to bolster sales.
On the side of the launch games (and the games coming this year), I was (and still am) very impressed with the amount of solid games that were worth getting. If people are complaining that they've only got 3 games, with a couple more they're interested in coming soon, you should consider yourself lucky, I know a lot of people who will only get 1-5 games in a whole year!
The Wii U is not doomed. Get over it.

The number of games isnt the problem, its the calibur of said games.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#57 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

^^^ If someone has already bought the game, Nintendo has made their money. They dont care if the game is steaming pile of poo.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#58 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Lol.  So if you're PC isn't capable of running games at high settings, there isn't any point.  You should just not play at all.

#59 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

It's because of all the slander and libel that the system is currently facing. If I were Nintendo, I would:

1. Come clean on the specs for the system especially the GPU (though Sony and MS fanboys will still look for something to whine about)
2. Set up a great legal team to halt/punish slanders coming from biased analyst and irresponsible developers.

#60 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

The number of games isnt the problem, its the calibur of said games.

I know that some people are very excited about Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover and Pikmin 3. When these games come out, hopefully increased sales will too.
People have got to remember that launch sales don't really mean anything, the Dreamcast sold well at launch and failed, the 360 and PS3 sold not very well at launch and have very much succeeded, heck even the Vita sold considerably well at launch and look where that is now!
It's how a console picks up after launch (I don't mean right after launch), as in, will we see more than 2.5 million sold next Christmas? I think we will, Nintendo (and third parties) obviously have more games than those coming before E3 (which is a pretty great list of titles), after E3, leading into Christmas is where a lot of the big games will be coming out, and I'm predicting pretty big things.
Have you even seen this? I don't know how I'll be able to afford the games I want: http://mynintendonew...g-this-quarter/ And this list doesn't cover Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2.

Edited by Happy Monk, 21 January 2013 - 05:08 AM.

Bring the noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!