Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

http://purenintendo....ppy-with-delay/

Seems like the development team was probably more in shock of the bomb Ubi dropped on them. I feel worse for them than us gamers, that has to be a sucky feeling.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#2 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

It's all about business... I know I'd be pissed if I was being forced to delay my game AND port it to other platforms.

Posted Image

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

And the worst of it is he'll probably be fired.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I understand his anger, but what he just did was stupid and ignorant. I would be angry myself but I would be more worried about keeping my job, than ranting about my superiors.

#5 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

And the worst of it is he'll probably be fired.

He already quit after the game was done, mid januari. The 31st was his last day.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Of course. This is the difference between publishers and developers.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Good for him for speaking his mind. It's bullcrap what Ubi pulled, and they aren't the first company to do stuff like this. You work your butt off making something only to be told it wont be released until 7 months later? and now they have to work on porting it to other consoles. Slap in the face to the fans AND developer. It's not ignorant what he said, its whats on his mind and I'd be right there with him.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Reminds me of how Reggies said he liked Mother 3 LOL. I dont believe that the Ubishaft dev is telling the truth.

Signature_DK.png

#9 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

... shouldnt publishers work for developers instead of vice/versa.

found BS of activision, EA,and ubisoft devs complaining about the publisher, or showing signs of being held back for BS reasons.

#10 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Don't hate the game, hate the publisher

Edited by Abcdude, 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM.

794144.png?13383682

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

... shouldnt publishers work for developers instead of vice/versa.
found BS of activision, EA,and ubisoft devs complaining about the publisher, or showing signs of being held back for BS reasons.

If they dont want to become irrelevant...

Heres how it used to work. Developers could make games, but had no way of getting those games to the customer. They had no money, so they couldnt afford the console holder license, they couldnt afford the cost of cartridge manufacture, instruction book printing, boxes, etc...

Publishers were rich dudes who know absolutely nothing about videogames (this part has not changed) but always looking for ways to use their money, to make more money, so they dont have to ever actually work. They pay for the license, they pay for the cartridges, boxes, books, shipping to retailers, and advertising, and in turn take the large majority of profit from each game sold hoping to make more money than they put in.

THIS IS WHY NEARLY EVERY GAME OF THE PAST SEVEN YEARS HAS BEEN EXACTLY THE SAME WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT COAT OF PAINT.

Publishers dont know or care about videogames beyond what game sold a lot, and thus tell developers to take whatever game they were working on and 'make it more like that 'gta, or cod' that sell so much.

However, publishers are now losing relevancy, distribution has been seperated from publishers, first with eshops, and now things like kickstarter, a dev can get fully funded to bring physical releases to a console, without submitting to the oppression of an incumbent publishing house.

The wind of change blows.

Edited by 3Dude, 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

If they dont want to become irrelevant...

Heres how it used to work. Developers could make games, but had no way of getting those games to the customer. They had no money, so they couldnt afford the console holder license, they couldnt afford the cost of cartridge manufacture, instruction book printing, boxes, etc...

Publishers were rich dudes who know absolutely nothing about videogames (this part has not changed) but always looking for ways to use their money, to make more money, so they dont have to ever actually work. They pay for the license, they pay for the cartridges, boxes, books, shipping to retailers, and advertising, and in turn take the large majority of profit from each game sold hoping to make more money than they put in.

THIS IS WHY NEARLY EVERY GAME OF THE PAST SEVEN YEARS HAS BEEN EXACTLY THE SAME WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT COAT OF PAINT.

Publishers dont know or care about videogames beyond what game sold a lot, and thus tell developers to take whatever game they were working on and 'make it more like that 'gta, or cod' that sell so much.

However, publishers are now losing relevancy, distribution has been seperated from publishers, first with eshops, and now things like kickstarter, a dev can get fully funded to bring physical releases to a console, without submitting to the oppression of an incumbent publishing house.

The wind of change blows.

Oh how I would love to see EA and/or Activision shutter for lack of relevance. Nintendo should work very closely with Indie developers to make sure they have everything they need to make smash hit games on their consoles.

#13 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

so if new publisher comes along and says 'make what you want, we will publish it' they will probly make money, except maiby with approvel(not some PC generic(browser) game). they would have very easy access to many developers =/ except those owned by publishers. almost everyone including EA's developers ended wanting them to burn.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

so if new publisher comes along and says 'make what you want, we will publish it' they will probly make money, except maiby with approvel(not some PC generic(browser) game). they would have very easy access to many developers =/ except those owned by publishers. almost everyone including EA's developers ended wanting them to burn.

It isn't even so much a new publisher coming along at this point. Independent developers can get funding through a number of sources that don't have to be a conglomerate. Not only that, but all of the console makers and Steam are making it easier and easier to get games to market, even without the need to develop physical media. Microsoft was the first to do this, and literally gave away all of their SDK's to the public and in some cases paid indie devs a stipend to develop their ideas.

With Nintendo's eShop they have already started making it easier for indie games to make it to market. They need to do even more, though it may take another generation before they are comfortable with that idea.

#15 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

The stupid part?

Most of the Wii U install base would have purchased this game at release. And Ubi would be raking in the dough.

They think they are going to rake it in at the end of the year on all platforms instead.

But they're killing themselves here.

Omnistation and possibly new Xbox are going to be available around then. Will the ps360 owners be asking mommy for rayman on an old system? Nope. They'll be begging for a new console with next gen games.

What about Wii U? With the dearth of quality launch games, Rayman was set to make a killing. Now, not only will some boycott the game, but some won't even want it after the post E3 games come out.

Just another example of a third party pulling a stupid knee-jerk reaction to anything less than a thermonuclear scale of success in the slimmest of time windows when Nintendo is involved.

Ubi creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Nintendo is going to hurt from it in the near term. But Ubi is going to hurt in the long term. They do have enough IPs to mitigate the pain somewhat. But this is in elievably stupid from every angle.

#16 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

I find it funny how the so called dev says "don't take it out on the game" but doesn't provide any alternatives as to how you can show your lack of support for this decision by Ubisoft. Sad fact is the best way to show your lack of support is not to buy the game (or wait for it to have dropped in price considerably). Sadly most companies would not be likely to consider that to be the cause in any way and would rather say something like "clearly there is no enough interest in Rayman on the wiiU".

Personally this would have been a day one purchase for me in February, now I shall wait for a steep discount, unless of course the game turns out to be less then stellar based on what I hear from certain people.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I find it funny how the so called dev says "don't take it out on the game" but doesn't provide any alternatives as to how you can show your lack of support for this decision by Ubisoft. Sad fact is the best way to show your lack of support is not to buy the game (or wait for it to have dropped in price considerably). Sadly most companies would not be likely to consider that to be the cause in any way and would rather say something like "clearly there is no enough interest in Rayman on the wiiU".
Personally this would have been a day one purchase for me in February, now I shall wait for a steep discount, unless of course the game turns out to be less then stellar based on what I hear from certain people.

Well put.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

OHHHHHHHHHH UBI, What are ya doin???

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

ha ha ha, miiverse is still raging from this.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!