• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I started doing Lets Plays yesterday and I also wanna start doing game/movie reviews and I also wanna become big like PewDiePie.

The people who inspired me was: Felix Kjellberg (PewDiePie), James Rolfe (AVGN) and Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic.)

I recently released my first episode of me playing Dead Space 3. Is there anything I can improve on?
Here is the video.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Impressive. Great for a first time. Im not lying you are good. I love to do Youtube too although I do mainly rants now. Keep it up bro.

Signature_DK.png

#3 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm fearful of watching this because PooDiePie inspired you... Oh well, whatever.

Yep, PewDiePie's influence is present all over the video. :/

If you're not going to scream properly, then don't scream at all. It's annoying to be constantly hearing muffled screams (it's also annoying to be hearing screams all the time, so I suggest you don't do it unless you're ACTUALLY aggravated because of the events in the game. Aka: Let it come naturally, don't force it).

Don't repeat the same thing over and over, it's just not funny to be hearing "Calm your tits, lady" every 20 seconds.

Never. NEVER say the word "bro" unless you want the PewDiePie fanbase to invade your videos and call you a rip-off for the rest of your life.

There's this "BRRRP" noise in the background. You may want to take care of it.

Don't hide your voice, speak up.

Most people don't appreciate it when you keep interrupting the characters while they're mid-dialogue. I can't understand you, and I can't understand the story. It's a lose-lose situation.

Well, there's some more to nitpick about, but I'll leave that stuff for some other time.

Try to get yourself a schedule, people are more likely to subscribe if they see you upload videos every day/week. Not posting for 3 months and then posting 7 videos in a day will just alienate your subscribers.
It doesn't matter if no one sees your videos, don't stop bringing them.

It's understandable that you want to imitate your favorite LP's, but branch out and make your own commenting style.

Edited by Waller, 11 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#4 DragonChi

DragonChi

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Diablo and Zelda

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Just finished watching your first episode, here are my thoughts:

From someone who watches a TON of let's plays. It's become a new favorite pass-time of mine in the last few years as they have become more and more prominent. I can tell you a few things. Firstly, for your first vid, its actually not that bad. The amount of talking and silence was reasonably balanced, it felt very natural hearing your thoughts and reactions to whatever was going on and at no point did anything feel annoying or unnecessary. So for a first time, you did very well.

Now, here is where you can improve. I think you could talk a little louder. It was hard to hear you sometimes. Try and come out loud and clear but without shouting obviously. Secondly, it makes it more enjoyable for the audience if you can provide any kind of background to the game. keep the watchers informed and educated on parts of the games your playing. It makes the let's play more interesting and it will make people want to keep watching to learn more. I can give you a couple other let's player names that do an especially good job at commentary to give you a good idea of what that sounds like.

Lastly, some additional pointers. From what I have heard from let's players or any internet podcast celebrity, be it anyone from That Guy With The Glasses or PewDiePie (All of whom I too are a fan of) The best advice they give, is to just..be yourself. Don't force anything. Come up with your own style. Invent a few staple ideas that makes you unique and memorable. Perfect example..PewDiePie's hatred for Barrels and calling inanimate objects human names and personalities. Find your own niche. The fanbase will come naturally, but it will take a long time to get noticed. Your main focus should just be, play the games to have fun as you would normally, and people who like your style will find you. At that point, the word of your existence will start to spread a little. Keep doing it regardless of how many viewers you get. That will change in time. When you get followers, they will see you are dedicated and consistent.

Another good idea, for starting off, is to play games that are WIDELY popular that will attract people. Adventure/RPG's or Horror games seem to be the best choices. You may also want to think about shuffling between 2 or 3 let's plays of different genres. This will allow more people to keep interest. It also keeps things fresh. More things for viewers to look forward to. General things like that.

Anyway, That's all the advice I can give. Hope it's helpful.

As for the let's players that give REALLY good commentary, go have a look at ShadyParadox and Dilandau3000. They do the Myst Series games. They are amazing to listen to. If you are playing a game for the first time and don't know a whole lot about the backstory, do some research on it. It will be appreciated.

Edited by DragonChi, 11 February 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#5 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

First of all, I love you for not having a 30-second intro. No intro should exceed 5 seconds- it's just a waste of time.

If you can't be loud when you swear, then don't do a "scream-with-an-inside-voice" kind of swear, as those are pathetic. ;_;
This "rule" also applies with screaming.

Other than that, you do quite fine, and I hope you strike it big.

On a side note:

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!